• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omaha Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

bilrus

This is actually a very interesting thread. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Omaha Prime. I've never been and I've heard very mixed things about it. I'm also a little surprised no one mentioned Liberty Tavern in the Hilton by the Qwest Center. It's not really a steakhouse, but they do have a nice selection of steak dishes and I know chef Wheeler tries to use local ingredients. I'm not sure if this extends to selecting their beef.

I think it's difficult for people in Omaha to recommend a steakhouse because most people I know would rather just go to the grocery store and cook their own. The steaks are usually just as good and a fraction of the price. And just because a restaurant is located in Omaha, doesn't guarantee they are using midwest beef. Heck, I don't even think Omaha Steaks exclusively uses midwest beef.

If you want old school places that have been open for 30 years and haven't changed much in those years, pick from Johnny's, Gorat's, or Anthony's. (Side note, Johnny's was featured in the movie About Schmidt if that matters to you at all)

If you want a place that is not purely a steakhouse try The Flatiron or Liberty Tavern (which I happen to think is the best restaurant in Omaha, however, I've never had a steak there).

If you want to stay safer with a chain, try Firebird's, Mahogany, or Flemings.

Places that I've heard are good, but I wouldn't go to if I was just in town for a day are The Drover and Brother Sebastian's.

Stay away from Mr. C's unless you like to actively seek out the odd.

Gastronomic Fight Club - Mischief. Mayhem. Soup.

Foodies of Omaha - Discover the Best of Omaha

See, that's exactly why I WOULD go to Mr. C's.

I guess I do seek out the odd. We're talkin' Nebraska, where Odd is a way of life.

You can eat a steak at a chain anywhere.

We're back to Mr. Trillin's Revolving French Restaurant rule.

See, that's exactly why I WOULD go to Mr. C's.

I guess I do seek out the odd. We're talkin' Nebraska, where Odd is a way of life.

You can eat a steak at a chain anywhere.

We're back to Mr. Trillin's Revolving French Restaurant rule.

I do too, but people should be aware of what they're getting in to before they go. I haven't heard of one person saying they're the best steakhouse in Omaha. At least not for the food.

Thank you all for your comments. We ate at Drover's last night. I had whiskey ribeye and my husband had the whiskey strip. Good flavor but we are still looking for "the steak". We got there just a little after 5 so getting a seat wasn't hard. Getting served was another thing. It really filled up before we left. I'm amazed at the large parties, even one of 9, who show up without reservations. Somehow they all get seated.

Again, thanks for your input.

Kay

>8

I think it's difficult for people in Omaha to recommend a steakhouse because most people I know would rather just go to the grocery store and cook their own.  The steaks are usually just as good and a fraction of the price.  And just because a restaurant is located in Omaha, doesn't guarantee they are using midwest beef.  Heck, I don't even think Omaha Steaks exclusively uses midwest beef.

8<

i agree.

no offense to anyone, but i always cringe when i hear this question.

since it's one that gets asked soooo frequently.

my stock response is always: "my house".

i've honestly never had a steak at any restaurant that i've thought was better then what i could cook in my own yard - especially when i splurged on lobel's (drool).

there are so many great places in this town to eat it's a shame that people miss out on a lot of stuff in the search for the fabled 'great omaha steak'.

i've not been to omaha prime either, but it is a place that usually gets mentioned the most along with the overrated-because-warren-buffet-eats-there gorat's.

anyone considering omaha prime should note that it is decidedly the most expensive steakhouse in town.

the entire menu is a la carte and can add up pretty quickly.

that being said, does anyone know if any of the steakhouses in town actually dry age their beef in-house?

i know at one time anthony's steakhouse did, but since the 'o-zone club' moved in there i notice they've taken mention of that off their menu.

they do state their beef is aged, but the in-house qualifier seems to have been removed.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

• 1 month later...
It looks like several Omaha restaurants are closing shop including

Di Coppia at 132nd & Dodge

Mother's Good Food on Saddle Creek

Jonesy's at 8602 Maple St.

Ellada's at 168th & Center

Just noticed this...Ellada's - is that the Greek/Mediterranean place?

If so, they've been in Dundee for quite a while - 620 N 50th St.

Great food...very small.

I never knew they had a spot out on Center.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Just noticed this...Ellada's - is that the Greek/Mediterranean place?

If so, they've been in Dundee for quite a while - 620 N 50th St.

Great food...very small.

I never knew they had a spot out on Center.

I believe they were owned by the same people. AFAIK the one in Dundee is still open. The one in Legacy has been replaced by a Nestle Toll House Cafe.

• 7 months later...
I will be in Omaha for the ICES convention and am looking for restaurant suggestions near the convention center and the Hilton.

Are you looking for walkable places or will you have wheels?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I will be in Omaha for the ICES convention and am looking for restaurant suggestions near the convention center and the Hilton.

What kind of places are you looking for? Liberty Tavern is in the Hilton and is a pretty good restaurant.

Assuming you want to stay downtown, M's Pub is a great spot for just chilling and eating some great food, especially the Thai Lavash. Upstream Brewing Company has some really good beer and also happens to serve pretty good food. And Ted & Wally's is an Omaha institution for ice cream.

To help you decide, here are some lists that might be of use.

Restaurants in Downtown Omaha

Omaha Restaurants: Menus and Websites

• 3 months later...

I am heading into town, staying at the Embassy Suites in the downtown/Old Market area.

Any good restaurants within walking distance? M's sounds good .... what else?

And while Omaha may be the wrong place to ask, one of my traveling companions is vegetarian -- anything recommended on that front?

Everything depends on what you're looking for. What do you define as "Good"? As I said in my previous post, M's is great. Liberty Tavern can be great, but is inconsistent. I forgot to mention V. Mertz, which is probably one of the best restaurants in town, but pricey. For vegetarian, check out Ahmad's or Indian Oven.

Everything depends on what you're looking for.  What do you define as "Good"?  As I said in my previous post, M's is great. Liberty Tavern can be great, but is inconsistent.  I forgot to mention V. Mertz, which is probably one of the best restaurants in town, but pricey.  For vegetarian, check out Ahmad's or Indian Oven.

Thanks for the info. Had a nice time in Omaha. I did not make it out of downtown, but I had a great meal at M's, where everything was done very well. Basic hearty american fare, but executed perfectly.

I also ate at Upstream, where I had a very mediocre steak. But the beer there was great. We had dinner one night at La Buvette -- the wine was great, but the salad I ordered was a disaster. "House-made" gravlax with dried dill, for gods sake. Yuk. But it was fun, despite the food.

So thanks again for the tips.

• 4 months later...

Hubby is spending two weeks in Omaha on business late next month, and thought I would check and see what is interesting. He will be staying downtown, with car, somewhere in the vicinity of Pacific?

He will be working like 12 hours a day facilitating some training classes that start around noonish - so will not have much time for sit down Dinners (except maybe on the weekend). He is really looking for big breakfast, and quick lunches and dinners, probably carryout pretty often.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I don't know the area real well, but here are some place I might recommend.

BREAKFAST:

Louie M's Burger Lust - Could do for lunch too.

11-Worth Cafe

Taxi's - For Sunday brunch

LUNCH:

Ethnic Sandwich Shop

Los Portales

Bohemian Cafe? - A little bit slower

Dinker's Bar & Grill

DINNER:

M's Pub - When he has time to relax

Lucky's Ten-O-One - Finally got a real chef

RESOURCES:

Reviews of Omaha Restaurants

Someone else can hopefully confirm or deny this, but I've heard Big Daddy's downtown (on Farnam, I think) does a good breakfast.

Another place to consider would be Dixie Quicks on 19th and Leavenworth for lunch and definitely Sunday brunch.

Thanks so much guys, you are the best. I am forwarding these suggestions on to my hubby and his team mate who is doing the next couple of weeks in the same area.

Keep 'em coming, and it is greatly appreciated. These guys are really under the gun and working hard.

A couple more he might want to consider are The Old Mattress Factory, which is a sports bar (never been there and it's gotten some middling reviews, but it's an option and it's not a chain) and Sweets of Eden, which is a bakery that does lunches. They do dinner occasionally, usually when there's an event at the Orpheum theater, which is nearby. I'll second Dinkers and Lucky's.

If he's into Mexican, there are loads of authentic Mexican places on 24th St. Go south from Leavenworth. Don Gaby's is one I can name off the top of my head that's good. There's also a great little bar at 20th and Pierce called Josephine's. The bartender usually has his Doberman with him behind the bar. The dog takes the tips off the bar and cashes them in for treats. I was there around Xmas and didn't see the dog, though, so that policy may have ended. Regardless, it's a great little neighborhood joint.

• 1 year later...

Dear Son has new GF in Iowa ... closest 'city' is Omaha (an hour drive, or so).

Wants to take her out to a nice restaurant. [He's flying in from East Coast]

V. Mertz was suggested but quick google and reading reviews panned it for bad staff, and slow service, even tho the food was listed as good.

What do the locals suggest?!

Ida