• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pinot Noir tasting and dinner

sara

Just a suggestion....

Even though the lamb from Washington State, NY State, Ontario, the Canadian Prairies and British Columbia have not been marketed as well as the NZ and Australian lamb it is far superior and often at a lower price. NZ lamb is the McD's of lamb in the world (sorry in advance to everyone from down under). It is mass-produced.

Hopefully you can find some NY state lamb in your local butcher shop. You will find the lamb has better marbling and a more pronounced lamb flavor. Ask your butcher to leave the fat cap on the lamb rack and cut it off after the lamb has roasted. The lamb will be the most tender and flavorful you have ever had!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I could buy mushrooms and lamb, and whatever else, at the Reading Terminal Market in Philly before heading to DC to cook dinner. If anyone has favorite purveyors in the market, please let me know. Do you think I can get NY lamb there??

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

As for the arrival items, maybe some salty stuff, and a blanc de noir sparkler. Get them to sit down quickly and no one will notice the lack of a million canapes. Hell, after all the slaving away you've done...

I've adopted this philosophy and it has worked extremely well. I set out a few small dishes of assorted olives, some roasted almonds and, if I'm really feeling ambitious, I bake little mounds of fresh grated parmigiano into cheese crisps. I serve with bubbly or a fino sherry.

Another great nibble is little filo cups with a bit of brie and either raspberry or cherry preserves or some hot pepper jelly. Bake until bubbly. Just remember to put the jelly on top or somehow mark the sweet cups from the spicy ones.

Just got the list of wines my guests will be bringing:

2001 Stephen Ross Bien Nacido (Santa Maria CA)

2000 Julian Reserve (Willamette)

2001 Mountford (New Zealand)

1993 and 1994 Panther Creek (OR)

also, possibly a 2001 EIEIO (my favorite)

Any specific suggestions to accompany those??

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes