• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger King

Jinmyo

I don't pretend to be an expert in this area but I did work in the fast food industry way back in the mid 1970s. At that time, we were all given training, with an emphasis to the counter girls, on suggestive selling. The only items that were discussed were soft drinks and french fries. If someone ordered a drink or fries without a modifier, the counter girl (not sexist, they were all girls at that point) was suppose to say "will that be a large drink?", or "will that be a large fry?". Obviously, that was where the profit was being made. The same idea came into play when I worked at a small independent fish and chip shop. The boss told us to make sure that every customer got a large portion of fresh hot chips because in 1977, we were paying eight cents a pound for frozen steak fries. The cod we used for the fish was rigorously portioned because it was relatively much more expensive to the business. So, I can see why franchisees would not be fond of a large variety of new items that aren't profit makers.

although sl OT the book "Fat Land" by Greg Critser has a section on fast food and how McDonalds rose to power just by what's mentioned above. this book is difficult to put down.

...he said this new breakfast plan they have is just like the others. It won't work. he says people don't come to Burger King for breakfast. he saluted McDonalds for developing the breakfast business, but it just does not work for his stores. I had a guy who is a regional manager for Wendy's tell me the same thing about breakfast.

I find this interesting. They're throwing the baby out with the breakfast bathwater, so to speak.

The biggest problem with BK & Wendy's is that they don't have a breakfast menu item that stands out and will act as a draw to morning customers. BK did have a ciabatta breakfast sandwich that was half-way decent (IMHO) and a ham & biscuit sandwich with a sort of sweet butter (which made for a nice little sweet & salty sandwich) but they dropped both items.

The Egg McMuffin didn't start out at McD's corporate headquarters. A franchise owner invented it and it brought the customers in. McD's corporate bigwigs saw this and were smart enough to add the new breakfast sandwich to all of their restaurants.

A few California Taco Bells are even test marketing a Waffle Taco in hopes they'll have a breakfast item that will drive customers in.

BK and Wendy's just have to come up with their own menu standout item to bring the customers in.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried the new Burger King Rib sandwich, twice. I tried it the second time to see if what I had the first time was normal or a "one-off".

The first time I tried it, it was quite good. It took longer than normal to receive my order which I chalked up to it being made new, "off the broiler" in BK lingo. The sandwich had a very nice smokey flavor, the BBQ sauce had a nice tang to it and the thick slices of bread and butter pickles were a very nice change from the usual thin, limp dill pickle chip you normally get in a fast food burger. And though the "rib" burger patty itself tasted sort of generic, I thought it was a good sandwich overall.

When I tried it the second time, again, it took longer than normal to receive my order. Unfortunately, the second sandwich had no smokey flavoring at all. I noticed this time that the BBQ sauce had the slightest bit of spiciness to it which I enjoyed. The thick slices of bread and butter pickles were again, a positive element on the sandwich.

So it was a mixed experience for me.

Has anyone else tried the new BK Rib sandwich?

I'll be trying the Pulled Pork sandwich next.

Tim Oliver

McDonalds burger patties, in the current form, are an all-time low in the fast-food world. They are dry, grey, and taste nothing like beef. I think it's much better than BK..

The fast food joints have turned the hamburger from something tasty and enjoyable into, as you suggest, dry, grey and tasteless imitations of the real thing. I've never met a fast food burger that had any taste beyond that which was created in a laboratory in New Jersey and any succulence greater than damp cardboard. Salt, fat, and chemicals do not a burger make.

... Shel

I've noticed a variation in BK meat quality. In DE its not great ...in UT it is juicy and tasty. Suppliers make all the difference. McD is never good in my experience.

• 3 months later...

decided to take a Hit (2) for the Team:

"Burger w Fries" $ 1.00

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/09/09/220705347/sandwich-monday-the-burger-king-french-fry-burger

I was surprised. it had more beef than I thought, with that 'char' it tasted 'just made' it was fine ( well, O.K., I was hungry )

if you are on the road and starving, this is it.

FD i do not advise more than 2. we probably would not hear from you for a long time while you recover.

very pleased:

1) there is no BK near me. 2) this is not on the breakfast menu.

:blink:

I eat fast food fairly frequently. Burger King is way low on my list. Bottom of my list is Wendy's Top of list for burgers is Carl's Jr. Top of list for complete menu is Jack in the Box.

Could be worse

I kept thinking "Young Frankenstein" as I read your ratings.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 4 weeks later...

2 Woppers = $ 5.00

They have a similar promotion in my area. You can mix and match different burgers that they offer, 2 for $5.

Tim Oliver

Me, too. The "extra veggies" thing. Not because I want a free salad. But because I really really like extra veggies.

I'm definitely not a "two patty" kind of girl.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 3 weeks later...

took a hit (2) for the Team:

BK $ 1.00 'rib' sandwich:

Bun: Fresh, Bun-like

Pickles and Onions: very good.

sauce: somewhat like Bulls'Eye, but havent had that in a long while. a bit of heat. lingers.

Patty: well .... it has no Char, and its not Beef.

overall: Starving? got 2 bucks? that's it? applicable Tax, Your Area? then you won't starve. don't eat more than two.

if they still have the $1.00 burger and fry, get one of each.

took a hit (2) for the Team:

BK $ 1.00 'rib' sandwich:

Bun: Fresh, Bun-like

Pickles and Onions: very good.

sauce: somewhat like Bulls'Eye, but havent had that in a long while. a bit of heat. lingers.

Patty: well .... it has no Char, and its not Beef.

overall: Starving? got 2 bucks? that's it? applicable Tax, Your Area? then you won't starve. don't eat more than two.

if they still have the $1.00 burger and fry, get one of each.

Thanks for taking one for the team! BK has been advertising their new rib sandwich here, as well. I'm surprised there's no char on them. Did they have any kind of grilled/broiled flavor? That would be something in BK's favor since McD's can't duplicate that.

Tim Oliver

yes there were marks on it, and perhaps a bit of char, but nothing like the char on the burgers. no staying power.

but for 2 Bucks, perhaps some local tax, you could get these two or a bottle of ' Chuck ' probably no tax on the 'Chuck '

give 2 a shot and report back. pickles were nice and made this work, as did the sauce.

" burp "

Edited by rotuts (log)

I tried the BK Rib Sandwich at lunch today.

The sauce did have some tiny heat to it and I thought it had a nice tang, as well.

I also enjoyed the pickle and onions. In fact, I thought the pickles might have been bread & butter pickles because I kept tasting a little sweetness.

On my last bite I thought I could taste some char-broiled flavor but didn't know if it was really there or if I imagined it. I'm just sorry I didn't take your advice and buy a second sandwich for...er, further analysis, yeah, that's it. :cool:

The pork patty was okay meaning it was benignly present as opposed to assertively present. Innocuous, so to speak. Not a bad sandwich for a buck.

Tim Oliver