• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey Made

msp

Hey Marge.

Laird's Apple Brandy is made in NJ. Its one of the best brandies made in this country and compares favorably with French Calvados. They have a 12 year old that sells usually during the holiday season for about $50

http://www.internetwines.com/rws24151.html

http://www.colts-neck.nj.us/hist/lairds.html

The company is probably the oldest operating distillery in the US -- they have been doing it since 1780. The family has been making the stuff in the US at least since 1717 when the Colts Neck Inn was built, maybe earlier.

http://www.lairdandcompany.com/

Alba Vineyard dessert wines:

http://www.albavineyard.com/ourwines.html

http://www.albavineyard.com/our-redd.html

The red raspberry one has won several awards.

Also, Pickelicious Pickles:

http://www.picklelicious.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I always thought Laird's was strictly a NJ product, but the company's website clearly says it isn't so:

"Currently, all apple distillation is done at our plant in North Garden, Virginia. The orchards of the fertile Shenandoah Valley amply supply our apple needs each harvest season.":

See Laird and Company website.

The website is not clear on the subject, but it appears the distillate is cut with water, aged and bottled in NJ. But since the actual distillation and source of the apples takes place out of state, I'm not sure one can claim Jersey Lightning as a pure NJ product.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I always thought Laird's was strictly a NJ product, but the company's website clearly says it isn't so:

"Currently, all apple distillation is done at our plant in North Garden, Virginia. The orchards of the fertile Shenandoah Valley amply supply our apple needs each harvest season.":

See Laird and Company website.

The website is not clear on the subject, but it appears the distillate is cut with water, aged and bottled in NJ. But since the actual distillation and source of the apples takes place out of state, I'm not sure one can claim Jersey Lightning as a pure NJ product.

Half Jersey and Half Virginia. Good enough. At the very least, the company is still headquartered and finishes the product here.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Ecce Panis bread is wonderful.

And of course, lets not forget Balthazaar Bakery in Englewood which supplies its restaurants and other eateries in NYC. Plus its got a great retail store there.

i'm not sure where they make the sauces for Jerry's in englewood, but i think they're spot on as far as jarred sauces go.

Yeah, these are very good.

http://www.fralingers.com/

Fralinger's Saltwater taffy -- supposedly the ORIGINAL. Whether it is actually still manufactured in Atlantic City I have no idea.

Theres also an Anheuser-Busch plant in Newark. Apparently its capable of pumping out 10 million barrels of beer a year.

And the Savarin plant in Ridgefield.

Oh yeah. Bindi sorbets and pastries. I think some of them are manufactured domestically in Newark. Or it least the primary distribution point is in Newark, see:

http://www.specialtyfoodamerica.com/Bindi.htm

Nasto's ice cream/gelato also from Newark (Featured on The Sopranos at least twice.)

Also, many of the Wonder Bread/Hostess bakeries are located in NJ. And Tastycake. As is Drake Bakeries, home of the infamous coffee cake made famous in that Seinfeld episode.

Teixeira's Bakery -- huge supplier of Italian-Style cakes, breads and cookies, also based in Newark.

I don't know if having 8 giant pharmaceutical houses in NJ qualifies as eGullet worthy (?)(!!)  :raz:

How about International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF)?

They have numerous facilities in NJ and I believe that (one of?) their primary R&D lab(s) is in NJ.

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

I don't know if having 8 giant pharmaceutical houses in NJ qualifies as eGullet worthy (?)(!!)  :raz:

They have numerous facilities in NJ and I believe that (one of?) their primary R&D lab(s) is in NJ.

Yeah, as I understand, they have the secret formula for Pepsi (or was it Coke?) and many of the Snapples, that and among a million other things.

I was there about 10 years ago and installed one of their first multi-processor NCR SQL servers for storing the formulaes.

Yeah, as I understand, they have the secret formula for Pepsi (or was it Coke?) and many of the Snapples, that and among a million other things.

I was there about 10 years ago and installed one of their first multi-processor NCR SQL servers for storing the formulaes.

IFF was discussed in the recent Time magazine article "Inside the food labs." That's why they were on my mind.

For a foodmaker looking for flavor help, the place to go is New Jersey. Commercial sailing vessels returning from the Far East used to unload their cargoes at the New York docks, and the spices and essential oils were sent to storage facilities in New Jersey. When technology made manufacture of synthetic flavors possible, the spice houses were in the best position to capitalize on the new science. Among the biggest of the flavor bigs is International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF), which has one of its global labs in Dayton, N.J.
IFF flavorists have developed chile essences that climb to 1 million. One drop, the scientists boast, can heat a giant pot...
What are old-style cooks to do when this quiet craft is elbowed aside by an industry in which flavor concentrations are measured in parts per billion and companies like IFF can sell, without irony, a product called Fleximint, "a tool kit for mint work"?

Inside the Food Labs

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

I'm pretty sure the lab is in Plainsboro, right? Because it always smells in that area..sometimes vanilla, sometimes floral,sometimes fake- buttery like microwave popcorn! * edited to add that aas I read the rest of the thread, I saw the reference to Dayton, NJ..whcih is the next town over from Plainsboro, so I guess that's the lab I'm thinking of!

Edited by Kim WB (log)

• 1 month later...