• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Eats in Amsterdam

I’d like to recommend a chocolateria / desserteria in the Jordaan area just to the NW of town (or just west of the Central Rail Station). It’s called Jordino. Situated on a pleasant shopping street at Haarlemmerdijk 25, it’s well worth the walk from central Amsterdam (about 20-25 minutes on foot, if I remember correctly). I don’t know what they’re called, but the specialty of the shop is a fig stuffed with marzipan, dipped in chocolate and dusted with cocoa powder. It’s excellent! They also have a prune version that’s equally good. It’s in a nice neighborhood and folks are really quite friendly. Have fun and don't be afraid to chat with people in the shops!

Jordino

Haarlemmerdijk 25

Tel. 020 420 3225

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

while we're on the subject of chocolate, when you're in that area, also visit Unlimited Delicious. I love their stuff :wub:

as far as other recommendations go. There are a number of threads in this forum mentioning various restaurants in different price ranges;

here

here

and here

and yes even more here

if you tell me in what area you're staying, and what kind of places you're looking for, I might be able to give you more specific recommendations.

while we're on the subject of chocolate, when you're in that area, also visit Unlimited Delicious. I love their stuff  :wub:

as far as other recommendations go. There are a number of threads in this forum mentioning various restaurants in different price ranges;

here

here

and here

and yes even more here

if you tell me in what area you're staying, and what kind of places you're looking for, I might be able to give you more specific recommendations.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am staying near the Van Gogh Museum and would be grateful for any other suggestions you may have! Specifically, a good bar to check out and a place for lunch after cruising some museums.

Rachel

Edited by vsrachel (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I will be in Amsterdam next week (7 day visit). Looking for suggestions for great ethnic food - specifically Indonesian and Lebanese/Middle Eastern.

We will be near the Anne Frank House (staying at the Canal House).

Also hoping to book a table at De Kas - any egulleteers been there yet?

Lastly, would love some suggestions for atmospheric bars/koffee houses (I was told coffee with a "K" = coffee, coffee with a "C", not coffee!)

Hi hazardnc!

my favorite Lebanese restaurant in Amsterdam is Beyrouth:

Kinkerstraat 18, West, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 616 06 35 / Fax (020) 616 06 35

I just came home from a wonderful dinner at a Turkish restaurant, Orontes

Albert Cuypstraat 40, De Pijp, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 679 62 25

which is another favorite of mine. Great appetizers and wonderful service.

Mamouche is a trendy (with prices to match) Moroccan place. I've never been there myself but heard good things about it.

very basic, but cheap and good food, is Eufraat ("assyrian food")

1e Van der Helststraat 72, De Pijp, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 672 05 79

hope this helps!

Edited by Chufi (log)

Thanks Chufi!

I have read about Beyrouth. I will definitely put that one on my list.

Since you live in Amsterdam, perhaps you would tell me other food experiences I should not miss. We will be there for a week, staying at the Canal House most nights, but splurged on Hotel 717 for our last night.

Is there a good chocolate shop? Which grocery store should I visit (I love to browse the aisles and I often buy food gifts that way), which market day is the best? We are in there from a Wednesday - Wednesday.

Is the Santa Claus Festival anything interesting?

Is there a good chocolate shop?  Which grocery store should I visit (I love to browse the aisles and I often buy food gifts that way), which market day is the best?  We are in there from a Wednesday - Wednesday. 

Is the Santa Claus Festival anything interesting?

Chocolate, ah.

There's Puccini Bomboni (website is a litle weird, if you click on the white squares with the number, you get info about their different shops)

One of my favorite places to have coffee and a delicious cake or chocolates is Chocolaterie Pompadour. It's mentioned in my blog (see link in my sig).

Another great place for chocolates isUnlimited Delicious.

markets. There's a famers market every saturday on the church square at the Noorderkerk (Noordermarkt). If you like applepie, on the conrt of the market is lunchroom Winkel, famous for it's applepie (people stand in line for it every Saturday).

The Albert Cuyp market (Albert Cuypstraat) is held every day except Sunday. It's nothing fancy, but it's where the 'real' people do their shopping (like me :smile: ) and it's one of my favorite places in the city, just for the huge variety of little shops and foodstuffs you can get there.

For a quick Surinam/Indonesian bite, visit Toko Tjin in a little street just off the market (1e van der Helststraat 64)

I'm afraid you will be very disappointed in the supermarkets and grocerystores. They are generally small and lack variety.

When you are here next week, the Sinterklaas festivities won't be in full swing yet (the day of the celebration is december 5th), but you will be able to buy all sorts of Sinterklaas related sweets. For more about Sinterklaas see this post in my little blog on Dutch Food.

One of my favorite places to have coffee and a delicious cake or chocolates is Chocolaterie Pompadour.

oops forgot to add their address. They have two shops/tearooms:

Huidenstraat 12

Kerkstraat 148

• 2 weeks later...

We returned last night from our trip to Amsterdam. We had a wonderful week in a beautiful city.

I am not a great food writer, so I will not go into great detail, but foodie highlights on this trip:

the biologic - or organic - food at Noordmarkt on Saturday morning, chocolates from Puccini Bomboni and Unlimited Delicious, checking out the fish sellers and eating frittes with mayo at Albert Cuyp market, dinner at Claes Claesz in the Jordaan, fondue at Cafe Bern, grabbing a falafel from one of the many Maoz Falafel stands, drinking coffee or wine at Cafe Dante on Spui and people watching, buying cheese de Kaaskamer. We loved seeing the city prepare for Sinterklaas and laughed at te children dressed up as Zwarte Piet - you'd never get away with that here in the US!

The only low point was the arrogant attitude of one the salesmen at de Kaaskamer.

Chufi, if you saw it on your news there - we were among the fortunate folks who were on the USAirways flight that had to make an emergency landing because of engine failure (and fire!) We had a great trip, but we are so glad to be home.

I brought back chocolates from Unlimited Delicious, lots of cheeses and Speculaas.

I'm so glad you had a nice time!

I'm glad you also went to the Albert Cuyp market, it's very different from the fancy organic market at the Noordermarkt, but it's a 'real' market. I love it and I go there whenever I get the chance (4 times a week..)

and ah, fondue at cafe Bern.. it's been too long since I've had that! Good choice!

enjoy the goodies you brought home!

• 1 month later...
my favorite Lebanese restaurant in Amsterdam is Beyrouth:

Kinkerstraat 18, West, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 616 06 35 / Fax (020) 616 06 35

I just came home from a wonderful dinner at a Turkish restaurant, Orontes

Albert Cuypstraat 40, De Pijp, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 679 62 25

which is another favorite of mine. Great appetizers and wonderful service.

Mamouche is a trendy (with prices to match) Moroccan place. I've never been there myself but heard good things about it.

very basic, but cheap and good food, is Eufraat ("assyrian food")

1e Van der Helststraat 72, De Pijp, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 672 05 79

Chufi, these are great and helpful suggestions and along with other threads are terrific.

Since we get plenty of French food in Paris, your thoughts on (1) Indonesian (2) Seafood, (3) Indian and (4) Southeast Asian places in Amsterdam would also be welcome.

My wife Colette will be in Amsterdam for a week doing art stuff and staying at the Sofitel and thus for lunch she wants places a reasonable distance from the museums in Central Amsterdam but in the evening can use her trans pass to go anywhere there is good fare.

Thanks, John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Chufi, these are great and helpful suggestions and along with other threads are terrific. 

Since we get  plenty of French food in Paris, your thoughts on (1) Indonesian (2) Seafood, (3) Indian and (4) Southeast Asian places in Amsterdam would also be welcome.

My wife Colette will be in Amsterdam for a week doing art stuff and staying at the Sofitel and thus for lunch she wants places a reasonable distance from the museums in Central Amsterdam but in the evening can use her trans pass to go anywhere there is good fare.

Thanks, John

Hi John,

I'll try to give you some reccommendations.

Indonesian: I like Djago Scheldeplein 18, Rivierenbuurt, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 664 20 13 / Fax (020) 676 35 16

keuken open 17.00-21.30, za gesloten

but it's a bit out of the city center.

More central is Tempo Doeloe:

Utrechtsestraat 75, Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 625 67 18 / Fax (020) 639 23 42

keuken open 18.00-23.30

I have never eaten there myself but I read good reviews.

Supposedly the best Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam is Blue Pepper. I'm not even sure if you can get a rijsttafel there, it's a much more modern cuisine (and expensive). Again, I have not been there myself.

Nassaukade 366 , Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 489 70 39

keuken open 18.00-22.00

Fish: Visaandeschelde website here, . I've heard very good things about it recently. (I have eaten there myself but it was years ago )

A good Thai is Krua Thai Classic

Staalstraat 22, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 622 95 33 / Fax (020) 624 90 62

keuken open 17.00-22.30, ma gesloten , it's near the Opera.

I've recently been to Ko Chang and liked it:

Westerstraat 91, Jordaan, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 638 10 39

keuken open 17.00-22.30, ma gesloten

A very good Korean place is Arirang

Marnixstraat 198, Jordaan, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 620 09 62 / Fax (020) 427 05 02

keuken open 18.00-22.30, di gesloten

A wonderful place for breakfast, lunch or brunch is the Bakkerswinkel website here,

it's a bakery that bakes delicious bread, cakes, pastries etc and also serves light meals. 2 locations:

Roelof Hartstraat 68 (south part of the city, but not too far from the museums)

Warmoesstraat 69 (in the centre).

If you need any more info, please ask!

I thought of another place, that does not fall into any of the categories you asked for, but it isn't french either : Pygmalion, South African cuisine

Nieuwe Spiegelstraat 5a, Leidseplein, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 420 70 22

keuken open 17.30-22.30, ma gesloten

In the Museum quarter. Had dinner there once and loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Klary (and others),

My wife and I will be in Amsterdam in April (for the first time in 20 years or so), and I appreciate the good advice on this lists. What I haven't seen much discussion of are the really top restaurants in Amsterdam. (Does Michelin put out a red guide?)

When I first visited Amsterdam in 1959 (I'm not that old - I was nine), we ate at D'Vijff Vlieghen. It may have been my first (one of my first) gourmet restaurants. I remember eating Duck L'Orange (or what ever the Dutch might have called that hoary old dish) - and it was (for a 9 year old's palate) wonderful and the place was just a fantasy land. I returned in the 1980s, and it remained great fun (I didn't order the Duck). How is the restaurant these days?

Are there any world class restaurants in the Netherlands? I'll be there for six nights and my wife and I will want restaurants at various price points. I have a good sense of the mid-range from all the posts.

Thanks.

Klary (and others),

My wife and I will be in Amsterdam in April (for the first time in 20 years or so), and I appreciate the good advice on this lists. What I haven't seen much discussion of are the really top restaurants in Amsterdam. (Does Michelin put out a red guide?)

When I first visited Amsterdam in 1959 (I'm not that old - I was nine), we ate at D'Vijff Vlieghen. It may have been my first (one of my first) gourmet restaurants. I remember eating Duck L'Orange (or what ever the Dutch might have called that hoary old dish) - and it was (for a 9 year old's palate) wonderful and the place was just a fantasy land. I returned in the 1980s, and it remained great fun (I didn't order the Duck). How is the restaurant these days?

Are there any world class restaurants in the Netherlands? I'll be there for six nights and my wife and I will want restaurants at various price points. I have a good sense of the mid-range from all the posts.

Thanks.

Hi gaf,

unfortunately I don't dine in high-end restaurants as often as I'd like :biggrin: so I can't give you many personal recommendations.

But if you like, I can give some suggestions based on experiences of friends, and the restaurant reviews that I read. I'm a bit busy right now but look for a list within a couple of days.

Klary

Chufi,

Checking on Michelin (not always the most reliable source, especially for one-star restaurants) I gather that the one-stars in Amsterdam are Christoph, Ciel Bleu, La Rive, Vermeer, and Yamazato. Are any of them really first rate? I see that D'Vijff Vlieghen lacks a star (I'm going anyhow).

The three star restaurants in the Netherlands are Parkheuve in Rotterdam, DeLibrije in Zwolle, and Oud Sluis. Since I will be without a car, Sluis seems unlikely, but I would assume that Zwolle and Rotterdam are reachable by train, and I trust there are taxis. Do you have a sense of which would be a better choice.

Is there something that the Red Guide might have missed. Even if you haven't eaten at these places, any gossip would be useful.

Thanks.

Chufi,

Checking on Michelin (not always the most reliable source, especially for one-star restaurants) I gather that the one-stars in Amsterdam are Christoph, Ciel Bleu, La Rive, Vermeer, and Yamazato. Are any of them really first rate? I see that D'Vijff Vlieghen lacks a star (I'm going anyhow).

The three star restaurants in the Netherlands are Parkheuve in Rotterdam, DeLibrije in Zwolle, and Oud Sluis. Since I will be without a car, Sluis seems unlikely, but I would assume that Zwolle and Rotterdam are reachable by train, and I trust there are taxis. Do you have a sense of which would be a better choice.

Is there something that the Red Guide might have missed. Even if you haven't eaten at these places, any gossip would be useful.

Thanks.

Hi gaf,

Again, my comments are based on hearsay, gossip, and reading lots of restaurant reviews, not on any personal experience. :smile:

Christophe: seems to be solid, consistent good quality, but not very creative or imaginative.

Ciel Bleu is located on the top floor (23rd floor) of the Okura hotel and has defintely one of the best views in the city. Reviews seem to be consistingly good and rave about great service and luxurious atmosphere.

Yamazoto is also in the Okura but on the ground flloor, it's their Japanese restaurant. A friend of mine says he had the best dinner of his life there...

Vermeer (english website) lost a star I think. Menu looks intriguing.

La Rive (english website) is beautifully situated in one of the most luxurious hotels of Amsterdam, the Amstel Hotel. La Rive was recently voted best restaurant of Amsterdam (2006) by a Dutch restaurant review magazine.

In that same magazine, Oud Sluis came in first, Librije second, and Parkheuvel 3rd.

By the way i think you should take a look at the blog of EGullet member ulteriorepicure, he has reviews of 3 Dutch toprestaurants on his blog here (Oud Sluis, de Librije and De Bokkedoorns, in Overveen, which is near the sea)

A couple of other tips: I have heard many people, including the leading Amsterdam restaurant critic, say that restaurant Bordewijk

Noordermarkt 7, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 624 38 99 / Fax (020) 638 36 93

keuken open 18.30-22.30, ma gesloten

is the one of the best restaurants in the city. What it lacks in ambiance (the decor is a bit sparse and they are known for the really bad acoustics of the place) it makes up for in location (on the picturesque Norrdermarkt, but most of all in the food, Dutch/Belgian/French.

Best Italian restaurant: SegugioUtrechtsestraat 96a, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 330 15 03 / Fax (020) 330 15 16

keuken open 18.00-23.00, zo gesloten

I had dinner there once and it was lovely. very elegant, top quality italian food, with great respect for authentic ingredients.

Best restaurant for fish: Visaandeschelde

Scheldeplein 4, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 675 15 83 / Fax (020) 471 46 53

keuken open 12.00-14.30, 17.30-23.00, za-zo geen lunch

a little bit out of the city centre but worth the detour. I ate there once but it was years ago

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask for more information if you need it!

• 5 months later...

My husband and I travel to Amsterdam regularly, so we are fairly familiar with the restaurant scene. However, we haven't been in about a year. Are there any new restaurants that you would recommend we try?

Marius is an absolute must, recently cited by more than one authority as one of the very best in Holland. Kees worked at Chez Panisse in Berkeley and is still closely tied to Alice Waters and the Sheres. He's been through the Michelin mill and has settled into the sort of place he really wants.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

I'm going to Marius next week, I'll report here!

Malibugal, I have heard good things about Greetje, a relatively new restaurant serving classic Dutch cuisine. See what people thought about it here in the Amsterdam thread.

If i think of some other places, I will post about it in that thread.

I must say that Yamazato (at Hotel Okura) is excellent. It's the delicate Japanese food I have been missing ever since my husband was transferred to New Jersey last year. The service is courteous, and the only down-side is that it's packed with businessmen who don't seem to be enjoying themselves (naturally).

• 3 weeks later...

I for one would be interested to see this "wishlist"....maybe we can divide and conquer. Blue Pepper's not on there, is it? This is certainly not a new restaurant anymore, but I haven't been to De Kas, either, I decided to wait until after their initial marketing blitz, and then....I forgot about them. I guess that's why restaurants do marketing blitzes! Anyway, has anyone been recently?

mem