• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andrea Immer's new TV show

redwinegulper

I think Andrea should be congratulated for what she has achieved in the wine world. And her enthusiasm is great, she makes wine tasting fun. But I saw her new wine show on TV and was disappointed. The wines that she recommended all came from super big wineries, not that they are bad wines, but it left me with the feeling that she was highlighting wines from wineries that were paying her bills. For example, her everyday wine wa a Sauv.Blanc...ok, sounds good....but it was Robt Mondavi Fume Blanc. It is a nice wine, but couldn't you be a little more creative. The next wine was a Chadonnay....so she chooses an Estate Chard from Gallo. Then a St Francis Merlot , and for the wine of a lifetime she picks Penfolds Grange (I have seen her at 2 other wine tastings and there is always a Penfolds).

I realize that for mass distribution it is helpful to suggest wines that are available worldwide. But it just seemed fishy that these were such big marketing forces.

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

Hmmmmm...very interesting. I can't imagine actually choosing a Mondavi wine, but then if you are on television, you have to appeal to a diverse group of people and if they are watching a show on wine, a lot of the viewers would be trying to learn about wine and I suppose Mondavi and Gallo are an OK place to start? Personally, if that's where I started, I'd probably not be drinking wine any longer :raz: But like you said, those two are readily available, and maybe she's starting out slow and trying to make it accessible. As time goes on, I'm sure it will become clear whether she's being "bought". BTW, what channel is her show on?

The opposite of this is supposedly seen in the pages of the Wine Spectator when they review wines like Marcassin and Littorai with miniscule production (75 to 100 cases) in a vain attempt to seem relevant and independant. The charade fails at the end of the year when they publish the Top 100 and choose some crap like St. Jean over Chateau Margaux.

Mark

There's a difficult balance in running a show like this. Ms. Immer no doubt has access to essentially any bottle in the world she wants to discuss. But if she recommends obscure wines to her viewers and none of them can find in their local wine shops then her show becomes irrelevant. It sounds as if she may be erring too far in the other direction.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Keep in mind, y'all, that Ms. Immer is the official "sommelier" for a chain of department stores called TARGET.

Some of the Target stores actually have a wine aisle and Andrea Immer is their consultant.

From an official Target publication come these pairings of comestibles and wine. While I am capable of satire, I assure you these are the suggestions of Ms. Immer.

CHOCOLATE & SHIRAZ

"Think of chocolate-dipped berries and you'll understand the appeal of this luscious match. Try Fetzer Valley Oaks Shiraz with Dove Dark Chocolate Promises."

POPCORN & CHARDONNAY

Buttery, toasty popcorn loves the buttery, toasty taste of Chardonnay with a kiss of tropical fruit flavors. Pair Orville Redenbacher's Butter Gourmet Popping Corn with Gallo of Sonoma Chardonnay."

SALTED NUTS & PINOT GRIGIO

The racy refreshment of Pinot Grigio is the perfect complement to a nutty, crunchy, salty snack. Planter's Deluxe Mixed Nuts and Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio are terrific together.

CORN CHIPS & SAUVIGNON BLANC

Sauvignon Blanc tastes like a fresh squeeze of lime--delicious with the toasted corn crunch of chips. Tostitos Tortilla Chips are great with Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Sauvignon Blanc.

The question is not, then, can she be "bought" or "Is she for sale?" but "How much?"

Dear Echezeaux,

Thanks for posting that. That is proof enough. Unfortunately, she is not alone. Kevin Zraly and Evan Goldstein have gone the corporate route as well. Orville Redenbacher is a trademark of a little company called ConAgra. Some of their brands you might have heard of are : Parkay Margarine (wonder if Andrea recommends that on popcorn?), Blue Bonnet, Hunt's, Chef Boyardee, JIFFY POP, Armour, Chun King, LaChoy, Manwich, Hebrew National, Slim Jim, Wolfgang Puck's...... you get the picture. Look here for more: http://www.conagrafoods.com/brandfinder/index.jsp

Obviously, there is huge money involved here. The terrifying thing is those Target shoppers who fall for this piffle. "Yep, I'm gonna get me some of that char-doh-nay wine and pop me some corn, yessir".

Blech!

Mark

Maybe it will get more people drinking wine. Maybe trying a popcorn and chard combo will get them to try pairing wines with their dinners when they go out to eat, and when they cook at home, instead of a gin and tonic.

Most people don't know much about wine and, with all due respect, when they meet people who do, like those on this board, they are overwhelmed by the amount of information and put off by the attitude that normally accompanies knowing that information.

Personally, I am glad that there is a show that will introduce more people to wine, maybe that will elevate the level of wine appreciation in the country and force companies to put more effort into producing better wines as more people will know that wine in a box is crap and will be able to better discern the differences between wines without spending a fortune or endless hours reading.

Maybe it will get more people drinking wine. Maybe trying a popcorn and chard combo will get them to try pairing wines with their dinners when they go out to eat, and when they cook at home, instead of a gin and tonic.

Most people don't know much about wine and, with all due respect, when they meet people who do, like those on this board, they are overwhelmed by the amount of information and put off by the attitude that normally accompanies knowing that information.

Personally, I am glad that there is a show that will introduce more people to wine, maybe that will elevate the level of wine appreciation in the country and force companies to put more effort into producing better wines as more people will know that wine in a box is crap and will be able to better discern the differences between wines without spending a fortune or endless hours reading.

i like the way you think.

Thanks! You said it!

Taking the mystery out of wine is a good idea and I applaud all who work to accomplish that.

A friend who's wine column has broad readership was annoyed at seeing a "textbook" on wine and wine appreciation which the publisher hoped would get good reviews and gain distribution.

He pointed out "I don't have to be a cinematography expert to be able to go to the movies and enjoy a film. It's a shame some people think you have to be a wine expert to enjoy a glass of wine."

With all due respect, you know nothing of my attitude. I am jovial and the first person to laugh at the silly pretention associated with my business. The fact that this "expert", Ms. Immer, is recommending plonky wine in association with mega-corporate over processed junk food is appalling, and I would hope that anyone with an ounce of brains could see this for what it is.

Mark

A friend who's wine column has broad readership was annoyed at seeing a "textbook" on wine and wine appreciation which the publisher hoped would get good reviews and gain distribution. 

He pointed out "I don't have to be a cinematography expert to be able to go to the movies and enjoy a film.  It's a shame some people think you have to be a wine expert to enjoy a glass of wine."

which textbook are you referring to? immer's?

With all due respect, you know nothing of my attitude. I am jovial and the first person to laugh at the silly pretention associated with my business. The fact that this "expert", Ms. Immer, is recommending plonky wine in association with mega-corporate over processed junk food is appalling, and I would hope that anyone with an ounce of brains could see this for what it is.

ouch! mark makes it personal.

more to come....

I am jovial and the first person to laugh at the silly pretention associated with my business.

I've met Mark on several occasions, and can vouch for this.

Mark, I've never met you but I think I'd like you :smile: .

As for Andrea, I have met her and like her. To her credit, she is introducing people to wine. Sure, she recommends a lot of plonk, but in my experience I've had to drink plonk to learn to appreciate non-plonk.

I don't want to speak for Mark or anyone else but I think the point is would Andrea Immer be talking about matching particular wines with junk food if she wasn't getting paid to do it by the specific wineries and food purveyors or Target? Doubtful. She has always tried to make wine more accessible and approachable to the masses in previous positions as wine director for several different restaurants, Starwood Hotels and the books and articles she had published. I believe she was very well respected by those more experienced in the world of wine as well as "nouveau" wine drinkers. I looked forward to her recommendations and insights whether they came from TV or magazines or the internet (She did an eGullet Q&A). Now when she makes a recommendation, can she be trusted to be providing her real opinion or simply selling for someone?

Although I kike her a lot, my vote is that she greatly diminishes her credibility by doing this. See BK and Bayless thread.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

But I do know of your attitude, I read it here. Unless of course you don't mean what you say, which would make your attitude even more sinister than your post. Jovial you may be, but your turning this post personal and mean is far from jovial. I never pointed you out or mentioned anything that should have provoked that insult.

I did not mean anything in my remark as an attack, on you or otherwise, and maybe because I have less than "an ounce of brains" I am misinterpreting your comments as an attack on me, in which case forgive me, I am stupid as you obviously know.

I was just pointing out that one of the reasons that a lot of people are put off by wine is the attitude that accompanies it, and quite frankly you are exhibiting it right now. You say it is plonk, then by God it's plonk because you say so. That is a great way to attract new wine drinkers; "unless you like what I like, you are an idiot."

By having a TV show about wine, it allows people to learn about it without having to endure a class with those who DO know a lot and feeling like a dolt, which no one likes to do. What better way to attract more people to wine than to associate wines, that while they may not be great, aren't Franzia either, with foods that they don't have to spend a fortune on or leave their kitchen for? What is the point of suggesting a small production wine to a person who doesn't know much, and therefore hasn't developed the ability to discern the minute differences that make great wines great?

Seeing as I'm not in the business, I must be wrong somewhere in my logic, so I bow to your knowledge. Tell me what to buy, tell me what to eat because apparently I am too stupid to know what I like and I need to be told.

She is trying to make wine fun and more power to her for that. Wine should be fun. If it wasn't fun to begin with, I doubt anyone would have started drinking it in the first place.

Popcorn does not require pairing - any old wine will do. To imply that any sort of pairing is required other than the bottle at hand in the frig does not demystify wine - just the opposite. It implies that there is a "right" wine for popcorn.

Thank God someone is using their years of experience to tell us which wine brings out the nuances in popcorn.

You say it is plonk, then by God it's plonk because you say so. That is a great way to attract new wine drinkers; "unless you like what I like, you are an idiot."

These wines are very well made plonk. What is wrong with them is you can buy better plonk at half the price. What is more off-putting to the new consumer than getting ripped off. If you want people to be relaxed and have a good time with wine they should be able to buy good wines for a reasonable cost instead of paying for all the hype and advertising that got these wines in Target and on TV in the first place.

Half the cost of the wines Immer is selling goes to promotion not winemaking.