• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Drunken Meal

While I was at Tulane, I got completely addicted to cheese fries from The Boot and a slice of greasy pizza from Dino's after drinking all night. I never thought anything could compare until I went to the Dominican Republic on vacation in March. We drank ice cold 1L bottles of Presidente while eating freshly caught lobsters and fish that were grilled right there at this little shack, right on the beach. It's too bad we didn't discover it until the end of the week - I could have spent my entire vacation sitting there in the sand!

I think as a rule that some of the best drunk food can be found in Las Vegas on the strip.

There is nothing better than finishing up your craps game at three in the morning and then feasting on the $.99 foot long hotdog that magically comes with a free beer.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the $6.00 prime rib.

mmmm. That's good eatin'

Jennifer

• 1 month later...

Best Drunken Meal:

At 4am 40 dungeness crab split between three of us in remote coastal

Pacific Northwest camp after hour and a half boat trip through gale

force winds coming back from the bar in town. I told my buddies it wasn't

right to refill the traps with beer cans. They held me over the side.

I think as a rule that some of the best drunk food can be found in Las Vegas on the strip.

There is nothing better than finishing up your craps game at three in the morning and then feasting on the $.99 foot long hotdog that magically comes with a free beer.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the $6.00 prime rib.

mmmm. That's good eatin'

I was in Vegas for a conference, and since I don't gamble, I had to fixate on what was available.

Two things in my hotel:

Since I decided not to reset my body clock to local time, I was up and ready to eat at 5:30, when everybody else seemed to be going to bed. The only things on the menu at the coffeeshop were:

1. bicuits and gravy-the waitress said these were pasty and horrible

2. pancakes and sausage-the waitress said these were awful

3. roast beef sandwich, which I had: a 16 oz steak on a 2x3" piece of bread. With fries. Wow. $5.25.

The other thing that was great was the sparkling wine ("champagne") on tap at the evening buffet.

There should be more sparkling wine on tap.

• 1 year later...

*bump* since this came up on the "3 a.m. party grub" thread I figured I would bump it

Well the best drunken meal(s) I have had

1) dozen west coast oysters (or whatever is fresh) with an order of american sturgeon caviar

3) foie terrine

2)roast bone marrow

4)Pigeon

5) chocalete cake with oozing center

The best part of this meal is you can order it or any of the other great dishes 7 nights a week until 4am at Blue Ribbon 97 sulliven st. NY, NY. Gotta love this city :wink:

P.S. The steak tartare is awesome also

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

*bump* since this came up on the "3 a.m. party grub" thread I figured I would bump it

Well the best drunken meal(s) I have had 

1) dozen west coast oysters (or whatever is fresh) with an order of american sturgeon caviar

3)  foie terrine

2)roast bone marrow

4)Pigeon

5) chocalete cake with oozing center

The best part of this meal is you can order it or any of the other great dishes 7 nights a week until 4am at Blue Ribbon 97 sulliven st. NY, NY. Gotta love this city :wink:

P.S. The steak tartare is awesome also

I have to agree my inebriated binge at Blue Ribbon (with you) was the best and highest class drunken food experience ever. What a great place.

Think they'd franchise to Philly?? :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Usually drinking saps my appetite so I try to eat BEFORE, but I used to make myself something to eat at 3am when I still lived at home with my parents....the most unusual thing had to be the lasagne sandwich which was just a big slab of my mom's lasagne in between slices of white supermarket bread.

A couple of years ago I had the pizza with gravy at House of Georgie here in Ottawa.......it wasn't as bad as it sounds but I definitely wouldn't eat it sober!

If you haven't experienced pizza with gravy it is just a slice of pepperoni pizza with a ladle of gravy poured over (beef? pork? chicken? I have no idea)

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Of course, this was still while intoxicated, so the first mentioned does not count as place I, nor anyone else I know, would eat at sober:

1) Time Out, Chapel Hill, NC - southern-fried goodness served up 27/7, 365 days a year; I was particularly fond of the mashed potatoes with gravey and buttermilk biscuits

Now, at the time, that was delicious. I have also walked 40 min down the train tracks to and from the 24-hr Harris Teeter to get a microwavable chicken pot pie at 4.30 am

I would say the best drunken food I've had that I would also consume sober would be from the shawarma shop outside my metro station, Primorskaya, while living in St. Petersburg, Russia. Nothing tasted better after coming home from the clubs at 8 am. And if I didn't feel like cooking I could always make a quick trip there. Cheap too. About $1.25.

-JM

Edited by Jordan Mendenhall (log)

Can't believe I have only just found this thread!

The traditional British curry has got to be up at number 1 although my formative years more often ended with the cheaper option of chips with curry sauce.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Chips and cheese from the kebab vans, or chips and hummus sometimes - sort of a British poutine. To be eaten while weaving one's way home.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Of course, this was still while intoxicated, so the first mentioned does not count as place I, nor anyone else I know, would eat at sober:

1) Time Out, Chapel Hill, NC - southern-fried goodness served up 27/7, 365 days a year; I was particularly fond of the mashed potatoes with gravey and buttermilk biscuits

-JM

Yes! Chicken, egg and cheese biscuit from Time Out! I just recently had a drunken food orgy there after a show at the cradle--fried okra and mac'n' cheese. YUM!

First time I ate there I woke up smelling like fried chicken the next day, which is better than smelling like a bar.

BUT THE BEST meal I've ever had while intoxicated was at Krispy Kreme, my friend and I were there for your classic Krispy Kreme donut. As we stood in line with the cops and other drunks we eyed donuts that appeared to be KK's with big puffs of whipped cream and a cherry. Looked good to us. We went out side to much on our donuts--they were not whipped cream, but about 3/4 cup of icing--so painfully sweet and we ate every last bite.

DD.

PS. Tabasco slim jims and "roller" ie. a nasty hot dog that rolls around on the grill at a convience store. That is my typical drunken fest and I love it.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I don't know if it counts as a "meal" but:

nothing beats boiled peanuts, and skinny french fries. If I am having a party I always boil up some peanuts and get out the frier to do fries on order. good times.

-JM

Yes! Chicken, egg and cheese biscuit from Time Out! I just recently had a drunken food orgy there after a show at the cradle--fried okra and mac'n' cheese. YUM!

First time I ate there I woke up smelling like fried chicken the next day, which is better than smelling like a bar.

...some of those times after Time Out I woke up smelling like both fried chicken AND the bar...but it's all a normal part of the weekend in CH

BUT THE BEST meal I've ever had while intoxicated was at Krispy Kreme, my friend and I were there for your classic Krispy Kreme donut.  As we stood in line with the cops and other drunks we eyed donuts that appeared to be KK's with big puffs of whipped cream and a cherry. Looked good to us. We went out side to much on our donuts--they were not whipped cream, but about  3/4 cup of icing--so painfully sweet and we ate every last bite.

Have to be careful with Krispy Kreme. I'm original from Winston-Salem so I've had my fair share of times with those things. I love southern food but damn can you put on some weight if you go on a week-long bender. Too much beer + too much late night fried chicken or KK = need to buy larger jeans

DD.

PS. Tabasco slim jims and "roller" ie. a nasty hot dog that rolls around on the grill at a convience store. That is my typical drunken fest and I love it.

Halloween night 1992/3 maybe. Dressed as the bride of frankenstien. We jumped on the train From Ridgewood NJ to NYC with pint of vodka and a pint of blackberry brandy. Arrived in Hoboken and hit the bar in the station, took the Path train to the village and proceeded a Papaya/hot dog place...couple of dogs... then on to hit many bars and drink many things including Dr Magilicuddys [sic] had a couple of slices of pizza and moved on to the Rock n Roll Cafe started drinking for real. I crawled out for a few Shish ka bobs from a street vendor around the time we realized we missed the last train out of Hoboken. One guy wanted to give up and drink some more and one girl HAD to be home soon, so we headed for the bus station. We had by then missed the last bus to Ridgewood. We grabbed some Gyros at Bill's next to Mogli's candy store on the corner by Church's fried chicken ( All gone now :sad: ) and started thinking, yeah right, We split up, 7 of us and started trying to get a cab back to NJ. Someone scored but the poor guy was freaking when we started piling in. We kept calling him Abdule just because he looked Arab...later I saw his tag. His name really was Abdule.

As he dropped us off he asked for directions back to the highway....uh left right straight left look for a sign ok?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

When I was in college in NYC, my apartment was on Mott Street. I remember the ritual of reeling bleary eyed into Hung Fat for hot and sour soup and pork fried rice. Years later in New Orleans, I remember great drunken gumbo at the Copper Kettle (or was it Copper Pot?) in the Quarter.

What's a little hepatitis risk compared to a tasty 3am treat?

This may in fact be the funniest thing I have ever heard.

I work as a purveyor of said 3am treats, in a shop called Frites (serves the same) in Seattle.

Oh, the stories I could tell. . .

Ah...Great thread.

I went to a Catholic uni in Milwaukee and was probably just a few credits shy of a double major in "Drunk Food!" :laugh: I have several "favorites" mostly based on who I was out with.

If I was out with kids from my major (Broadcasters can drink the average buffalo under the table) we always went to a pizza place on campus called Angelo's. The freshmen could get in without problem, and were happy to buy pitchers for us older students. Funny thing about this place, I can't remember anyone EVER ordering the pizza. We always ordered chicken strips which came with ranch and marinara. In my sober times, these were greasy and unpalatable, but the first time I tried them with my alcohol-colored glasses on, I was trying to make up recipes in my head involving chicken, marinara, and ranch dressing. :wacko: Actually, ranch dressing is a big drunk craving of mine, though I rarely eat it sober!

When my girlfriends and I were out, we'd always bum a ride with whoever was sober and head to Denny's. Smothered HashBrowns ensued. Yum!

Drinking at home always meant a call for Jimmy John's subs. One night my roomie and I ordered 2 Sorry Charlie's (awesome tunafish with lots of celery seed), 4 pickles, and 3 loaves of day-old bread which we made into french toast the next morning as hangover food!

Out with the guys, We'd head to either Marquette Gyro and get limp, greasy, salty, heavenly cheese fries and gyros or down Wisconsin Ave. to Michael's and feast on giant 4-egg omelettes. We always tried to out-do each other with topping choices. The person that outdid everyone else didn't have to pay. One night I won with pineapple, ham, green olives, extra onions, and apricot jelly. I KNOW that would never have been consumed sober!

Ah, for a college student's metabolism again! :raz:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini