• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Eats in Amsterdam

Naylor has worked almost all the time with Robert Kranenborg.

Kranenborg was the chef of La Rive before he started Vossius in order to achieve his third Michelin star; he only got one, and went bankrupt. Then Kranenborg started in Le Cirque, the upscale restaurant of the (Fortis) Circus Theatre in Scheveningen / The Hague, which theatre has a simple restaurant as well.

Difficult to say what Naylor's style is. Pascal Jalhaij of Vermeer worked as the sous of Kranenborg at La Rive, but I find Jalhaij much more creative then the more classic-modern Kranenborg.

Whether Naylor is more into creative Jalhaij-style or more in the classic, but not old fashioned Kranenborg-style, I don't know, especially since he does not seem to have worked as a chef himself.

• 1 month later...

am looking for good everyday places (of all cuisines) in a'dam...

riis, herrings, tempeh, ...open to all, but i'm looking for the type of neighborhood place that you return to again and again. nothing stuffy, ...homey, like amsterdam. (go dennis berkhamp!)

thanks,

t.

Hi t.,

I am not fond of Indonesian food so I can't help you there.

For a herring (broodje haring): there are lots of 'haringkarren' on the streets where you can get those. For example on the Albert Cuypmarkt (Albert Cuypstraat, market everyday exept sunday)

A few other places that come to mind:

de Griekse Taverna, Hobbemakade 64 (south). Very good greek food.

Lo Stivale d'Oro, Amstelstraat 49 (center), italian food like in Italy, sweet little place with Italian mamma in the kitchen.

A great place for atmosphere is cafe/restaurant Het Blauwe Theehuis, right in the middle of the Vondelpark (not to be confused with the 2 other restaurants in the park, Vertigo and het Melkhuis.. both not very good and very unfriendly)

Orontes, Albert Cuypstraat 40. (south) Turkish food, fantastic appetizers, very friendly staff.

Loetje, Johannes Vermeerstraat 52 (south). Famous for their steaks.

Not exactly a restaurant and about as informal as you can get is Van Dobben (Korte Reguliersdwarsstraat 5, near Rembrandtplein). This is a shop that sells sandwiches. Just rolls with good meat or cheese, nothing fancy like bits of lettuce and they have never heard of sundried tomatoes or pesto! But they are famous for their meat-croquettes and their 'broodje halfom' (roll with equal amounts of liver and a pastrami-like meat).

I hope this helps.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Hi Chufi:

I noticed you recently responded to an inquiry about restaurants in Amsterdam.

I am hoping that you might be so kind as to provide comment about some restaurants

my partner and I are considering for evening meals. We will be visiting Amsterdam

Nov. 25 - Dec. 1.

The restaurants we are considering include:

Cafe Luxembourg

De Schutter

De Prins

Spanjer & Van Twist

De Waag

De Roode Leeuw

Cafe De Jaren

Restaurant De Poort

Piet De Leeuw

Haesje Claes

Thank you very much for sharing any insights you may have as to the merits of

these restaurants. We are looking forward to our trip with great anticipation.

Sincerely,

CMA

Cafe Luxembourg

De Schutter

De Prins

Spanjer & Van Twist

De Waag

De Roode Leeuw

Cafe De Jaren

Restaurant De Poort

Piet De Leeuw

Haesje Claes

Luxembourg: bistro style, classic food, very much a place to watch people and be seen. never been there myself for dinner

De Schutter is mostly frequented by students because of there cheap and filling daily specials. Relaxed atmosphere. I used to go there a lot when I was a student. More of a bar than a restaurant.

Spanjer & van Twist - trendy little place great location on small canal, maybe nicer for lunch than for dinner

De Jaren: grand cafe style place, nice for coffee and cake while reading a newspaper. Service is really bad (at least that's been my experience).

Piet de Leeuw: old-fashioned place serving steaks, liver and stuff like that. If you like that kind of food I would however reccommend Loetje (mentioned in my previous post) over this one.

Hope you'll have a great time in Amsterdam!

What about:

Baerle, Brasserie van (just re-opened: classic)

Hollandais, Le (Dutch classic cuisine with modern touch)

Vis aan de Schelde (fish restaurant)

or just simple: Wagamama of the well known chain.

Anyway, I highly recommned Le Hollandais, also because of the interesting wine list.

• 2 months later...

most guidebooks (lonely planet, etc) are written without the budget gourman in mind...and most are quick to point out that the dining scene in amsterdam has a dearth of good eats.

i'm willing to spend up to 50 euros/person, prefer the 25-30 euro range though. any suggestions?

most guidebooks (lonely planet, etc) are written without the budget gourman in mind...and most are quick to point out that the dining scene in amsterdam has a dearth of good eats.

i'm willing to spend up to 50 euros/person, prefer  the 25-30 euro range though.  any suggestions?

There are already some suggestions in various threads in this subforum. But here are some of my suggestions:

Pulpo has a very nice 3-course dinner for 26 euro. It is not in the centre (about 10 minutes by streetcar from the Leidseplein).

Morlang also not too expensive, but creative cuisine. Right in the centre on one of the canals.

One of my favorites for a romantic dinner: A la ferme French country cooking with organic produce.

very good french food but quite expensive (about 50 euro for 3 courses): Van Vlaanderen, Weteringschans 175, Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam

phone (020) 622 82 92

And finally one of the best Italian places in the city (with prices to match, but it's worth it): Segugio

enjoy your stay!

Had an excellent Italian dinner at Hostaria (very small, you need to reserve).

Also enjoyed dinner at Dining 11, creative and very satisfying.

Had very good breakfasts at eating and cookikng (Eten & Kuchen?) on the middle of the three horizontal of the nine streets, off Prinsengracht.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, all. Freckles here... I'm heading to Amsterdam for a long weekend this Friday. Staying at Seven One Seven; can't wait! Will let you know what I find re. dining and would love any additional input before I leave. Have any of you been to The Supperclub? Saw a photo and it looks very cool.

Thanks.

I'm going to be in Amsterdam at the end of April for 10 days.  Any recommendations on places to eat?  I'd like some nice places as well as good, cheap eats.

I just returned from Amsterdam.... For your upscale dining, I highly recommend the restaurant "La Rive" located in the Amstel Intercontinental. It is a one or two star (I forget which one) and certainly worth your time. Would recommend you do one of the tasting menus and also go for the suggested wine pairings. My seven course tasting meal included 4 amuses and such wonderful dishes as those listed below:

"Scallop and truffle ravioli with braised courgette and buerre blanc w/dried thyme"

and,

"Sea bass fillet sauteed on its skin and served with artichoke, preserved red pepper and a caper and anchovy jus"

I'd list more, but I'm sure the menu will have changed by the time you arrive.... you can always ask for the rest....

Good luck!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings. We are about to take our first trip to Amsterdam (amazing that we haven't been there before). Any experiences with the following restaurants?

Blue Pepper

Tempo Doeloe

D'Vijff Vlieghen.

De Kas

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Hello, All,

I'm leaving for Amsterdam this evening and am wondering if anyone has dining and other cultural recommedations. I am looking forward to cheese and Indonesian food for sure. Thanks.

Woods

Edited by Woods (log)

there are a number of threads with Amsterdam recommendations:

here

here

and here

Re Indonesian: it's not my favorite kind of food.. but I've heard good things about Sampurna and about

Blue Pepper

Nassaukade 366 , West, Amsterdam

Telefoon (020) 489 70 39

keuken open 18.00-22.00

(upscale, a bit expensive, but supposed to be worth it)

for cheese I can highly recommend 2 excellent cheese shops:

De Kaaskamer, Runstraat 7

and

Kef, Marnixstraat 192.

Enjoy your trip and report back please!

Edited by Chufi (log)

Probably too late since you are leaving today, but.. if you like markets, I can recommend the Albert Cuyp market (Albert Cuyp straat, daily exept sundays). It has everything: food, clothes, herring, plastic stuff, cd's, fake perfume. It's the place where Amsterdammers go to buy their stuff.. nothing fancy.. but real. It's always busy and lively and it's one of my favorite places in the whole city.

Also, around the market look out for shops with the sign 'toko'. These are ethnic foodshops that often double as tiny restaurants or snackbars, a good place to get some Indonesian/ Surinam food.

Another market, much fancier, is on Saturdays at the Noordermarkt. Lots of organic fruit and veg, bread, artisanal cheeses, etc.

Chufi,

Are these markets year-round? We won't be there till January.

MelissaH

Probably too late since you are leaving today, but.. if you like markets, I can recommend the Albert Cuyp market (Albert Cuyp straat, daily exept sundays). It has everything: food, clothes, herring, plastic stuff, cd's, fake perfume. It's the place where Amsterdammers go to buy their stuff.. nothing fancy.. but real. It's always busy and lively and it's one of my favorite places in the whole city.

Also, around the market look out for shops with the sign 'toko'. These are ethnic foodshops that often double as tiny restaurants or snackbars, a good place to get some Indonesian/ Surinam food.

Another market, much fancier, is on Saturdays at the Noordermarkt. Lots of organic fruit and veg, bread, artisanal cheeses, etc.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Chufi,

Are these markets year-round? We won't be there till January.

Hi Melissa,

yes, the Albert Cuyp market is there every day, except Sundays and holidays, year round. The farmers market is there year round every Saturday, although ofcourse in the winter there is a little less in the realm of fresh vegetables.. although that is made up for by the cheese, bread and not to mention the fabulous mushroom guy!

January can be cold and and dark, but then, what better excuse to go sit in a cosy cafe and have coffee & applepie.. or a glass of beer, or gin!

If you like contact me by the time you're going, and I'm sure I'll be able to give you lots more tips.

Edited by Chufi (log)

• 2 months later...

Hello:

I am visiting Amsterdam for the first time next week, and am looking for some insight on the best places to find both traditional Dutch fare, or just a fabulous dining experience (anything from coffeshop to bar reco's would be welcomed).

Thank you!