• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Ling - eating on a (very small) student budget

Ling

My grandma used to make that green bean casserole for our TG dinners when I was growing up...decades ago :smile::wub:

I still make it for TG dinner every year (for sentimental reasons because she is gone) and every year it disappears. I think it's just one of those items...

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

On Top 5, I believe they used canned green beans in the casserole. Is this the way it's done, or can you use fresh green beans too? And would you blanch the green beans before covering them in the sauce--if you were to use fresh ones? (Maybe I'll make this for Christmas...) I've never seen the french fried onions in supermarkets up here though.

Suzanne: You're right. I am so weak... :blush:

Edited by Ling (log)

Had a few minutes before work, so I went to Safeway to buy my student a treat--Sour Patch Kids from the bulk bin.

Sour patch kids!

My second favorite food in the world :biggrin:

they are not available in Japan and so I go crazy when I am in the US, my mom sent me a package last week and inside there were 3 packs of sour patch kids, I had to share the first two with my kids because they saw it, but I just savored the last pack 30 minutes ago.....

I can still taste them........... :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Forgot to add that I had 2 monster-sized chicken breasts (defrosted in the microwave) and sauteed onions (a big one--I bought the 4 biggest ones I could find at Safeway yesterday) for dinner. Then had 2 cans of diet pop and a big cup of orange pekoe tea with sugar and milk. Then spent time surfing the net (especially egullet) when I should have been studying...oops.

I was looking in the Toronto forum, since I hope to be moving there soon. The menus for Bymark and North 44 look good. Is it just me or does the name "Bymark" remind you of some low-cost supermarket ("Buy-mark", I guess)?

My midterm is on Friday and I haven't even read most of the chapters for the first time yet!! :shock: I am studying with a friend tomorrow after work though. Guess I will be pulling an all-nighter again.

Edited by Ling (log)

I didn't know about the green bean casserole topped with french fried onions, and smothered in cream of mushroom soup until I saw it on that FoodTV show, Top 5. I think the category that night was "Food Trends of the 70s" or something like that.

I actually don't think it sounds that horrible. I like cream of mushroom soup occasionally, and how can crispy fried onion pieces be bad?  :biggrin:

It isn't that bad, actually. As far as cream of mushroom soup casseroles go anyway. It has lots of fat and lots of salt - how bad could it be (except for your arteries, of course).

On Top 5, I believe they used canned green beans in the casserole. Is this the way it's done, or can you use fresh green beans too? And would you blanch the green beans before covering them in the sauce--if you were to use fresh ones? (Maybe I'll make this for Christmas...) I've never seen the french fried onions in supermarkets up here though.

The recipe on the onion can calls for canned green beans, and frozen can be substituted without making any changes. But I have made it a couple times with fresh green beans, and as you'd expect, it's much better. I sliced up and sauteed some crimini mushrooms and garlic to add in. When using fresh green beans, it's absolutely crucial to blanch first - otherwise it takes at least 90 minutes to cook (yes, I found this out the hard way).

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

If you think Kraft mac and cheese is bad, you should taste this! The cheese sauce is really thin and pale yellow.

My youngest daughter loves the supermarket brand mac n' cheese and any brand is my husband's favorite side dish. I usually doctor it up by adding a bit more milk, or half and half, then I put in a casserole dish and sprinkle corn flake crumbs over the top, dot with butter and bake at 350 for about thirty minutes. While it pains me to make it from a box, they're happy as clams and it's cheap.

I had tea for breakfast. I had to use the old teabag I saved from last night's cup b/c I only have 2 teabags left and can't make it to the grocery store until after school tomorrow.

Also ate a can of sardines in tomato sauce.

Here's a link to the picture of the last "real" meal I cooked. It was rabbit (my first time cooking and eating rabbit) braised in some mustard sauce. I also made risotto with the rabbit stock, porcini mushrooms, and finished it with parm reggianno (sp?). The appetizer I made was some sort of escargot dish--that wasn't very good. The dessert was coffee brandy creme brulee or something. Didn't bother uploading the pictures for that b/c they turned out really blurry.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/y_lorna/l....src=ph&.view=t

Edited by Ling (log)

I had 3 scrambled eggs just now (for my 2nd lunch, I guess) and a diet coke and 2 glasses of water. Still kind of hungry (must be the cold, rainy weather) so I'll have some cheese before I leave for work. After work, I'll be going to Bread Garden (chain that serves sandwiches, some hot pre-made food like quiches, lasagna, etc., and dessert) to study with my friend. I'm not going to eat there though (food's not very good, even for a sandwich place) but I'll order a drink so the manager won't kick me out. :raz: Yes, I'm one of those annoying students who orders one drink, brings a pile of homework to do, and takes up a table for an hour or two. What can I say--we're cheap and poor and the local library closes early. :wink:

Also, I'm bringing an Atkins bar to eat there after work.

Edited by Ling (log)

Peanut Butter again? That's my fave too...not great, but decent for what they are.

=R=

won't kick me out. :raz: Yes, I'm one of those annoying students who orders one drink, brings a pile of homework to do, and takes up a table for an hour or two. What can I say--we're cheap and poor and the local library closes early. :wink:

wow, where are you that the library closes that early?

is that the school library? aren't there coffee shops that would be better than restaurants?

and you do look cute.

based on what you've written so far, not what i expected though.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

okay, i was about to say, don't you have coffee shops, but guess bread garden is a coffee shop.

doesn't school library stay open late?

i expected you to be alterna-asian chick. maybe some dyed blue/purple/red hair, pierced nose, thrift shop clothes, etc.

lucky i'm across the continent(Philly), you can't throw anything at me.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

okay, i was about to say, don't you have coffee shops, but guess bread garden is a coffee shop.

doesn't school library stay open late?

i expected you to be alterna-asian chick. maybe some dyed blue/purple/red hair, pierced nose, thrift shop clothes, etc.

lucky i'm across the continent(Philly), you can't throw anything at me.

The school library is over half an hour away from me! Don't want to drive out that far, especially when it's dark and rainy. Bread Garden is 2 minutes away from where I was working today.

I didn't know that I sounded like an alterna-asian chick. Actually, I don't think we have many of those in Vancouver, and there's a huge Asian population here. It's kind of a running joke that all Asian girls pretty much look the same in our city.

Edited by Ling (log)

Diet Pepsi, Fat Free Cheese, Low Cal Jello, Atkins bars... You are beautiful and rather thin (109 lbs + a little holiday weight), why all the talk about dieting and low cal products? You don't need a diet in the least, the holiday pounds will probably just naturally come off as you go back to regular eating habits. Fat free cheese is not cheese. Water is way cheaper than soda. I can forgive the Atkins bars as meals on the go, but aren't they rather expensive? Some homemade trail mix would be cheaper, more nutritious, and just as filling.

I even entertained the notion that the dish was invented by Sandra Lee.

Did you mean Sandra Dee or Sara Lee? :laugh:

The recipe says canned, I use frozen (french cut). I've tried making the much better for you and better tasting version (everything from scratch), no one liked it as well. :sad:

I finally finished reading your blog and it's been fun although you really don't eat very much even if one adds up all your mini-meals. Reminds me of my UBC days (Bio '95).

I doubt things have changed all that much at the UBC libraries: the Main Stacks are scary, Sedgewick is for sleeping, serious studying is over at the IRC with all the med, dent, pharmacy and pre-med/dent students. There's other libraries, but it's about a mile walk from parking to any of them and it's hard when you have a bag overflowing with books.

The recipe says canned, I use frozen (french cut). I've tried making the much better for you and better tasting version (everything from scratch), no one liked it as well. :sad:

LOL! My experience has been the same. The popularity of (100% canned) GBC is mythical and mystical...

=R=

LOL! My experience has been the same. The popularity of (100% canned) GBC is mythical and mystical...

=R=

I like using fresh green beans, but that's as far as I'd go in from-scratching it. Campbell's Cream of Mushroom has its own indefineable taste that I certainly wouldn't attempt to duplicate. And the french fried onions - I'm not even sure I'd know where to start duplicating those!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

James Villas, in one of his cookbooks, has very harsh words for those who attempt to make classic Murkin canned-soup casseroles with roux and fresh veggies et al. Well, not so much harsh -- he says he tried the experiment many times, only to realize that the authentic identity of these casseroles (meaning the Great GBC, as well as tasties like tuna casserole) requires certain processed products, that making them from scratch doesn't make them better, only less themselves. Kind of like making salade nicoise with fresh tuna rather than tinned, or making brandade with fresh cod rather than salted-and-dried. It's not that the scratch version isn't as "good" (or better), it's just that it isn't the same dish.

I'd bet there's any number of dishes that come from our various childhoods that rely, for their essential nostalgic savor, on tacky processed products that our adult palates would cringe from, most of the time. I was never a Fluffernutter eater, but I'd guess that people who adored Fluffs as kids -- and who retain a yearning for them, with all the safety and mom-love they represent -- would not be satisfied with a sandwich made with pure, unadulterated PB (instead of Jif or Skippy), and homemade marshmallow sauce on an artisinal baguette.