• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey Made

msp

Best Provisons, Newark

Hotdogs, Pastrami, Corned Beef, Roast beef, Beef sausages and bacon, bologna, salami, knockwurst....

I second Best Provisions. Let me add also Thumann's of Carlstadt. These 2 companies produce, in my opinion, 2 of the three best tasting franks I've sampled (the other being Usinger's of Milwaukee). Best for all beef, Thumann's for pork and beef. Thumann's also makes outstanding deli meats.

For hot dogs in general, New Jersey is unmatched not only in quality and variety of frankfurters produced, but also in the quality and variety of the hot dogs found in the many hot dog restaurants. Everything from dirty water dogs, deep fried rippers, and griddled fried dogs to Italian Hot Dogs and Texas Weiners. More examples of the humble hot dog than anywhere else. You can even get slaw dogs, Pennylvania type dogs served with pickle and onions, and Chicago style dogs served up at a roadside truck.

Nowhere else can you get an authentic Newark style Italian Hot Dog. The Texas Weiner, despite its name, has its origin in Paterson, N.J. although it is available in other eastern states.

John the hot dog guy

I never understood the concept of an Italian Hotdog having potatoes on it. Wouldn't that be an Irish hotdog? An Italian Hotdog should have marinara and mozzarella, and maybe pasta... :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I agree. An Italian was the first to begin selling this type of sandwich, so he called it an Italian Hot Dog. Also known by many as a Newark Style Hot Dog.

john, is there a name for a hot dog with an egg on it? sounds like it would be a jersey thing. i made one the other day for some unknown reason. it wasn't as disgusting as it might sound.

Yeah, I think it's called a Tommy Dog! I'm trying to remember where I might've heard of this. Either on one of Holly's reviews or on Roadfood. But not quite sure if it was an egg or some other unusual topping.

John the hot dog guy

• 3 weeks later...
I highly recommend a pork roll and cheese or sub sandwich at Slater's in Leonardo.  Very New Jersey.

A/K/A - "the slider"

slider1.jpg

What's inside?

slider2.jpg

The Slider ... definitely detrimental one's health

ask for it by name

:D

that's a nice taylor ham to egg ratio.  but what's with the ketchup?  :hmmm:  :raz:

I call it pork roll and I usually don't get it w/ketchup, but I felt like trying it. I suppose it was snow that put me in a weird mood :wacko:

Besides, what kind of wacko would go out in this weather anyway?

PS: River Palm Tonight, regardless of the weather. I hope I don't slide into the Hudson trying to get there :smile:

I call it pork roll and I usually don't get it w/ketchup, but I felt like trying it. I suppose it was snow that put me in a weird mood :wacko:

Besides, what kind of wacko would go out in this weather anyway?

PS: River Palm Tonight, regardless of the weather. I hope I don't slide into the Hudson trying to get there :smile:

pork roll, taylor ham, all good.

why don't you go to the RP in Fairlawn instead. the road isn't as hilly!

pork roll, taylor ham, all good.

And was it good!! I love some of the expressions I get when I ask for Pork Roll in Manhattan. :hmmm:

PR was one thing I missed when I lived there.

why don't you go to the RP in Fairlawn instead.  the road isn't as hilly!

Honestly, today, I wouldn't go to RPT. But to give (all of) you some history, one year ago I popped the big question in Edgewater. So, I'm determined to make Edgewater RPT a yearly tradition (at least that's what I tell her :laugh:).