• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Wedding Feast

I have been invited to the wedding of a good gujurati friend and he has asked that all guests bring a dish of food or a dessert.  All must be Indian.  They can come from any region and all must be unusual, in his words "rarely found outside the region"

can anyone help with some suggestions?

S

Most Gujus that I know--including all of my family except me don't eat meat, especially at 'good' occasions like weddings...is this to be a vegetarian only suggestion?

Second, majmudar sounds like a bengali name, are you thinking of taking a bengali dish or do you have expereince cooking cuisines from different regions of India?

I can name many gujrati dishes, but I would think that your host would produce these...with some more guidance, i might be able to assist...

I have been instructed not to bring Gujurati food ( will be well catered for by his family ) nor indeed Bengali dishes ( unless they are very different from the Mishti/rabri etc etc dishes he has eaten at my house ) as he does not think they will appeal to the Gujurati tastes.

So i am looking for ideas from other regions.  Are there any rich Kasmiri dishes or some sweet/sour goan dishes?

HELP!!!

S

I just got back to Mumbai from Goa... you can cook a great vegetable vindaloo a vegetarian version of the classic pork one.  Or even a vegetable curry like the Goan prawn curry.  

Saraswat Brahmans in Goa eat fish and meat.  

Or you can cook dam aloos from Kashmir, or methi chaman ( fenugreek greens with Paneer) or even a vegetable kurma or simply a paneer kurma.

I will not have access to the computer again for some time.  Hope you are able to come up with a great dish or two.  Have fun at the wedding.

Keep well.  I shall be back in NYC after the 19th of this month.  Will be more active on the site thereafter.

I have been instructed not to bring Gujurati food ( will be well catered for by his family ) nor indeed Bengali dishes ( unless they are very different from the Mishti/rabri etc etc dishes he has eaten at my house ) as he does not think they will appeal to the Gujurati tastes.

So i am looking for ideas from other regions.  Are there any rich Kasmiri dishes or some sweet/sour goan dishes?

HELP!!!

S

So, Dada can you cook ghoogni ?, what about Macher-jhol ?, what about Khujri ?

Would these not catch the essence of "bangal" as opposed to "khoti " ??

Let us know what you whip-up :)

anil

• 3 months later...

This is all very interesting.

these are the times when study of ethnic cuisine is so important.

I hope your friends Simon have a life of love and peace (and excellent food)

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.