• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite California Chard

docsconz

We've seen an interesting array of favorite Calcabs, but how about calchards? They have been much disparaged and often rightfully so, but while many are wood in a glass, some are remarkably delicious. For me the two most consistently enjoyable chard producers in California (that I can get a hold of anyway) are Kistler and Pahlmeyer. I've had a number of bottlings of these producers over many occasions and they have never failed me as deep, complex and delightful wines. While they are not necessarily the most food friendly wines they do pair well with chicken and robust seafood. The Kistler Cuvee Cathleen is a particular favorite of mine

Other bottles that stand out in memory are Marcassin (the 1994 Gauer Ranch might be the single most amazing calchard I've ever tasted) and Peter Michael, however, I've not had enough of either to have a definite opinion over time.

Any others?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I haven't had lots of experience with high-end Calchard, although the Grgich Hills I had a while back stands out as a clear favorite. Recently we picked up on closeout several bottles of Sebastiani Dutton Ranch that were mighty tasty.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Kongsgaard. I believe the '99 is the only vintage I've tasted. But I was utterly floored by this.

Agreed on the Marcassin Gauer Ranch. Great great wine. (I've had '95 and '99 I think)

There's a lot of good ones, but not a lot of great ones in my opinion.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Ramey 2000 Hyde Vineyard. The finish was like one of those dreams that are so good you feel yourself waking up and the conscious and sub conscious are having a war...."come on let me kiss him one more time...." then you wake up and your goddamned dog is on the bed looking at you like you are crazy. With the Ramey- there is no waking up.

over it

Agreed - the Ramey is delicious! So is Arrowood, and even their second label - The Grand Archer is a great value for the quality. If you're a big-assed oakey fan then the ZD is right up your alley. So's the Clos Pegase but I'd rather eat toothpicks. Chateau Montelena is consistently good as well. Just today I tried the Franciscan "Cuvee Sauvage" and really liked it. Fermented with wild yeasts, no filtration of fining, etc. Tasty and rich. And you can dance to it...I'll give it an 88. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

California Chards have to be broken into two groups: those that go with food and those that don't. My favorite food chards are:

Stony Hill

Forman

Grgich Hills

Mayacamas

Hyde de Villaine

Nickel & Nickel "John's Creek Vineyard"

My favorite "drink me because I'm delicious" chards are:

Kongsgaard

Paul Hobbs "Agustina"

Pahlmeyer

Journey

Ovation

Landmark "Overlook"

Ramey "Hyde Vineyard"

The first group are either non-malolactic or semi-malolactic fermented chards. The second group are full blown full malo full oak treatment giant chardonnays. I drink the former as accompaniments and the latter as cocktails.

Mark

The first group are either non-malolactic or semi-malolactic fermented chards. The second group are full blown full malo full oak treatment giant chardonnays. I drink the former as accompaniments and the latter as cocktails.

I concur. Itend to serve the Kistlers or Pahlmeyers as openers to dinner parties rather than accompniments to courses, although it is not impossible to match them.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I concur. Itend to serve the Kistlers or Pahlmeyers as openers to dinner parties rather than accompniments to courses, although it is not impossible to match them.

Yeah. A big-ass lobster with lots of drawn butter. :biggrin:

Mark

The "best" chard. in the world is Gallo:

In addition to its already impressive roster of prestigious awards, Gallo of Sonoma Winery's 1998 Estate Bottled Chardonnay was awarded the "Mission Hill Trophy for Best Chardonnay Worldwide" by the International Wine & Spirit Competition, London's oldest and most respected wine judging.

press release

Guess they'll just have to plant apples in Montrachet.

Someone once told me that Montelena actually tastes like wine and not California chard., but I've never found the opportunity to try it.

I'm not ashamed to say I quite like California chardonnay and don't even mind a little oak and malolactic from time to time. That said, I concur with the mentions of Forman, the Kistlers, even the always reliable Grgich.

But there's one (new to me this year) that just blew me away...2002 Novy Santa Lucia Highlands Chardonnay.

Novy, as most know, is from Siduri, the makers of terrific pinot noir. It is, sadly, probably already gone and was a mailing list item. I DO see occasional Siduri bottles at better retailers and, more often, in better restaurants. If you see this chardonnay, do not hesitate; order it or buy it. At about $15 from the winery, it was almost "criminal" to get it.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

One of my favs is Marimar Torres' Chard from Green Valley/RR.

Although I no longer sell them I still have a few bottles left in the cellar. The beauty is they AGE, unlike many of the wines mentioned above.

I have tried many of the Big Guns mentioned above and they don't seem to have the balance I search for in a Chard.

IMHO, of course.

I have never met a miserly wine lover

One of my favs is Marimar Torres' Chard from Green Valley/RR.

Although I no longer sell them I still have a few bottles left in the cellar. The beauty is they AGE, unlike many of the wines mentioned above.

I have tried many of the Big Guns mentioned above and they don't seem to have the balance I search for in a Chard.

IMHO, of course.

Stony Hill is the most famous of the age-worthy CalChards.

Mark

Agree on the Miramar Torres, always felt it to be good QPR.

A note for Gordon Cooks... the Pahlmeyer (very big, buttery, oaky) was noteworthy as the wine Demi Moore sent an assistant out to buy in the film DISCLOSURE when she was about to try and seduce/sexually harrass Michael Douglas. Everybody in Hollywood just had to have it/rave about it/be seen drinking or serving it.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

A note for Gordon Cooks... the Pahlmeyer (very big, buttery, oaky) was noteworthy as the wine Demi Moore sent an assistant out to buy in the film DISCLOSURE when she was about to try and seduce/sexually harrass Michael Douglas.  Everybody in Hollywood just had to have it/rave about it/be seen drinking or serving it.

This is true, but it is good, despite that.

Twitter - @docsconz

Someone once told me that Montelena actually tastes like wine and not California chard., but I've never found the opportunity to try it.

The Ch. Montelena Chard does indeed taste like wine- Chardonnay wine as a matter of fact (if you don't define Chardonnay as butter, figs, and vanilla). I'm pretty sure they do no malo, there's some oak but with the crispness it's pretty well-integrated. And the Montelena can last a bit.

On the cheap side, I liked a Santa Barbara called Zaca Mesa. Think it was also non-malo.

Note to docsconz...

I agree about Pahlmeyer being quite enjoyable; did not intend to suggest otherwise. I simply recalled the time with amusement. Only "negative" I'd have about the Pahlmeyer chardonnays is that they've never been "good QPR". Pity but true of all Pahlmeyers from day one (I recall buying that first year of the meritage and thinking that it was as expensive as Opus One... a BIG DEAL then.).

Bob Sherwood

- M.F.K. Fisher

Note to docsconz...

I agree about Pahlmeyer being quite enjoyable; did not intend to suggest otherwise.  I simply recalled the time with amusement.  Only "negative" I'd have about the Pahlmeyer chardonnays is that they've never been "good QPR".  Pity but true of all Pahlmeyers from day one (I recall buying that first year of the meritage and thinking that it was as expensive as Opus One... a BIG DEAL then.).

Pahlmeyer wines are always one thing: EXPENSIVE

Mark

Pahlmeyer wines are expensive, but no more so than other wines in their class (I would say less than many at least for the reds). As far as QPR, that is probably true for most wines in the upper echelons of price. While most of these are better than their lower priced brethren, many are not that much better. The question becomes how much more is one willing to spend for additional quality (at least partially subjective)? If finances are tight "value" becomes a much more important consideration. Expensive wines of perceived better quality sell because finances must not be that tight for at least a certain number of people to support that market. I like Pahlmeyer a lot and can get it at what I perceive to be a reasonable price for its level of quality so I buy enough that I can have it from time to time. The same is true for Kistler. Unfortunately, I do not have similar access to Marcassin. I also like and am happy to buy less expensive wines especially in restaurants :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz