• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger King

Jinmyo

of note :

its in Sweden !

what do they know of Beef ?

Fish , fresh and smoked and pickled :   for sure .

Smorgasboard ? absolutely !

Rendeer  ? you bet

that vile herb drink served Ice Cold , preferably from bottle encased in Ice : Akvavit 

but beef , and The Burger ?

guess BK is counting on their ignorance

no other way to see this.

Try this in Kansas or Texas 

not likely

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I took one for the team.  I tried a BK taco today.  Now, I am not a big fan of BK anyway.  Once every couple of years I crave a Whopper (my SIL calls Whoppers "the burger that keeps on giving" since you end up tasting it for the rest of the day) and its fake smoke flavor.  I'm sure I would like their fries if I EVER had one that was hot.  And Mr. Kim and I have a shameful love for their original chicken sandwich and indulge every couple of months.  I am not ashamed of liking fast food, but BK just doesn't appeal to me.  Be that as it may this thing was horrible:

IMG_0020.JPG.cb9d03a54df3b2ea06b744b224be8282.JPG

See that oil slick?  It was just a grease bomb.  And the edge that wasn't greasy was NOT crispy - it was just hard.  Another nauseating view:

IMG_0021.JPG.630273ee98a2f48a4231dd185c4972a5.JPG

It was greasy, it tasted bad.  It was seriously too bad to be drunk food.  Keep in mind that I love Taco Bell tacos.  These were nothing like Taco Bell.  Horrible.  You're welcome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 3

On 7/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, demiglace said:

Yes we do and it's going to take a lot for someone to top that!

I got a spare kidney! 

• Haha 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

33 minutes ago, caroled said:

I got a spare kidney! 

Caroled kidney pie.

But I thought BK's smoke flavor was from actually being smoked?  It's been about fifteen years since I was last in a Burger King so please forgive me.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 7/23/2019 at 5:03 PM, Kim Shook said:

Well, I took one for the team.  I tried a BK taco today.  Now, I am not a big fan of BK anyway.  Once every couple of years I crave a Whopper (my SIL calls Whoppers "the burger that keeps on giving" since you end up tasting it for the rest of the day) and its fake smoke flavor.  I'm sure I would like their fries if I EVER had one that was hot.  And Mr. Kim and I have a shameful love for their original chicken sandwich and indulge every couple of months.  I am not ashamed of liking fast food, but BK just doesn't appeal to me.  Be that as it may this thing was horrible:

IMG_0020.JPG.cb9d03a54df3b2ea06b744b224be8282.JPG

See that oil slick?  It was just a grease bomb.  And the edge that wasn't greasy was NOT crispy - it was just hard.  Another nauseating view:

IMG_0021.JPG.630273ee98a2f48a4231dd185c4972a5.JPG

It was greasy, it tasted bad.  It was seriously too bad to be drunk food.  Keep in mind that I love Taco Bell tacos.  These were nothing like Taco Bell.  Horrible.  You're welcome. 

Makes the HS cafeteria look good

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Made HS cafeteria taste good!

Honestly, I simply suspect you were not drunk* enough ...

—————

*insert favourite verb for being intoxicated by your preferred escapist drug here.

• Haha 5

of note :

https://thetakeout.com/review-burger-king-taco-1836957917

and BK supposedly Aug 8th or so , nation wide , will have ImpFoods  ' burgers "

w their App  ( and Apps are eveil BTW )  you can get one Beef Wopper , and one fake Wopper

and perhaps they are not labeled as such ,and get to decided

so much for Sweden being the Index  I guess

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

Of course, this is true in every kitchen, right?  If I were a dedicated vegetarian or had food allergies, I would check for this everywhere. I remember @liamsaunt mentioning that her nephew can't order french fries in places that fry their fish (or maybe just shellfish) in the same fryers as the potatoes.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Of course, this is true in every kitchen, right?  If I were a dedicated vegetarian or had food allergies, I would check for this everywhere. I remember @liamsaunt mentioning that her nephew can't order french fries in places that fry their fish (or maybe just shellfish) in the same fryers as the potatoes.

It's just shellfish, but you are right.  The broiler can be an issue for him too...they have to scrape it before cooking his food and not all places are able to accommodate him.  I think though, that if you are a vegetarian you would know to expect that there would not be a dedicated broiler in a fast food burger joint. I definitely have sympathy as an ex long-time vegetarian.  You have to choose wisely, but temper your expectations too.

• Like 2

I decided to take two Hits for the Team.

with no coupon !   not to worry .  a awarded myself extra Kudos.

1156732098_BK1.thumb.jpg.1dcb74974575f8a13fc7466506305fb6.jpg

1 )  the $ 1 Taco :

BK2.thumb.jpg.920b6e126fecc0e38392911035a53fda.jpg

mine was crispy , not greasy .   contents were minimal , but tasted OK.  nice crunch on the shell , that had some

oil-flavor.    very little cumin flavor , just a hint .  the sauce was not hot , which would have been nice.

conclusion :  at my BK , OK for a Buck.

2 )  IF Whopper

if you had an App , you could get a IFW  and a BeefW for $ 7.  I feel apps are like an insidious disease , 

like the Great Masquerader Itself.  the Tertiary Version is a bummer , the books suggest.  Al Capone found out HimSelf

they did their best to hunt around on the cash register for the $ 7 , but no-go .  two whoppers at one sitting would have been

problematic ,and after that Delicious Taco , ............

BK3.thumb.jpg.eb3223129c208acf8ea2775688384c9e.jpg

BK4.thumb.jpg.295700e4570bd28eaeb6b2bb2d3ee34c.jpg

I always order extra tomatoes , and pickles.

some nice char-flavor , but not as much as the beef W.   condiments make the items at BK for me

this was a decent ' burger '   the beef W would have been beefier, duh !

near the end of the burger [sic]  there developed  some vegetable flavors  : dried green peas 

as in split ( green ) pea soup , but w no ham flavor whatsoever.

all FastFood has a pronounced  lingering aftertaste foe me.   this after-taste was not unpleasant 

unless you can't stand split green pea soup , with no ham nor any other flavors in the soup.

over all , not bad at all .   this burger costs $ 1.00 more that the beef version.

Id say , after the curiosity  for something like this gets sated , its going to be a minor item on the menu

at the same price , possible a different result.

the CattleMen's Assoc.  and AgraCon  have nothing to worry about here at BK.

in a few minutes I going to have an icy cold Hoponius Union , in a frozen glass

as a personal reward :

JAB-hoponiusunion-web.thumb.png.4adeea39e234b335392fef2f3bb192c8.png

and I am looking forward to it !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@Kim Shook

when I Sturdy   FastFood

Im able to go just after they change from Breakfast [sic]  to lunch

maybe give them 30 minuts to get all the gears In Motion

so what I have had , is FF that is hot , and just made.

there is not Taco Bell near me

money-mouth.gif.9948aa011f6c2b4c513dcedf193085dd.gif

there was one near th N.H. border , 

wehen I went up there to get some very fine wood for WoodWorking

TB is not TexMex

but it served it purpose :  

they had hot sauce in packets

and I did enjoy their Tacos and Ect.

then , well there was  PInkMeat.

no mater

Im still here

but that Taco , for 1 USD

will get people in the Franchise.

for FastFood

its Traffic.

I will not lie :

passing by BK at 10:45 AM today 

A Force pulled me in.

1663904217_BKTs.thumb.jpg.0f2a8c28a4abf48059bb5461c93f9996.jpg

yes , those are three tacos, but with extra ' hot sauce '

two would have been better .  My Eyes were bigger than my stomach.

Trashy - Tasty ,  freshly [sic] made.  

however , now Im not going to think of a FF Taco for many many years.

a FF Palate-Cleanser is almost ice-cold and ready for service.

don't try these , unless BK is not busy , and get the extra sauce.  its not hot.

one would be a good intro

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

BK is attempting to broaden their breakfast offerings with three "waffle sandwiches" that come with either ham, bacon or sausage.

Here's what they look like:

"Three New Maple Waffle Breakfast Sandwiches Are Officially on Burger King's Breakfast Menu"

There's a 2nd photo of the sandwiches in the article which also illustrates why I don't eat breakfast at BK. Look at the egg in the sandwiches. It's like they get sheets of eggs that they cut up to fit the sandwiches. Those sheets of eggs don't communicate "just made fresh" to me. Maybe they get powdered eggs. I don't know. They just don't look appetizing,IMHO.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 8/14/2019 at 8:49 AM, rotuts said:

I will not lie :

passing by BK at 10:45 AM today 

A Force pulled me in.

1663904217_BKTs.thumb.jpg.0f2a8c28a4abf48059bb5461c93f9996.jpg

yes , those are three tacos, but with extra ' hot sauce '

two would have been better .  My Eyes were bigger than my stomach.

Trashy - Tasty ,  freshly [sic] made.  

however , now Im not going to think of a FF Taco for many many years.

a FF Palate-Cleanser is almost ice-cold and ready for service.

don't try these , unless BK is not busy , and get the extra sauce.  its not hot.

one would be a good intro

I am mentally comparing these with the "street tacos" at Carl's Jr. several years ago.     Two soft tortillas, several tablespoons of shredded (grilled?) chicken white meat, lettuce and tomato, cheese, access to a salsa bar = $2.79 as I recall.    I would separate into two tortillas, split the toppings and head for the salsa bar for sauce and jalapenas, more cilantro and onoin -> two "decent" tacos at roughly $1.40 each.     Acceptable flavors and textures and one order was filling.   Absolutely NOT one of my truck tacos, but worked when DH wanted Carl's jr .   

FWIW, my personal hang-up: Crispy shelled tacos = handheld tostados.     "Tacos" are made with soft tortillas.     Guess I'm just a street dog.

Carl's has discontinued this item.   Probably decided it was not cost effective, canibalizing more profitable items on the menu.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.