• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Drunken Meal

Best Drunken Meal -

Bacon Swiss Burger, well done, Mozzerella Cheese Fries, extra crispy, gravy on the side. Consumed at the T-Bone Diner in Forest Hills, Queens, NYC.

Or..................any White Castle, anywhere, at 4:30 am.

Wosrt Drunken Meal -

Anything from Takee Outee, a horrible chinese take-out place which used to be on Bourbon St. in New Orleans. Just god awful. Thankfully I don't think it is there anymore.

"I'll have the lobster...... stuffed with tacos"

Anything from any Waffle House.  This is no contest  :wacko:

Jamie

For years, my brother and I would drink (or whatever) and hit the Waffle House nearest our parents' suburban Atlanta home about midnight Christmas Eve/Day. Hash Browns, scattered and smothered.

Further north: Cheesesteaks.

In Boston, half-way between The Beacon Hill Pub ("No Leathers or Gang Colors," though it appears to have cleaned up since I was a regular) and my North End apartment lay Buzzy's. We all swore that they put some addictive drug in the food, why else would anybody eat anything from such a grimy place? The local joke was that it was staffed by prisoners from the nearvby jail. Order at the window and wait outside until your number is called.

DC: Trios. Extra hots. A throwback to the days before a two-bedroom condo in Dupon Circle cost 300 grand.

Philly: whichever has the shortest line. Pat's? Jim's? I can never keep their names straight, for obvious reasons. Watch out for frat boys pissing on your car while you wait.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Alas, busboy. Buzzy's is no more. Health officials seem to have decided that the prisoners were putting a few too many "extras" in the roast beef sammies it seems. Sad to say that late night food here in beantown is in a sad state indeed.

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

It seems that I mis-understood the original question. I thought it was "the best meal where you proceeded to get drunk" as opposed to "the best meal eaten when drunk"

Now, that I'm working with a new definition of best meal eaten drunk, I would have to go back to my college days and the Hot Truck. It was a truck that parked on campus that made sandwiches. On the week-ends, the line for the truck would be enormous and you would frequently wait close to an hour in the freezing cold. I would always order a WGC w/grease and garden which translates to Garlic and cheese w/mayo and lettuce - imagine a very garlicy french bread pizza smothered with mayo and pieces of lettuce. I don't think anyone in their right mind ever ate this stuff sober, but when you were drunk (or stoned) it was like manna from heaven.

Of course the next day you would wake up with a splitting head-ache and indigestion.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

word - i've seen some hilarious things happen at white castle at that hour.

Like possibly me and a fellow bridesmaid, still all done up, covered in glitter, 3 sheets to the wind, ordering jalapeno burgers and those weird chicken rings, being carefully chaperoned by col klink, perhaps?

white castle--word.

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

Jamie

For years, my brother and I would drink (or whatever) and hit the Waffle House nearest our parents' suburban Atlanta home about midnight Christmas Eve/Day. Hash Browns, scattered and smothered.

Never attempt this menu while sober. :laugh:

My favorite thing about Waffle House is they way they yell out the orders, which is sadly falling by the wayside as they computerize.

Thus, my standard order:

"Egg and cheese plate, double the plate, scattered, smothered, covered and diced"

which translates into an egg and cheese sandwich (with 1 mayo packet and 2 pickle chips on the side) with a double order of hash browns with onions, diced tomato, and cheese.

Some days I really miss the South.

:smile:

Jamie

Edited by picaman (log)

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Jamie

Never attempt this menu while sober. :laugh:

My favorite thing about Waffle House is they way they yell out the orders, which is sadly falling by the wayside as they computerize.

Thus, my standard order:

"Egg and cheese plate, double the plate, scattered, smothered, covered and diced"

which translates into an egg and cheese sandwich (with 1 mayo packet and 2 pickle chips on the side) with a double order of hash browns with onions, diced tomato, and cheese.

Some days I really miss the South.

:smile:

Jamie

It's not just the calling, it's watching the cook move in syncopated response -- working the grill and the griddle at top speed, spatula scraping time, and the steady sizzle as he crack one-two-three-four eggs, one after the other, two over easy and two over hard.

And the divorced waitress with the truckdriver boyfriend who's so nice to her kids and is driving all night to be there on Christmas day. Laughing and flirting and calling you "hon" even though she's on her feet, working under the grim flourescent Waffle House lights at 1AM on Christmas day.

Even though I never lived there (parents moved when I was in college) I miss the South sometimes, too.

I'm on the pavement

Alas, busboy.  Buzzy's is no more.  Health officials seem to have decided that the prisoners were putting a few too many "extras" in the roast beef sammies it seems.  Sad to say that late night food here in beantown is in a sad state indeed.

Bummer. You'd think Boston would have more effective historic preservation laws...

I seem to recall a decent Chinese place that was open late, as well. But, as I further seem to recall, it was located next to a strip club, so there was a strong risk that a poor waiter (probably in every sense) like myself might find himself too broke for a decent meal by the time I finally made it from the latter establishment into the former. Judgement being clouded by alcohol and all.

I'm on the pavement

word - i've seen some hilarious things happen at white castle at that hour.

Like possibly me and a fellow bridesmaid, still all done up, covered in glitter, 3 sheets to the wind, ordering jalapeno burgers and those weird chicken rings, being carefully chaperoned by col klink, perhaps?

white castle--word.

Batgrrrl

*lol* well that's par for the course in my circles - well maybe not the bridalwear, unless it's drag queens - wait the bridal party got to wear glitter? fabulous!

i think the craziest thing i saw was this guy in line getting picked on for being in full 80s disco gear by the rest of the patrons. he then got upset and stormed off screaming i'm gonna get all of you! well the entire crowd starts heading for the exits, thinking the guys gonna come back with a gun. (this was in new york) My friends and i stayed at our table in the back wondering what the hell was going on and of course hoping to catch all the action whilst possibly dodging bullets. anyways - the guy comes back with a baseball bat out of his car and smashes in the front window - well when the crowd realizes he doesn't have a gun they chase him out into the parking lot, and he starts runnign down the street, and then they ransacked his car for anything valuable (he left it open in his uhh haste).

my friends and i were definitely not sober an dhtis was the funniest thing in the world to us. other than full on girl-fights that take plac ein the parking lot. those were fun to watch too.

edit - btw this happened in like '93 - hence the guy getting picked on in the first place.

Edited by tryska (log)

It seems like I can eat a lot more when I'm drunk and still not get sick, even though I've just eaten something that would probably make me sick if I *weren't* drunk.

I gotta say, I lived in Tennessee for two years and the best thing about it is that it can sound a lot more romantic than it really is. That bit about the Waffle house cook and waitress was poetry, but when you're there, watching the roaches run up the walls...it's just not the same.

St Patrick's Day, 1976. Myself and six male coworkers went to Boston and got a suite of rooms on the top floor overlooking the Charles River. I can't remember the name of the hotel. We had talked about this and saved for it for over a year and it was a big deal to us. I regestered under the name of my great grandfather, Timothy O'Leary. We started out bar hopping from a limo, per our plan. A few hours and quite a few cocktails later we arrived back at the hotel with 4 limos, which was not in the plan. We had room service set up a buffet in the room complete with a guy making omelettes to order and runners replenishing stuff. There must have been 8 or ten items. There was a group of about 40 or 50 people we 'picked up' on our travels, the majority of them were women. Every place we went into we looked for women in groups and sent over drinks and basically acted like we were made of money. We also bought every bottle of green food coloring in the city for the hotel pool, which was finally turned green when we had just about given up.

I remember having King Crab Legs with melted butter that just couldn't have been any better! I must of had 4 or 5 helpings.

The next morning people seemed to emerge from every nook and cranny and the fact that I was hung over seemed to add to the mystery of where they came from, every time I looked up it seemed there were more people in the room feeling about the same as me.

Next thing ya know, there is the same guy making omelettes to order for everybody.

It took me the greater part of two years to recover financially from that night. Aside from buying cars or houses, that was the most money I have ever spent at one time. I have to say I'll never do it again, but it still puts a smile on my face thinking about it!

i thought of another one, since i'm armenian, and it would be this, drunk off of lots of vodka and arak: my grandma's dolma stuffed with beef (since my dad and grandpa don't like lamb), pilaf loaded with butter, you can tell, pita bread (we call it shami hatz), and lots of tarama (taramosalata to you greeks)

"yes i'm all lit up again"

Take-out It's gotta be a donair, hold the tomato, add mozz and extra extra sauce. THe only thing to eat when walking home from dountown when I was in university.

Course there was also some dinner I tired to cook while doing shots of silver, I know it was good because there where no leftovers but I almost forgot to turn the carrots on because I was dancing in the kitchen.

It's nice to know I earned something valuable with all that student loan money.

Best Drunken Meal ??????? Am I missing something ? Sounds like a Frat Pledge week :laugh::laugh: If I could remember that detail, I would'nt be drunk no ? and If I'm drunk, all meals taste the best ! :raz:

Edited by anil (log)

anil