• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Wine Clip

docsconz

By weight they are more powerful. I have several of them as tools and they do better than larger composite or iron magnates.  If compared gram for gram they are far superior.

Any claims as to improving wine or getting better gas mileage may be suspect.

yeah but are they more powerful than really really really big magnets?

I guess for some reading comprehension is a weak point? I gave a basic explanation in my last post. Anything else I leave to the reader. :hmmm:

yeah, but how about super-sized magnets?

By weight they are more powerful. I have several of them as tools and they do better than larger composite or iron magnates.  If compared gram for gram they are far superior.

Any claims as to improving wine or getting better gas mileage may be suspect.

yeah but are they more powerful than really really really big magnets?

I guess for some reading comprehension is a weak point? I gave a basic explanation in my last post. Anything else I leave to the reader. :hmmm:

yeah, but how about super-sized magnets?

But what happens if you have really tiny ones?

I open my offer to all the serious people on this thread. If you would like a free Wine Clip and agree to write your review with INTELLIGENCE, I will send it to you. If you don't see a significant improvement - well then - by all means write so. I will be shocked.

But if your plan is to write some of the foolishness I've read of late, save me the money and time, please.

Email your names and addresses to dl@thewineclip.com

Re: eGullet test

Thank you for your time -

Dennis Lynch

Dear Mr. Lynch,

You sir are a man of your convictions and are to be complimented for putting your reputation on the line. I would suggest we select three veteran tasters to conduct this test and report back.

I would nominate:

Docsconz

Florida Jim

Mark Sommelier

as our committee that will test your product with an open mind and report back their honest opinions. If all are in agreement I will have them contact you.

Once again my compliments for standing up for your product.

Best regards,

Craig Camp

I have emailed Mr. Lynch and look forward to participating in the trial. I pledge to be objective and report back positively, neutrally or negatively based upon my experience with the product. I will also report on the testing parameters used as well as the wines tasted.

One way or another this will be fun. If it works, it will be a nice addition to our oenophilic armamentarium. If not....

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

An excellent suggestion. I could get one and bring it to our next tasting, but I would be more interested in the opinions of these gentlemen.

Although to be fair, a double blind tasting would be the most honest way to test it.

Bruce

I know people who think putting in peanuts improves the taste of Dr. Pepper. Wonder if it works on wine? Hmmm.... Peanut power! Who needs magnets--and you can eat them!

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I open my offer to all the serious people on this thread.  If you would like a free Wine Clip and agree to write your review with INTELLIGENCE, I will send it to you.  If you don't see a significant improvement - well then - by all means write so.  I will be shocked.

But if your plan is to write some of the foolishness I've read of late, save me the money and time, please. 

Email your names and addresses to dl@thewineclip.com

Re: eGullet test

Thank you for your time -

Dennis Lynch

perhaps his PR department should be handling this. :laugh::unsure:

I appreciate the folks that emailed me their addresses. As I promised each has been sent a Wine Clip. Even a gentlemen in South Africa was sent one at no cost.

To best test the product...

Open a bottle of red - I care less what kind or what year. Pour a glass. Then pour a glass with The Wine Clip attached to the bottle neck, arrow up. Taste the glass which was poured with The Wine Clip first. Then the glass which was poured without.

You'll notice a smoother more refined wine. In many cases, even the bouquet is better.

For the skeptics and "hecklers" who continue to comment with negativity, I suggest reading up on Michael Farraday and his findings on how liquid changes when passing through a magnetic field.

As for being my own PR department, thanks for the compliment, but I am not. Perhaps you'd like to use our PR agency. www.vorhaus.com

All you'll need is $20k per month and a great idea and perhaps they'll listen to you.

Enjoy the wine.

Thanks.

Dennis Lynch

I'm curious. If you use this device with the arrow pointing in the wrong direction, what happens to the wine? Does it get more tannic? Perhaps the testers can tell us.

Like Bruce, I would strongly advocate a double blind test.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I'm curious.  If you use this device with the arrow pointing in the wrong direction, what happens to the wine? Does it get more tannic? Perhaps the testers can tell us.

If it does indeed get more tannic then maybe we can use it to revive wine which is over the hill. Think of the possibilities! That case of 1985 nouveau you've got in the cellar could be drinking like the day it was bottled!

If you place the arrow downward the result will be the same, just less dramatic. Some of have said they like it better with the arrow down, again it comes to preference.

TOMMY :angry: I have a sense of humor. See :raz:

If you have $20k why not buy a wine clip for $50? :biggrin:

If you have $20k why not buy a wine clip for $50? :biggrin:

because you promised you'd send one for free! :biggrin::wink:

Maybe you can get the clip in time for Italy, tommy. Bet the locals would get a kick out of watching you magnetize their wine.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

The idea of a magnetic field being able to improve wine, brandy, etc. has been circulating for a long time. I was told of this nearly 30 years ago. So, of course, I had to check this out. A friend and I did a blind taste test of a cheap California red (the only kind we drank back then :wacko: ), probably Gallo Hearty Burgundy. I rotated the filled glass as I held a strong refrigerator magnet to it. We turned our backs and another friend chose the tasting order. I was able to notice a small but consistent smoothing out of the treated wine, but the effect wore off after a while. I have not tried this experiment since.

I was turned off by the exaggeration and hype (and poor editing) on the web site: "You'll instantly experience a smoother, less tanic (sic) taste and enhanced bouquet similar to that of wines which are aged for years in professional cellars." Puh-leeze. I admire Dennis's willingness to put this item to the test, though, and so I will e-mail him with my address. I do know how to set up well-controlled double-blind studies, so we'll see....

(BTW, Dennis, those hover-over page changes make it really, really difficult to navigate the site. I also find JavaScript pop-ups pretty annoying.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Taste the glass which was poured with The Wine Clip first.  Then the glass which was poured without. 

You'll notice a smoother more refined wine.  In many cases, even the bouquet is better.

This is not a good way to test the device because you are changing three variables together -- pouring it first, tasting it first, and using the clip.

If you don't use the wine clip, you might also notice a difference between the two glasses -- one will have had a bit longer to breathe,

be at a slightly different temperature etc. You should flip a coin to decide whether to use the wine clip first, and flip another coin to decide which one to taste.

Not that it really matters ....

Taste the glass which was poured with The Wine Clip first.  Then the glass which was poured without. 

You'll notice a smoother more refined wine.  In many cases, even the bouquet is better.

This is not a good way to test the device because you are changing three variables together -- pouring it first, tasting it first, and using the clip.

If you don't use the wine clip, you might also notice a difference between the two glasses -- one will have had a bit longer to breathe,

be at a slightly different temperature etc. You should flip a coin to decide whether to use the wine clip first, and flip another coin to decide which one to taste.

Not that it really matters ....

I agree; this is not a good test.

Find two identical bottles of wine. Have the associate use the clip on one and not on the other. Pour a glass of each. Drink, wait, pour another glass...do whatever you want, as long as you do the same thing to both glasses and don't know which glass came from the clipped bottle. Take notes.

Repeat with four or five bottles.

That's the way to test the clip.

Bruce

You can test the clip any way you want to. Taking two bottles is not the best way, but by all means do what you wish.

The reason why we suggest pouring a glass without, then pouring a glass with the clip --- then tasting the treated (clipped) glass first is doing it the other way will leave bitter tannins on your pallet.

:wub: Bottom line: Take the test any way you want to - it works.

As for the remarks about our site, its content and functionality...

a) thanks for taking the time to visit

b) i will share your comments with our writers

c) we have a new site being developed. the site will have video clips showing real taste tests and explanations on how liquid changes when passed through a magnetic field.

As for the WWW not having ample info about wine and magnetics...

Tommy, you are correct, it's real hard to find and that's why we made a patent. Water has been the one liquid form that's been using magnetics. In many cases, "using magnetic fields with hard water is a must have", vs. magnetics with wine, which is a "nice to have."

FYI... You have over 600 magnets in your automobile but try finding that on the WWW.

:wacko:

Enjoy your clips.

:huh: