• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Wine Clip

docsconz

I just received an e-mail ad for The Wine Clip. I generally just ignore this kind of ad, but I was curious to look at this since I've had a good experience with the seller in the past. My initial feeling is that this is just another gimmick and nonsense. Does anyone have any experience with this?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I feel that winemakers make their wine to be drunk out of the bottle with no gimmicks apart from a little decanting, when appropriate. The wine clip seems like a gimmick to me, though i haven't tried it myself. However, in biodynamic vinification, wines are often aged facing magnetic north to increase energy flow (?). So there may be something to this. There are magnetic molecules in wine ( as there are in drinking water). I would also like to know of anyone who has tried this.

I still feel natural is best. If you have to adjust a wine with a magnet, maybe that wine isn't worth wasting your money on.

The Wine Clip is powered by an array of Rare Earth Neodymium Iron Boron magnets - the most powerful magnets available.

So they're more powerful than the giant electromagnets that are used to pick up cars or direct the path of subatomic particles in particle accelerators?

Someone else had a "stand" for the bottle to be placed upon, featuring magnets in the base and up top.

I contacted some researchers at UC Davis who were eager to test this wine "enhancing" device. They concluded that the magnets might have some impact for a moment, but once the wine was poured into a glass the magnets' effects (if there were any) would be negated.

If wineries could soften the tannins in a wine with magnetized tanks, they could probably save a lot of money on not purchasing French or American oak barrels.

Anyway, it's another bit of hocus pocus which, ultimately, has no effect save for one called the "placebo effect."

What should draw you to the bottle, in the first place, is the wine's own magnetic qualities.

Edited by Echezeaux (log)

What should draw you to the bottle, in the first place, is the wine's own magnectic qualities.

Indeed!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Someone else had a "stand" for the bottle to be placed upon, featuring magnets in the base and up top. 

I contacted some researchers at UC Davis who were eager to test this wine "enhancing" device.  They concluded that the magnets might have some impact for a moment, but once the wine was poured into a glass the magnets' effects (if there were any) would be negated. 

If wineries could soften the tannins in a wine with magnetized tanks, they could probably save a lot of money on not purchasing French or American oak barrels.

Anyway, it's another bit of hocus pocus which, ultimately, has no effect save for one called the "placebo effect."

What should draw you to the bottle, in the first place, is the wine's own magnectic qualities.

The store I work for started carrying the magnetic base-and-stopper version of this about a year ago. I wrote to Robert Wolke (Washington Post food science writer and author of What Einstein Told His Cook) to ask him if there was any validity to the claims about "lengthening the tannin chains" and he said (and I quote) that it's bullshit.

We had a demonstration of the product in which the vendor poured out a glass of very cheap red wine. We tasted it -- it was not good. Then he placed the stopper in the bottle, placed the bottle on the magnet base and we waited for, I don't know -- about a half hour. Then we tasted the wine again. It was better, but not better than it would have been with a glass poured out and left to its own devices sans magnet. The contact with the air softened the wine a bit, but I was the only one in the room who seemed to realize that. I aksed about white wines, given their lower tannin content, but did not receive a satisfactory answer. Then my manager told me to be quiet. So I was, but one of my goals at work ever since has been to dissuade anyone who's remotely interested in them from buying one.

As for this version, the clip, it seems even less likely that it could affect the quality of the wine. It would probably demagnetize one's credit cards, though, which might keep one from making any more stupid purchases, at least for a while.

I tend to think that this is silly hocus-pocus, too. I remember years ago, the Trader Vic's chain started featuring "Pyramid Wine". Their little table tents extolled the magical qualities of the pyramid. They claimed the pyramid would make wine taste as if it had been aged for years, just by putting the cases inside for a while. Sure enough, near the front door there was a cheesy plywood "pyramid" loaded up with cases of Almaden Mountain varietals. Yum - NOT.

Mark

I, too, recall the Trader Vic's promotion and the featuring of "Mountain Wines" from Almaden.

There's a winery which believes a pyramid-shaped cellar enhances the quality of its wines.

http://www.winepressnw.com/stories/vol3no1...o1/pyramid.html

I wonder if they've thought about getting grapes from vines cultivated in a pyramid-shaped green house or if the winery owner merely goes into their vineyard to peer-amid the vines?

:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I happened to be at a wine tasting event in Philadelphia on Sunday, September 21, where there were thousands of visitors. It was called: Sippin' On The River. The Wine Clip had a "taste test" booth at this event. There were many hundreds of people who tried The Wine Clip out on a number of different red wines. I watched at various times and can say that everybody I saw seemed amazed that it actually worked! Yes, I tried it and it definetly made the wine taste smoother. I even watched as a number of reps from some of the wine companies who were also at the event tried it as well. Yes, they also tasted a difference. Some folks came back a number of times with their friends in order to see their reaction. I doubt that The Wine Clip people would have participated in this wine tasting event if they didn't have confidence in their product.

I love reading these comments! My name is Dennis Lynch and I am a co-founder of The Wine Clip. Without going into detail, I'm an accomplished, award winning businessman. I've been featured on CNN, CNBC and ABC News as well as interviewed by The Wall Street Journal, New York Times and many many more.

I too was skeptical when first introduced to the idea of changing the taste of wine through the use of magnetics. But the person who intorduced me to the concept was a credible friend who operated a repectable magnet company. I had no other choice but to try it. I did and I admit I was confused how it could work, but it did and I was amazed. So amazed that I bought the company (sound familiar?)!

I am now engaged on a day to day basis, selling Wine Clips, conducting taste tests and positioning this product to become a "need-to-have" wine accessory.

Someone in this group mentioned the wine coaster, it works too but takes way too long and the impact is not the same as with The Wine Clip.

I invite the leader of this group to send me his address. I will send you a Wine Clip for free. Try it. If you like it, which you will, I invite you to post a positive review to this forum. From there, if any one of you who took the effort to post a negative thought would like to take the effort to try The Wine Clip - contact me and I will send you one for only $20. If you don't like it, I'll give you your money back + $10.

Sometimes science can't be explained but it also can't be denied!

I was assured, upon reading your post and credentials, that you have complete objectivity regarding this subject. I still stand by the "spank decant" method for young wines; free, sexier and nothing to do with Chez Santa.

cheers, carema :smile:

Edited by Carema (log)

over it

I have a few comments about "thewineclip" and his message.

After reviewing the eG User Agreement, it appears that I cannot post them, as they're likely to violate the intent (and possibly the letter) of the Agreement, even though they'd be intended as entertainment, rather than attacks.

Sigh.

After further review of the site linked above, I have good news. If you've purchased any of the following products and had favorable results, then you should get the Wine Clip, you'll likely love it!

Therapeutic magnets

Therapeutic crystals

The 'laundry disc'

Breast/penis enlargement creams/pills/devices

HGH (Human Growth Hormone) supplements

(Many others that don't spring readily to mind - additions welcome, but be aware the High Sheriffs of eG)

(Apologies to the Wine Clip that I haven't inserted ™ or ® marks appropriately). "Wine Clip" is likely a trademark or registered trademark of the company. Sorry).

Edit: didn't know how to do TM or R marks; turns out that they were done automatically by putting them in parens - ( TM ) and/or ( R ) - Kewl!

Edited by Human Bean (log)

I love this.  Quack medicine applied to wine.

Why didn't I think of it???

Too late for magnets, apparently, but there's still hope.

How about...

The Healing Power Of Crystals applied to wine (er, mentioned that one above, more-or-less).

Or, Custom Astological Advice For Wine Purchases.

Or, Feng Shui Advice For Wine Purchasers.

Or, Biorythmic Analysis For Wine Buyers. (an oldie that's due for a resurgence).

Or, Wine Enhanced By Orgone Energy (very much an oldie, but it'll work, trust me).

Or, Pyramid Power applied to wine can also make a return visit - it's been awhile, why not?

Or, Custom Wine Crypto-Molecular-Unscrambling Technology (with your rep, you'd OWN this one, fer sure).

Or... (It's late, I'm tired, but there are many others).

Some of these are services, some are products; all are viable. (The supply of gullible morons is endless).

I'm expecting a reasonable finder's fee for these ideas..Let's talk.

"thewineclip," or anyone else, don't even THINK about trying to steal these ideas, we've got Powerful Lawyers that have already filed the appropriate paperwork; you don't have a chance. The very same firm that we've employed will soon be victorious when they prove that corporate behemoth IBM has run roughshod over a small business called SCO (the average eG reader is not expected to understand this. Sorry).

[Apologies to anyone whose deeply held beliefs might have been mentioned here. I'm obviously uninformed, but I'm aware of it, and will see the truth very soon - no need to give me further enlightenment).

If you like it, which you will, I invite you to post a positive review to this forum. From there, if any one of you who took the effort to post a negative thought would like to take the effort to try The Wine Clip - contact me and I will send you one for only $20. If you don't like it, I'll give you your money back + $10.

Hang on there, guys. I think that this is a perfectly reasonable offer. I agree that this seems like hokum, but, given the offer, it should be easy to prove or disprove the claim. Come on, Mark, let the man send you a sample, test it and let us know the result.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

The Wine Clip is powered by an array of Rare Earth Neodymium Iron Boron magnets - the most powerful magnets available.

So they're more powerful than the giant electromagnets that are used to pick up cars or direct the path of subatomic particles in particle accelerators?

By weight they are more powerful. I have several of them as tools and they do better than larger composite or iron magnates. If compared gram for gram they are far superior.

Any claims as to improving wine or getting better gas mileage may be suspect.

Living hard will take its toll...

By weight they are more powerful. I have several of them as tools and they do better than larger composite or iron magnates.  If compared gram for gram they are far superior.

yeah but are they more powerful than really really really big magnets?

By weight they are more powerful. I have several of them as tools and they do better than larger composite or iron magnates.  If compared gram for gram they are far superior.

yeah but are they more powerful than really really really big magnets?

I guess for some reading comprehension is a weak point? I gave a basic explanation in my last post. Anything else I leave to the reader. :hmmm:

Living hard will take its toll...