• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger King

Jinmyo

these taco's were both crispy on one side , and soft and oily ( in a good sense ) on the other.

a bit of both worlds.

and I can't say for sure , but the second set of 3 were better the the first trial item

I asked for more ' not hot ' sauce.   I got that and I think more filling !

suprise.gif.04bd7c4e1ba4f699e5dfad7500f50c57.gif

money-mouth.gif.b3199c44870f46d695e0db559d05a61a.gif

this is not a TacoTruck or Street Taco.

its a Corn-ey Greasy GutBombe  .   no more no less.

and as such "  Bombe's Away !

no TacoBell near me to compare.

its an Im Starving and have just one buck  taco 

It hit that spot BTW  even though I wasn't starving and had more that 3 bucks in my wallet.

I am glad BK is about 20 minutes away , but its on the way to MarketBasket.

fortunatelly for me , I go to MB before BK switches to ' Lunch "

Usually

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I am mentally comparing these with the "street tacos" at Carl's Jr. several years ago.     Two soft tortillas, several tablespoons of shredded (grilled?) chicken white meat, lettuce and tomato, cheese, access to a salsa bar = $2.79 as I recall.    I would separate into two tortillas, split the toppings and head for the salsa bar for sauce and jalapenas, more cilantro and onoin -> two "decent" tacos at roughly $1.40 each.     Acceptable flavors and textures and one order was filling.   Absolutely NOT one of my truck tacos, but worked when DH wanted Carl's jr .   

FWIW, my personal hang-up: Crispy shelled tacos = handheld tostados.     "Tacos" are made with soft tortillas.     Guess I'm just a street dog.

Carl's has discontinued this item.   Probably decided it was not cost effective, canibalizing more profitable items on the menu.

Call me a philistine, but I do love a crispy shell on a taco. Comes of growing up thinking Taco Bell was Mexican, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 8/16/2019 at 7:53 PM, Toliver said:

BK is attempting to broaden their breakfast offerings with three "waffle sandwiches" that come with either ham, bacon or sausage.

Here's what they look like:

"Three New Maple Waffle Breakfast Sandwiches Are Officially on Burger King's Breakfast Menu"

There's a 2nd photo of the sandwiches in the article which also illustrates why I don't eat breakfast at BK. Look at the egg in the sandwiches. It's like they get sheets of eggs that they cut up to fit the sandwiches. Those sheets of eggs don't communicate "just made fresh" to me. Maybe they get powdered eggs. I don't know. They just don't look appetizing,IMHO.

Those eggs give me the gagging shivers.  Ewww.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

"Burger King Is Bringing Back Cheesy Tots Again — But Only for a Limited Time"

Burger King announced this week that their beloved Cheesy Tots are back yet again — but, like always, only for a limited amount of time.

Much like their name implies, Cheesy Tots are snackable potato bites filled with melted cheese, which come coated in crunch bread crumbs — and they’re served hot.

The tater tot snacks are currently available across the United States at participating restaurants and are being sold in sets of 4 for $1, a Burger King spokesperson told The Takeout.

Has anyone had them? Charging 4 for $1 seems a little steep for such a meager portion.O.o

• Confused 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 5 weeks later...

"Burger King is running out of zesty sauce because of the global horseradish shortage"

Bad news for spicy fast food fans: A popular Burger King sauce is in short supply because of the ripple effect of a global horseradish shortage.

Burger King confirmed Wednesday that its horseradish-based Zesty Onion sauce might not be available to some customers.
"We are working quickly with our suppliers to maintain continuity and keep offering our guests the zesty experience they love," a Burger King spokesperson said in a statement.

Arby's Horsey Sauce may be impacted, as well.

Of course, I am more concerned about the future of my Bloody Mary's and Shrimp Cocktails.:B

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• 6 months later...

"Burger King In Germany Introduce Social Distancing Crowns To Keep Customers At A Safe Distance"

Most restaurants have had to change the way they serve food to the public to adhere to COVID-19 social distancing rules, and now Burger King have come up with their own quirky way to put this in place with their new 3-foot-long social distancing crowns.

Hilarious! Wonder if we'll get them here in the US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tim Oliver

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, rotuts said:

In & Out Burger has had a 4x4 for a long time, though the Burger King burger would be a 4x2 since it only has 2 slices of cheese.

Everything old is new again. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

@Toliver

I would die of enjoyment 

culinary 

right now 

If I had an I&O burger now.

sorry , 2 burgers

Ive forgotten what I thought about their fries.

so Id need two portions

and some extra ' special sauce on the side

for the crispy fries

and a double dose o each burger

not avails in Heaven Id think

for many reasons

so better gobble them up

now

just saying

• Like 1

I think that all Burger King has left is gimmicks.  They've given up trying to get their franchises to maintain clean, well-stocked and maintained restaurants.  Even before the pandemic, things were bad.  Every so often, I crave a Whopper specifically.  I've walked into stores with employees asleep in booths (lying down in the seat), sitting up on the counters, music blasting.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@gfweb 

in the Era  'Before'

visiting my father in CA

the burgers were quite fine

hane no memories of the firs

but I did get them a few tie.

aPEOPO :

ShakeShake 

has a mighty fine burger

SmokeShake

20120426-shake-shack-smoke-shack-post.jpg.15c5957c81b1dabc855c547a30e2074f.jpg

of course nit does not quite loo like this

note the scale : Goops there i hone.

no matter

after  getting Vaxx'd  x 2

I might go there

for review purposes only

after I review

the duck

@ ThaiNoodle

@ T

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I think that all Burger King has left is gimmicks.  They've given up trying to get their franchises to maintain clean, well-stocked and maintained restaurants.  Even before the pandemic, things were bad.  Every so often, I crave a Whopper specifically.  I've walked into stores with employees asleep in booths (lying down in the seat), sitting up on the counters, music blasting.  

its so dependent on the franchiseee

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Right. Don't think I posted this before. There was a nice office highrise we worked in and the guys told that the BK in the building started serving beer. It had become a hangout for the bike messengers while they waited for calls. They can be a colorful bunch and beer + cheap food - they were in. Kind of like parents being ok with Chuck E Cheese birthday parties cuz they could self medicate with beer & wine.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Totally.  Ours is fine.  I do a whopper maybe twice a year out of circumstance.  The meat qlty decline is apparent (for me).  After consumption I feel like shit sooner and for longer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

@rotuts I have no respect for the I&O fries.  Burger is Ok.

I was disappointed with the I&O burger & fries (anemic, flaccid, IMO). Supposedly, you can order your fries "well-done" and get your burger "animal style" with mustard (?) fried into the patty, etc. I'd be willing to try the fries again (well-done), but the burger should taste good without mustard fried into it. YMMV. We all like what we like.

Burger King: haven't been there for a long time, but I did enjoy the original, oblong chicken sandwich (deep-fried patty, minimal garnish). Unpopular opinion, but I actually liked their French fries more than I liked McD's.

2 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

I was disappointed with the I&O burger & fries (anemic, flaccid, IMO). Supposedly, you can order your fries "well-done" and get your burger "animal style" with mustard (?) fried into the patty, etc. I'd be willing to try the fries again (well-done), but the burger should taste good without mustard fried into it. YMMV. We all like what we like.

Burger King: haven't been there for a long time, but I did enjoy the original, oblong chicken sandwich (deep-fried patty, minimal garnish). Unpopular opinion, but I actually liked their French fries more than I liked McD's.

I&O's  limited availability adds to the cachet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I&O's  limited availability adds to the cachet.

Put another way, I&O HAS CACHET.    We only tried them once when they first came to our area, but except for the buff kids serving, it's just another FF burger.   And someone is going to have to walk that extra. mile to better McD's fries.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

@rotuts I have no respect for the I&O fries.  Burger is Ok.

2 hours ago, MokaPot said:

I was disappointed with the I&O burger & fries (anemic, flaccid, IMO).

Y'all are preaching to the choir. In & Out fries are just terrible. Even if they offered them to me for free, I'd still debate taking them.

The last time I bought a meal from Burger King I was taken aback when I tried their French fries. They were tasteless, dry potato sticks. It didn't help that I bought their knockoff of the Carl's Jr Western Bacon Cheeseburger that was just as disgusting as the fries. BK topped their knockoff burger with their faux onion rings which are reconstituted chopped onion-in-a-shape-of-a-ring. I should have bought some Jack in the Box onions rings (which totally rock now) and put them on top of the burger.

I haven't been back to BK since.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

We have pretty much settled on Carl'sJr for burgers and specialty (filet of fish or chicken) sandwiches.    Fries are acceptable.   We usually order one simple sandwich and one "meal", then share the fries.    All of this, a year old since we haven't gone for fast or slow food away form home for a year due to covid.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

28 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Y'all are preaching to the choir. In & Out fries are just terrible. Even if they offered them to me for free, I'd still debate taking them.

The last time I bought a meal from Burger King I was taken aback when I tried their French fries. They were tasteless, dry potato sticks. It didn't help that I bought their knockoff of the Carl's Jr Western Bacon Cheeseburger that was just as disgusting as the fries. BK topped their knockoff burger with their faux onion rings which are reconstituted chopped onion-in-a-shape-of-a-ring. I should have bought some Jack in the Box onions rings (which totally rock now) and put them on top of the burger.

I haven't been back to BK since.

Ouch! I like the onion rings 😀.

• Haha 1