• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger King

Jinmyo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Decided as the year is New and Young I'd take a hit (2) for the team:

decided to study the new Rodeo Line-Up. $ 1.00 ( + tax your area )

saw this mentioned during a recent (USA) football game.

Rodeo Chicken : Crispy Chicken Puck, fried, w fried onion rings, BBQ Sauce

the Item was Hot and Fresh. Crispy. Onion rings were also crispy but had no onion taste. the BBQ sauce was very sweet, a bit of tang, a bit of heat. that's all you taste: 'Bulls-Eye like' sauce, a bit of crunch. Second Bite: just sauce. Third bite: Ugghh.

Rodeo Burger: Beef Puck, O.R's, sauce. oh yes: cheese. Cheese didn't work here at all. As Bad as it gets.

Each Rodeo Selection might have been helped out w some pickle slices. to cut through all that 'deliciousness'

Starving? have 2 bucks (USD) + Applicable Tax? get One (1) Rodeo Chicken and invest the other buck in a no-load, expense ratio = or < 0.05 mutual fund. in the long and short term you will do a lot better, and come out ahead.

Heard the culinary term "Gut Bomb" but a bit unsure of what it means? a practical test at BK w 2 bucks ( + Tax) will fill you in nicely on its definition.

Had hoped to (eventually) study the Big King ( 2 / 5 bucks ) the BigMac Clone .

hope the 2 / 5 lasts a few many many months. it will take a (long) while to get the Palate back to "Zero"

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Freezing the Burgers: The local BK is now delivering, and there's a $10.00 minimum order. It would take me a l-o-n-g time to eat $10.00 worth of BK food, and I was wondering if, and for how long, a BK burger can be frozen. I'm not as much concerned about the meat patty as I am about the condiments, pickles, and tomatoes. Maybe it would be best not to include condiments on the burgers I plan to freeze. Any thoughts on this?

... Shel

Heard the culinary term "Gut Bomb" but a bit unsure of what it means? a practical test at BK w 2 bucks ( + Tax) will fill you in nicely on its definition.

When I was a kid and into my teens, we'd go to the White Castle. We called the "burgers" there "Belly Bombs" for their tendency to "explode" in the stomach, and also because they were so small. FWIW, my earliest White Castle memories include the price of the burger ... 8-cents!

• Like 1

... Shel

I decided to take a hit ( 2 ) again for the team: the Big King 2 for 5 bucks

my T.Buds have mostly recovered from my previous studies and I thought Id apply a Stress Test before i begin my studies of the

Cuisinart 'Steam-Boy' ( 197 ) which arrived the other day.

first off: the Bun on the BK is quite a bit different than the one on the B.Mac it seems more substantial and firmer.

I ordered my Specimens w extra pickle and sauce. I thought the Double Veg can't hurt. can't say if BK thinks there sauce is 'Special' or not.

you do get a bit of char taste as these pucks patties went thought their no doubt patented Char Field.

the sauce is not as tart as the McD's 'Special' but its a bit hard to recall the many nuances of the McD sauce. BK is sweeter,

and indeed they point that out.

nutritional notes are interesting: McD : 550 cals, 25 gm protein, 29 gm fat, 46 gms carb, 970 mg sodium

in contrast if one chooses to believe the Corporate Data:

BK: 510 cals, 18 gms protein, 11 gms fat, 38 gms carbs, 780 mg sodium.

this make sense: the BK was a bit 'dryer' than what i recall the McD B.M. to be

its all that extra fat in the McD's. McD's knows what brings you back, and back and ... R.I.P

also note the 190 mg of 'free' add on salt w McD's. they mentioned Sugars, but I forgot to make an analysis of that. Betting McD has more sugar:

that's the three major FastFood Food Groups right there: Fat, Salt, Sugar. Ronald knows his business,

thats for sure ! that's the Black Hole Troika that sucks you past the Event Horizon every time !

over all: the McD BM is almost ingrained in our DNA. one only has to travel within a mile of a McD for 40 years + and never eat one as the imprint is no doubt 'On the WInd'

over all : if you are at BK, and have the Funds, Id go with the Whooper w extra tomato ( slice , lacking in the two study groups above) pickle and mayo.

Im on IR now, awaiting some physical therapy to get me back into Game Shape so I can study the Cuisinart 'Steam-Boy' ( 197 ) in the near future.

hoping both McD and BK don't come out with Specimens that require further serious study any time soon.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Its been a while so I thought Id take a (few) hit(s) for the Team.

choices:   " 2 for 5 Bucks " or " 10 for 1.49 "

I went for the 10 :  chicken pucks, 10 for 1.49

they have various 'sauces' in those little plastic bins.

I was lucky, they were out of 'BBQ'  Ive had this before on some sort of On Special Bun thing-y.  the third bite will kill you.

soooo :  Ranch , Buffalo , and Honey-Mustard.

1 ) ask or try to get those Pucks right out the the fryer.   they have a short life under the Glow Lamps.

mine were 'recent'

they tasted like chicken, and plain had little extra flavor.

Honey-Mustard :  the stuff in the plastic bin jiggled a lot when i opened it.  bad sign.  D +

Buffalo :  no jiggle.  nice heat.   think smooth thousand island ( from the discount isle ) w added heat.  B

Ranch :  no jiggle.  no real 'zesty-ness'  C

over all, if you can get these pipping hot right out of the fryer, and bring you own 'dips'  B +

• Like 1

Thanks for taking 1 (or 10) for the team.  :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

""   the new BBQ burger w onion rings  ""

this is on the " 2 for 5 "  menu

I thought of that and a Big King with all the extras they might add.

then I thought better.   that BBQ Sauce needs to be tried first in small amounts , x 3, at one sitting

then decide.  if you can still think clearly.

I might go back for a few more hits next week.

have to do some training first.

• Like 1

I thought Id get it over with and take two (2) very big hits for the team.  " 2 for 5 "

my mother would have said to me :  " you need to get your head examined. "  she would have been right.

but the Sirens have been singing their song, more like Buzz Buzz Buzz, so there it is.

Big King and OnionRing BBQ Burger.  Right there I knew I was in trouble, as Ive mentioned my views on the BK BBQ " Sauce " in the past.

as Chef Michael Van de Elzen has stated on " Food Truck " NZ  while studying Burgers down under :  its about the sauce not the meat.

Indeed.   the Big King was a bit dry, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Its said to be a BigMac clone.  however,  the engineers at

BK need to go back to school and study the BigMac, a true marvel of Industrial Engineering masquerading as a Burger. the Mac

when piping hot w the cheese melted, ( a rare thing, tell them 30 more seconds in the Micro ) hits all those hidden notes we like to think

we dont have.   the BK was no where near as cloying.  maybe thats good:  for $ 2.50 I give it a C +  again, 30 seconds in the Micro would

have improved it as the cheese was not melted.;

Now on the the OnionRing Thing-y :  I guess the hot onion rings made it hot enough to just start to melt the cheese.

could not taste any meat.  i checked  : it was in there.  now the BBQ 'sauce'  at the second bite this pollutant must uncouple some sort of

basic metabolic process. It must have taken years of work to make something so fundamentally bad if taken in more than Pico-gram

quantities.  the OnionRing Thing-y gets an F -   Is there a lower grade ?  Id give it that.

but please, someone try that BBQ Sauce  " in portion size " and see for your self.

there is a bright side to this experiment.   The Sirens have moved on.  maybe they are headed your way ?

I cant imagine a trip to BK  for a long long while.

• Like 1

There must be regional variation in BK quality.

Our local BBQ onion ring thing is v g indeed.

Not too much sauce, meat is discernible, rings crunchy.

Better than anything made under Golden Arches, for sure.

• 1 month later...

Bloomberg is reporting that the Yumbo ( ham and cheese on a bun) will be back since being retired in 1974...does anyone remember this?

Course growing up the nearest McDonalds was 30 miles away and the nearest Burger King was built in Southampton in the mid 1970s.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I remember the Yumbo, which is weird because if it was retired in 1974, I would have been too young for it then! If I remember it, it must have been available, at least regionally, in the late 1970s.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 7 months later...

Bloomberg is reporting that the Yumbo ( ham and cheese on a bun) will be back since being retired in 1974...does anyone remember this?

Course growing up the nearest McDonalds was 30 miles away and the nearest Burger King was built in Southampton in the mid 1970s.

I do remember! But in Spain we had the Yumbo available till 1990 to say the least.

I'd like to have it back for the sake of memories

I remember the Yumbo, but for all the wrong reasons. My first encounter with Burger King was in college. I had my first Wopper and quite enjoyed it. On the next visit, unsure of the name, I thought that was what I was ordering again, but instead ordered the Yumbo. Of course, being that age, I ate the whole thing, but that was my last one. Now, I can't tell you how many years since my last burger at either place. 

HC

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Behold, the Whopperito!

"Some of our regulars that love the Whopper tried the Whopperrito because it has the same fresh veggies, beef and the same flame-grilled flavor that everyone is familiar with," Macedo said. 
Since the Whopperrito is essentially a deconstructed Whopper made using a flour tortilla instead of buns and creamy queso sauce rather than mayonnaise, fans of the burger won't be sacrificing much of the original product.

Is anyone looking forward to trying the new (available for only a limited time) Whopperito?

And has anyone tried BK's Mac 'n' Cheetos?

edited for spelking

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Yep. Picture looks the same. I wonder if the BK beef will have a better flavor (because it's flame broiled) than a typical Taco Bell beef burrito? I'm assuming it will be flame broiled for Burger King.

Wendy's Chili has old Wendy burgers in it. Maybe they'll use old BK burgers crumbled for the Whopperito.

Tim Oliver