• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Forno

Rosie

A very small trattoria that is worth visiting opened a few months ago in Montclair. Il Forno, 18 S Fullerton Ave, Montclair (973-233-0800); BYO. Owners Chef Massimo and Anne Marie Ranni also specialize in Italian artisan bread which they sell. Theyare open for lunch 10 AM to 3 PM Tuesday through Saturday and dinner 6 to 9 :30 PM Wednesday through Saturday. We were there for dinner and had the following appetizers: red pepper stuffed with orzo; mozzarella in carrozza; and portobello ravioli in a basil sauce. For entrees we had tilapia with crabmeat, roasted potatoes and broccoli rabe; swordfish in parchment with the same sides; pappardelle with rabbit; gnocchi with a ragu sauce; and spaghetti with mussels. Don't miss the homemade gelato for dessert. The menu has about six appetizers; six pasta dishes and three fish or meat dishes to choose from. There are also daily specials.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Yes. The lunch menu looks great and friends who have been there say that the panini is fabulous.They have the long and narrow pizza's, panini, grilled panini, and soups. I'd like to get there for lunch also so be sure to give us a report if you get there before me. :biggrin:

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 4 months later...

We returned to Il Forno, 18 S Fullerton Ave, Montclair (973-233-0800); BYO and had a delightful dinner. We nibbled on their Italian artisan bread dipped in olive oil while listening to the waitress explain the menu that is written on a chalkboard. There are no prices listed, so ask. Started of with an eggplant parmigiana and spinach salad with onions, tomatoes and fresh buffalo mozzarella. My entrée was a homemade cannelloni with a ricotta and mushroom stuffing topped with a fabulous tomato sauce. Lowell had an outrageously rich penne Gorgonzola which I couldn’t stop stealing tastes from. Dessert was an unbeatable tira misu and cantaloupe gelato. They are now open on Sunday.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 8 months later...

the bellevue ave. location is going to be opening in the evenings soon (like, sometime in the next week or so) to serve pizza. they've redesigned the interior a few times in the past year or so and have settled on a plan that provides a much larger seating area than before.

the pizza should definitely be worth checking out. i'll report back... :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

ate at the trattoria on Wednesday. Started off with a passable caesar salad and an order of "stinco di riso"-- which is leftover risotto, with assorted bits of meat and cheese mixed in, rolled into balls, breaded and fried. Served on top of a very fresh pomodoro sauce. Next, split a Rigatoni with Funghi and sausage. Surprisingly light sauce, that was very tasty. For my main course, had the braised lamb shank served with polenta cake. My wife had some Tilapia dish.

Overall, a very good meal. There doesnt seem to be a lot of dishes on the menu, but that's ok as I'd rather a restaurant focus on what it does well, if that means it is only a few dishes. Food seemed to be not your typical northern NJ italian, but rather reminiscient of recent trips to Italy. Bread was very good, which I'm assuming came from their bakery on Bellevue. Service was attentive. Total bill for 2 came to $75 before tax, tip. Will certainly go back.

• 6 months later...

Il Forno, 18 S Fullerton Ave, Montclair has reopened in Montclair and owner/chef Massimo is manning the stoves. We started off with their delicious bread and olive oil. Appetizers were a mixed green salad with goat cheese and mango; and grilled asparagus that were sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Entrees were rigatoni with meat sauce and lamb shank with carrots, eggplant, potatoes, celery, onion and muishrooms. We shared gelato that was doused with hot espresso. Everything was delicious. The restaurant has been redecorated and now has linen tablecloths. They are closed on Sunday. For reservations and information call 973-233-0800; BYO.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I cannot figure out when they are open! Are they still open for lunch on S. Fullerton? I could swear that when I walked by yesterday midafternoon they were closed. So have they changed their menu back? I thought they had switched to pizza and panini, as in their uptown (Upper Montclair, Bellevue Ave) bakery. And that they were to be open all day, as uptown.

They are wonderful people, and I wish them all the success possible, but until they have kept a consistent schedule for a couple of weeks I will not plan ahead to dine there.

• 9 months later...