• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled Cheese night at Campanile

Beachfan

It's a zoo, and the sandwiches are fairly tasty...between $12-18. They include fries and a salad. It's a very starchy meal, as they also give you a bread basket. If you include some decent wine, and split a desert ($8-11), the tab can easily exceed $40 pp w/tax&tip. Which, IMO, is ridiculous for some bar food.

Then again, I've always been disappointed with the food and especially the service (incompetent and haughty) at Campanile.

Coachboy

I think grilled cheese night is a ton of fun--I used to go a lot when they first started doing it.

Unfortunately, it got way too popular, and the waits got to be outrageous. (They only use the front area for the grilled cheese menu, and the situation gets ugly because they take reservations for parties of 8 or more only. One night they had three large parties, which took up practically the whole space, so the wait was outrageous! Hopefully they are handling it better now...)

But go early (7.00 or before) if you want to check it out.

Coachboy is right about the check--it is not as cheap as it might be. But to me the quality of the food and the inventiveness of the menu make it worth the price. Going with the more unusual combos might make it seem more interesting--my favorite is burata cheese with bitter treviso. MMM.