• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger King

Jinmyo

Just need to say, in Olympia, WA, I find Burger Thing to be first ( especially since I can see and smell the grill) comes first,  McFondalds a distant second ( and I am a stockholder) and Wendheaves a deep distant third.  And, may I say, I have never had as bad a burger, sober or not, as I had last night at our local Wendy's.  YUCH!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We have both BK and MD franchises in South Africa. I have never tried a BK meal as they were caught subbing part of their beef with horse meat a couple of years ago. Horse meat is illegal in South Africa for human consumption due to certain disease reasons and the fact that there is no registered abattoirs here for horse meat, which means no checks on the meat, disease or quality.

When MD opened their franchises here about 20 years ago, there was an ongoing PR campaign on how all their staff had been sent to the US for training and management had also spent weeks there on quality control, management and how to run the franchises "the American way". That all turned out to be a PR load of BS. About three months after the first franchise opened in my area a friend suggested we stop off and get a couple of burgers one lunch time. I must admit it was the most delicious slab of cardboard I have ever eaten - very similar to the beef flavoured ration pack biscuits we used to have during the Rhodesian war - you had to drive a truck over the biscuits after soaking them in water overnight to be able to eat them!

To be honest, I really do not know how anybody can eat either of the franchise offerings - they really are not good to eat or for your health. Not here anyway - do not know about the US or anywhere else as I am not willing to punish my body by trying.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I will not cross the street to eat at either one with a very few exceptions:

Breakfast -- McDonald's hash browns will stand between me and starvation. One of those with an apple pie will carb me up for the day. Their coffee is acceptable, as long as you catch it fresh. 

Burger King, however, has French toast sticks, which I absolutely adore, but will rarely order, as I am pretty certain an order of them is about 5,000 calories.

If I am starving, it's lunch or dinner time, and those two are my only options, I'll reluctantly go with BK, unless it's my one time a year to want a fish sandwich. Their burgers are better. My eldest, however, will not eat them because, she contends, they use Liquid Smoke, which is another one of her migraine triggers.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 months later...

Cheesy Tots are returning to Burger King for a limited time:

"Napoleon Dynamite and Pedro announce Burger King's Cheesy Tots"

“Fans have been craving the return of Cheesy Tots for some time now,” said Alex Macedo, President, North America, for the Burger King brand. “So we wanted to give loyalists a holiday surprise after we heard so many of their requests. Now they’ll be able to warm up to these cozy cheese and potato bites this holiday season.”

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver,

Have you tried them? Are they any good?

I was unable to find the ingredients from BK online. I'm always suspicious of "cheese" from fast food outlets. So frequently now, whey and "stuff" is made into something that passes for cheese to most palates, but I don't cotton to it.

> ^ . . ^ <

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 9:00 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@Toliver,

Have you tried them? Are they any good?

I tried them last week. Very disappointing. Hardly cheesy at all and as tots go in general, they were a big fail, as well.They were more like tot "crowns" with a bit of cheese on top, then breaded and fried. Surprisingly not crunchy at all.

Pass on these...shame on you BK!

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 5 months later...

Oooo...BK may be in trouble. 

They have been accused of scamming customers who use BOGO (Buy One, Get One free) coupons.

"Buyer Beware: This Burger King BOGO Coupon Is Too Good to Be True"

Burger King has recently come under fire for reportedly inflating Croissan'wich prices whenever a coupon is used. Now, a Maryland woman has filed a class action lawsuit against the restaurant chain to make it pay for what she says is a scam.

The fact that this seems to be a multi-state (company-wide?) scam doesn't bode well for BK. They won't be able to blame a franchise owner for the alleged price gouging.

If true, shame on you, BK. ¬¬

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I have a ton of coupons from BK and I have to walk past one on my supply run. The current flier claims to have $110 dollars in savings and they expire 6/26/17. There are three in that batch for buy a Croissan'wich and get one free. There are also three for 2 Croissan'wiches, 1 small hash brown and 1 small coffee for $4. They can't screw you on ones like that with a set price.

I never get up there at breakfast hours, so PM me your address, @rotutsif you want them, and I'll drop them in the mail box to you. There is a disclaimer on the front of the flier that says "participating restaurants only". I've never had a problem with these coupons at my store, but YMMV, especially since you live outside the areas where these promotions are mailed. Can't hurt to try, though.

The last time I used one for two Whopper Jr.s with two small fries for $3.99 the food was so bad I haven't been back even with a coupon. Cold fries and the burger was so old I was thankful I didn't get sick from eating it. It varies at my location depending on whose shift you hit. A lovely young lady heard me remark to my husband one night that I hoped the fries were fresh and hot, and damned if she didn't bin the tired ones under the heat lamp and cook us up a fresh batch and deliver them screaming hot from the fryer, just like I like them. I made sure she knew how good they were and how pleased I was as we left with our to go order. She made my day and I even tipped her, and that is the only time I have ever done that at a fast food place.

I used to always eat the fries in the car on the way back, because to me only hot fried food is good and it cools off so quickly. Now when I walk to the seafood market for fresh seafood to cook and pick up an order of fried okra, I am the weirdo walking down the sidewalk munching on fried okra as an appetizer as I go back home to cook up my seafood. xD

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

32 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I used to always eat the fries in the car on the way back, because to me only hot fried food is good and it cools off so quickly. Now when I walk to the seafood market for fresh seafood to cook and pick up an order of fried okra, I am the weirdo walking down the sidewalk munching on fried okra as an appetizer as I go back home to cook up my seafood. xD

I read this as "I only eat the tires in the car on the way back".  I thought you must have better teeth than mine.  There is a Burger King near here but I have not dined in the last ten years.  That being said there is far worse than Burger King,

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

27 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read this as "I only eat the tires in the car on the way back".  I thought you must have better teeth than mine.  There is a Burger King near here but I have not dined in the last ten years.  That being said there is far worse than Burger King,

You made me laugh! Thanks.

Yep, steel-belted radials would probably bring down the stoutest wood chipper.

It depends on the staff at the Burger King, A LOT. It can be good or it can be dangerous to your health and good sanity. A bad meal can bring me down in a hurry. Ours varies from excellent to inedible. But as far as worse places, my last visit to Subway was horrific. That was only for that location and that particular visit, although I'll never risk another one there. It was especially disappointing because I had been jonesing for months about a great Subway sandwich I got at the food court inside Duke Hospital in Durham. They even had alfalfa sprouts and all the ingredients were fresh and perfect. It just goes to show that everything depends on the staff at your local store, and some of them do not have any motivation to provide a good product. I realize the pay is low, but you know what? You are here so you might as well do the best you can with what you got. That is the way I always looked at it anyway, when I was working as a usually underpaid whatever. Some do and some don't. It's a complete crapshoot, and I am not a gambler.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I believe it may have been eG co-founder Fat Guy who suggested ordering "off the broiler" when placing your order at BK. This means you're requesting that the burger patty will be freshly broiled for your sandwich, which gets around the "patties lingering in a drawer in the kitchen" issue.

BK recently overhauled it's breaded chicken sandwich and the reviews I've seen have been good.

But now with this BOGO scam, I am wary of giving them any of my money in the overall scheme of things.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

11 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I believe it may have been eG co-founder Fat Guy who suggested ordering "off the broiler" when placing your order at BK. This means you're requesting that the burger patty will be freshly broiled for your sandwich, which gets around the "patties lingering in a drawer in the kitchen" issue.

I go to one of two local BKs about six or so times per year and order the same thing - the cheapest little double cheeseburgers.  Rarely do I use the drive thru, so I am able to see how my "burgers" are made.  Never have I received a sandwich from a drawer or warming tray.  All have been broiled for my specific order.  Likewise, to my observation, the other customers that I've seen have also received their burgers fresh from the broiler.

Since it's possible to order a burger to your specs, i.e., with your preference of condiments and toppings, I don't quite see how the sandwiches can be kept in a drawer.  Even if they were, they'd probably have to be removed, unwrapped, specified toppings added, and then rewrapped.  That doesn't seem very efficient.  Can you explain how the burgers can be kept in a drawer and still served with specified toppings?  Am I missing something?  Thanks!

... Shel

Also at McD's you can tell the whole burger is kept in the warming cabinet already wrapped. The cheese was slightly melted at one point, but has now congealed and seals the lukewarm double patties together and to one of the buns so it is very difficult to open the double cheeseburger to rearrange the slapdash placement of the ingredients and add pepper. I SAW them pull a breakfast biscuit out of a warming cabinet at about 5 AM when I was the only customer in the store. During a reno when the restaurant was closed, they moved the warming cabinets out of customer sight. They may add lettuce and tomato at the time of ordering if the sandwich comes with those?

As for the Whopper Jr.s' that turned me off to BK, they had definitely been held too long. Believe me @Shel_B, I do know the difference between an old, sad beef patty and a freshly cooked one. It sounds like your BK has a good manager. Mine doesn't, but you can hit paydirt sometimes with the right staff working.

I used to see smoke rising from BK at the Cary Village shopping center when I'd go there for anything, but no more. The smell was always appetizing. Things have changed over the years. Maybe air scrubbers, or most likely changes in procedure. This BK has been there 30 years and should have been grandfathered. A City Barbeque that went in on Kildaire Farm Road a few years ago has huge and very prominent air scrubbers and you can't smell any of the delicious aroma from the surrounding area. A Pollo Loco that was located in the space Los Tres Magueyes now occupies used to cook grilled chicken on huge gas grills, and that perfume wafted all over Kildaire Farm Road. I'm pretty sure air scrubbers are legislated now, but I haven't seen the regs myself. 

I may give that "off the broiler" request a try. That would be so good, if they make it happen. I dislike hassling people, but hopefully it won't hurt to ask. I know the time I got fresh fries from remarking to my husband how good they'd be certainly paid off there. It will depend on who is working that shift. I might just give them another go, since I walk by them about once a week on supply runs. Yes, I think while I have all these killer coupons, I'll ask for a fresh burger next time. Fingers crossed I get the right staff. :)

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

i think the quality of the food as some of the fast food chains varies from unit to unit 

perhaps w a wide margin.

in my area there are actual local reviews of Mc and maybe BK  by people that comment on all sorts of things

some count the fries in the packets , etc

the McD nearest me for some reason gets the highest ratings.

I think its how the manager choses to work the joint.

some might cut corners more than others.

still , Ive seen them assemble the items , and the cheese never gets heated up let alone melted.

all the Industrial angst about traffic , share price , menu that the Corps is worried about

could be reduced in 1/2 if the food was hotter to the point where the cheese were actually melted.

its still FastFood , w dubious health effects , but it would be better.

in my area at BK you can get

BK.thumb.jpg.183e4625dafa4a96b69d84b0f8425def.jpg

I don't think Id survive two of the CB's  and this model doesn't seem to have a real tomato slice on it

even though those tomatoes are Industrial  and cold on the burgers that have them , yoou can ask for double and

that improves the result.

Edited by rotuts (log)

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

BK.thumb.jpg.183e4625dafa4a96b69d84b0f8425def.jpg

How funny...what they're calling an "Extra Long Cheeseburger" has been served up at every mom & pop place around here for decades. Only it's called a "French Burger" here because it's served on a French bread roll. Basically, it's a double cheeseburger where the patties are side by side instead of stacked.

Tim Oliver

On 04/09/2016 at 3:16 PM, kayb said:

My eldest, however, will not eat them because, she contends, they use Liquid Smoke, which is another one of her migraine triggers.

I don't eat there because I don't like the taste of their burgers, I never really connected it before but I think she is right about the liquid smoke.  I don't mind good liquid smoke but any of that artificial tasting stuff  like they seem to put on cheap bacon  just turns me off completely. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

If I had to choose between only McD's and BK...I'd probably go with BK just because they have onion rings and McD's does not.  Fortunately for my waistline, BK is too far away to make a munchie-trip.  McD's is much closer, but I just can't stomach it.    So, the only other options I'll even entertain are Culver's or Hardee's..  Culver's is home to the Butterburger, frozen custard, and glorious onion rings!  Hardee's has my lo-carb thick burger, wrapped in layers of lettuce.  A little pricey, but still better than MCD's and BK. 

On the upside to McD's...I was at McD's over the winter sometime with my youngest daughter...she had scored 100 on a math test and spelling test- so that's where she chose to go for her attagirl ice cream. They were selling these wicked pumpkin -cream pie things, and the gal at the counter came over and offered us each one- no charge. Well, who were we to refuse that????  Good Lord, that was rich. Pretty darn good with the fresh coffee. 

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: