• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Drunken Meal

:biggrin:

A further memory: margaritas-until-everybody-but-the-designated-driver drops at Lupita's in Evanston, Illinois. Matchless, with the fine chiles rellenos (some of the best to be found north of Frontera Grill!) and a flan thereafter. I distinctly recall walking home (a matter of a mile and a quarter or so) after such a debauch, some years ago (in a soaking rain) and not much noticing it.

I did notice the tequila hangover the next morning. Oy *Gott*, did I notice.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

hands down greatest drunken meal ever:

Time :4:15 AM

Place: Blue Ribbon, Soho, NYC

Menu:

Roasted Marrow Bones, Raw Oysters, Steamed Crawfish, Cheese Fondue, Fried Chicken

washed with glasses of champagne 'cause we needed more to drink and what else can you drink with all of that?

and finished with a chocolate bruno

G-d Bless Blue Ribbon

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Ddukbokki (random alley in Seoul KS)

Spanish Torta (random taverna in Madrid)

Julia's Empanadas (Adam's Morgan, Washington D.C.)

Brick Oven Pizza "BOP" with anchovies, pepperoni and onions (Fells Point, Baltimore, MD)

More when I think of them...

I have family in Mexico City. When we go for major celebrations the parties start at 11 PM and go till 4-5 in the morning. Breakfast is served and usually includes chilaquiles. Man that taste great after all that drinking. After hitting the sack I usually wake with a headache, a bad case of indigestion but had a great time.

A big hunk of Spanish black pudding on a piece of bread in a bar in Bilbao, followed by a big hunk of hot Chorizo in the next bar, followed by a bit of tortilla in the next bar followed by some elvers (baby eels) in the next bar, followed by...... you get the idea!

Ditto #88 above. Cincinnati.

Skyline chili at 2am. 4-way with hot sauce. Ludlow Ave store. Repeatedly.

If it's not the dead of summer, the steam from the bain maries condenses on the windows and is dripping in rivulets down the glass. The place is packed.

Oh, and a York Peppermint Patty as I stumble out the door with my buds.

• 10 years later...