• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Wine Clip

docsconz

Alex,

THAT IS TOO DAMNED FUNNY.  Maybe we could find some Hello Kitty stemware, too.

Glasses and mugs. Don't see the stemware. http://store.yahoo.com/sanriostore/categor...ccessories.html

For the vibrator (your choice of regular or deluxe) and numerous other HK items, go to J-List, click on "View All J-List Products," then do a search for Hello Kitty. I love this web site.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting Wine Clip development. John Sculley, ex CEO of Apple Computer and Pepsi, has signed on as Strategic Advisor to the company and is also an investor.

Mr. Wine Clip has also upgraded the website to include testimonials from Mr Sculley, chefs, "avid wine drinkers", business people, etc.

Still no mention of any scientific studies (or eGullet).

I'll be bringing mine out (the Wine Clip that is) on Thanksgiving for our guests to try.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

that terribly unscientific taste test was interesting on several levels.

i found it interesting that just about everyone used "less bitter" as a descriptor. tannins, or words that i usually associate with tannins, weren't used very often.

judging by the awkward swirling technique of some of those people, i'm not sure that they're as "avid" as one might hope. although, i suppose if they're selling to the "average joe", i suppose that wouldn't matter.

I'll be bringing mine out (the Wine Clip that is) on Thanksgiving for our guests to try.

In what way? :raz:

Somehow I don't think either will be seen on his website any time soon.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Scully practically destroyed Apple Computer to the best of my recollection. I'm not sure his judgement is the greatest. This reinforces that opinion.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Interesting Wine Clip development. John Sculley, ex CEO of Apple Computer and Pepsi, has signed on as Strategic Advisor to the company and is also an investor.

Mr. Wine Clip has also upgraded the website to include testimonials from Mr Sculley, chefs, "avid wine drinkers", business people, etc.

I smell a pink sheet IPO

• 3 weeks later...

So now Anthony Dias Blue has jumped aboard.

In his usual radio gig, he supported the Wine Clip as an "ingeniuos invention that actually works."

He first stated that he is usually skeptical of devices purported to improve the taste of wine but said that the Wine Clip seemed to improve the wine's drinkability and soften the tannins and would make a great gift for a wine geek friend.

I believe he is well respected in the wine community, no?

Or are we going to pile on Anthony Dias Blue now?

Based upon my personal experience with the wine clip, I must question his integrity, yes. It certainly leads me to question any other recommendation from him.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

So now Anthony Dias Blue has jumped aboard.

In his usual radio gig, he supported the Wine Clip as an "ingeniuos invention that actually works."

He first stated that he is usually skeptical of devices purported to improve the taste of wine but said that the Wine Clip seemed to improve the wine's drinkability and soften the tannins and would make a great gift for a wine geek friend.

I believe he is well respected in the wine community, no?

Or are we going to pile on Anthony Dias Blue now?

No need to pile. I'm sure that there are many people with excellent palates who for whatever reason would not bother scrutinizing the WC like we did here. I'd be curious to know what kind of comparisons he did, if he is receiving any kind of endorsement fee, etc.

The quote from Mr. Blue is on the Wine Clip website under testimonials.

Thanks for the reference, Mark. For some strange reason there weren't any eGullet quotes.

I imagine it's not their highest priority, but has there been any word from your Berkeley friend or Lawrence Livermore?

Thanks for the reference, Mark. For some strange reason there weren't any eGullet quotes.

I imagine it's not their highest priority, but has there been any word from your Berkeley friend or Lawrence Livermore?

Yes,

Berkeley friend reported positive results similar to those we found. No word from the lab yet.

Mark

Alex, I believe the reason there aren't any eGullet quotes has more to do with eGullet's copyright policy than members not willing to be quoted.

Also, I highly doubt that Anthony Dias Blue was paid a penny by Mr. Wine Clip, especially when he runs at least one major wine tasting event that is considered to be unbiased and objective.

Alex, I believe the reason there aren't any eGullet quotes has more to do with eGullet's copyright policy than members not willing to be quoted.

Yes, you're right. However, my tongue-in-cheek comment referenced Dennis Lynch's (Mr. Wine Clip) perception that he was unfairly and vindictively booted off eGullet.

Yes, you're right. However, my tongue-in-cheek comment referenced Dennis Lynch's (Mr. Wine Clip) perception that he was unfairly and vindictively booted off eGullet.

Sorry, I didn't get the "tongue in cheek" aspect of your post.

I have no idea whether or not he was unfairly booted off of eGullet but I do think he was treated unfairly and vindictively by several members.

• 3 years later...

Just a note... the wine clip is now selling for $39.95 (wood gift box option) and ONLY $34.95 (standard box). I guess they're selling it for less than the previous $50 rate because of *gasp* lack of sales?

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

This was an interesting read :D

When I worked in homebrew/winemaking we had a few gadgets that had similar claims, they were just magnets encased in a faux wood finish that the bottle rested on for half an hour or so. I dont think we sold more than 1-2 in my entire time there, but my boss did extend an unconditional refund on them, as most people were very skeptical. I don't recall anyone wanting their money back, but like i said, we barely sold a handful.