• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I can't bear to watch Rick Stein any more

Truth is, practically all the chefs on the telly make me feel vaguely ill. But after tonight, I realise what it is I can't bear about Rick Stein. I know he's probably doing a good job, publicising small producers of interesting foods. I know the show includes some lovely countryside. I know his dog is cute.

But I can't stand the grinning and gurning, the tittering and sniggering, the constant, repetitious giggling and feeble laugh. He does it all through the programme, for no good reason. Whatever he says, its accompanied by a weedy grin and an almost breathless cackle. Its like being (over) exposed to an adolescent boychild.

One day, this man may just chortle himself to death.

The problem with Rick Stein is that he is being used as some BBC dummy. The current programme is a plagurised version of Henrietta Green's valuable work. I really don't think that Rick Stein is terribly bothered by the local heros that he comes across - it was not his idea for a programme, and appears not to be his idea of fun. I saw the first programme of the new series and knawed half my arm of in boredom. And why does he always wear that navy blue ralph lauren shirt. He seems to wear it for every shoot ...

I think all TV chefs become a caricature of their initial TV personas over time, which is one of the reasons they should really only do a couple of series.

They are not trained performers, but learn on the job. They therefore have no technique to fall back on, and instead compile a series physical and vocal mannerisms which they come to rely on and trot out in front of the camera over and over again. So you have neither a polished performance, nor the "real" person that one hopes is still there beneath all the accumulated artifice.

Having said that, I find Stein quite watchable and particularly enjoyed his straight to camera pieces, especially the one about Matthew Fort's hairy brawn.

I think it is wrong headed to suggest food heros plagiarises Henrietta Greens work. Chefs and writers have championed artisan suppliers for many years. Matthew Forts book with Paul Heathcote includes articles about the chef's suppliers for example. The Rankin's Gourmet Ireland TV series included a number of filmed sequences spotlighting Irish artisan food producers.

I don't think its an idea that can really be claimed by any one person. In addition Henrietta Green is not a broadcaster, but a writer of guides and cookbooks and is a pioneer of farmers markets in the UK, which is really quite different from what Stein is doing with this series. In fact, iwouldn't be surprised to see her pop up in a future programme.

I saw a fantastic old programme with Keith Floyd the other day. He was in a Portugese(?) Mens Cooking Club. THey cooked amd ate and sang together and it looked fantastic.

I still think that Floyd was masterly in his irreverance and intolerance of BS. Stein was only brought in as a tamer replacement for Floyd and frankly was all the weaker for not being the real thing.

Does anyone know more about this club? Where it is? What it is called? Do they allow guests to join them under usual circumstances?

I saw a fantastic old programme with Keith Floyd the other day. He was in a Portugese(?) Mens Cooking Club. THey cooked amd ate and sang together and it looked fantastic.

Mostly likely Basque (or possibly some other part of Spain). I've never heard of that sort of club in Portugal, but you never know ...

Chloe

north Portugal

No but was a fovourite of mine. In this one he cooked Rabbit with bits of ham (sic) and onions, peppers etc. And he was, of course, half pissed by the time the onions had softened.

I've just re-read Floyd's autobiography and he has few redeeming features but I just know that he loves food. Whereas Rick Stein reminds me of John Major trying to be convincing.

Was the Floyd one where they were eating some illegal food (full baby bird) and the put towels over their heads so they could slobber while eating and no one could see?

i think they're called ortolan, i remember reading stuff about it on here but i'm so technically challenged i can't do the "click on here and here's the thread" thing.

did they really show that on tv? i thought it was illegal as the birds are endangered?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I think it is wrong headed to suggest food heros plagiarises Henrietta Greens work. Chefs and writers have championed artisan suppliers for many years. Matthew Forts book with Paul Heathcote includes articles about the chef's suppliers for example. The Rankin's Gourmet Ireland TV series included a number of filmed sequences spotlighting Irish artisan food producers.

I don't think its an idea that can really be claimed by any one person. In addition Henrietta Green is not a broadcaster, but a writer of guides and cookbooks and is a pioneer of farmers markets in the UK, which is really quite different from what Stein is doing with this series. In fact, iwouldn't be surprised to see her pop up in a future programme.

I'm not sure about ripping off Henrietta Green's work, although you would be an idiot not to use all of her invaluble research if you were producing the show. Stein annoys me slightly due to his style and mis-information, but what I have found slightly disturbing about this show is that I know of at least one artisan producer that was recommended by the series that has never heard from Stein or anybody connected with the show. This suggests that the show is a little cobbled together, which is a real shame as it could have been a really good show. But they went with Whiny-Steiny instead.

Was the Floyd one where they were eating some illegal food (full baby bird) and the put towels over their heads so they could slobber while eating and no one could see?

i think they're called ortolan, i remember reading stuff about it on here but i'm so technically challenged i can't do the "click on here and here's the thread" thing.

did they really show that on tv? i thought it was illegal as the birds are endangered?

Illegal to sell, not to eat. A restuarant can make a 'gift' of it to you (and charge you more for the wine I assume).

Well, Basildog, I'd like to think that at one time, hypocrisy of that sort (saying how dreadful automated phone answering systems are, when he's got one at his own flagship restaurant) would have damaged someone's credibility and led to a period of quiet reflection and the avoidance of further exposure to the public.

But not any more - it's just an example of the debauched state of British telly, where people will grab an appearance fee in return for saying whatever's held up in front of them on idiot boards. The telly people don't care about honesty or internal consistency - they believe we are mindless idiots.

They hold us in contempt, and will continue to spoonfeed us with their processed, flavourless claptrap, because we don't protest loudly about it and perhaps because even if we did, the bulletin boards of the BBC website won't allow such criticisms to remain in the public view. They whitewash any protest.

retirement_beckons, have you actually looked at a BBC messageboard? Try looking at Saturday Kitchen's (especially the comments about AWT) and then come back and say 'They whitewash any protest'. Do you speak from experience - have you ever had your protests whitewashed - or are you just assuming it's Stalinist?

Rick was on a show on UK TV called "Grumpy Old Men" tonight.One of his moans was automated phone systems ie "press one for sales, etc etc"....try calling the Seafood Restaurant and see what answers...a fucking automated system.

My Wife, for reasons I don't understand, has always wanted to go to the seafood restaurant. Despite his cooking leaving me cold, based on recipes and insufferably smug tv presenting, I rang to try and attempt a booking. Now I appreciate it may be very busy, but I suggested a date (saturday night) about 2 months in advance, to which I was told no. I then suggested another saturday night further on, again no, yet again I was recommend to their cafe. By this point I'm not impressed, but perhaps they really are busy, so i ask politely if they could tell me when i could get a table on a saturday night.

No. F*cking NO - how dare they. this is the polite summary of my thoughts, they were not able to tell me this information (why the #### not), perhaps I could suggest another date. Anyway, I did explain that I thought this was very poor, and that I no longer wished to visit their restaurant.

In short Basildog, the separation of Mr Stein and reality that you speak of, surprises me not in the least.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

retirement_beckons, have you actually looked at a BBC messageboard?

Monkeyman, do you have a connection with the BBC? Do you work as a moderator on their boards? Or are you a regular contributor? How do you think the BBC boards compare with eGullet.

The current programme is a plagurised version of Henrietta Green's valuable work.

you know, word came to me via a very reliable source that when green was writing her first food lovers guide she never went to half the places she reported on (just called around and had stuff sent, and in fact, didn't step north of the border though scotland was included on her catchment area.

i don't know about subsequent books as my source quit the job around this time. as for her showing up on one of rick steins programmes, i've seen green on television before and to be kind, its not her media though she did spend a bit of time doing radio in the nineties (as was and do i) ................and everyone admitted that she did wake up early in the morning even when no one else wanted to, so she was reliable and a sport in that regard.

has anyone ever seen how she treats people? shes famous for it though i accept the fact that she would not be able to act nastily on television as it wouldn't be in her interests..........

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Rick was on a show on UK TV called "Grumpy Old Men" tonight.One of his moans was automated phone systems ie "press one for sales, etc etc"....try calling the Seafood Restaurant and see what answers...a fucking automated system.

My Wife, for reasons I don't understand, has always wanted to go to the seafood restaurant. Despite his cooking leaving me cold, based on recipes and insufferably smug tv presenting, I rang to try and attempt a booking. Now I appreciate it may be very busy, but I suggested a date (saturday night) about 2 months in advance, to which I was told no. I then suggested another saturday night further on, again no, yet again I was recommend to their cafe.

I went through a similar procedure recently. It turns out that the Seafood Restaurant has quite a decent automated system online for booking their accomodation, but of course that isn't linked to their restaurant, so you still have to run the gauntlet of their telephone booking for the restaurant.

I managed to wear them down by asking about a long list of dates: Friday, Saturday, Sunday on a particular weekend, no good, how about Friday, Saturday or Sunday on the weekend following... If its going to be hard for customers to book with them, I'll at least make them work for their money.

By comparison, booking at Margot's was really easy. The phone was answered promptly and politely. By a human no less. Thank you.

Anyway, we're off for a weekend in Padstow in a week's time, so I'll be able to report back on how both Margot's and the other place treat you when you eventually get there. Oh, and after saying that the online accomodation booking is quite slick, they didn't actually have any rooms for the weekend when they had a table, so we're staying in the Metropole. (DB&B because that was the best rate we could find, but we'll skip their D!)

It turns out that the Seafood Restaurant has quite a decent automated system online for booking their accomodation, but of course that isn't linked to their restaurant, so you still have to run the gauntlet of their telephone booking for the restaurant.

I managed to wear them down by asking about a long list of dates: Friday, Saturday, Sunday on a particular weekend, no good, how about Friday, Saturday or Sunday on the weekend following... If its going to be hard for customers to book with them, I'll at least make them work for their money.

Duncan,

I'm glad you managed some success, but why should you have to go through that palaver?

i mean, for #### sakes, why can't they tell me when I can come?

I just get worried when people show so little regard for the customer, if booking with them is a privilege - how do they rate actually eating there?

incidentally this was the 2nd time I tried to book, the first time I gave up much earlier.

Hope it does go well for you however, and will look forward to hearing about it. 'cause I ain't ever going to go :rolleyes:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

• 3 weeks later...
Anyway, we're off for a weekend in Padstow in a week's time, so I'll be able to report back on how both Margot's and the other place treat you when you eventually get there. Oh, and after saying that the online accomodation booking is quite slick, they didn't actually have any rooms for the weekend when they had a table, so we're staying in the Metropole. (DB&B because that was the best rate we could find, but we'll skip their D!)

I said I would report back on how our weekend in Padstow went. Mostly it was very good.

We went to the Seafood Restaurant on Friday evening, and Judy and I both had their tasting menu which that evening comprised oysters served with spicy sausages; skate wing 'with the sunny and aromatic flavours of Morocco'; scallops in coriander and hazlenut butter; sea bass with a tomato, butter and vanilla vinaigrette; passion fruit pavlova & coffee. We had a bottle of white Chateau de Cazeneuve to accompany this. The wine was suggested by the waiter and was a good choice.

Judy isn't too keen on leaf coriander, so she wasn't too happy when it turned out to be one of the 'flavours' on the skate, however it was just scattered on top so was easily removable. The scallops on the other hand had loads of coriander, but very little taste of it (the butter had been grilled to melt over the scallops which I think killed the coriander although it brought out the hazlenut flavour).

The sea bass had a wonderful aroma of vanilla, although strangely again it didn't come through for me in the taste, except for the pieces of tomato.

All told, a very nice meal. Service was mostly good, though we had to ask twice for the bill.

Margot's is of course very different. Much smaller and more personal. Toy tortoises on the tables. I won't list exactly what we had, because I wasn't taking notes and we didn't take a copy of the menu away with us. For main course I had skate, this time served with a caper/anchovy/parsley/garlic sauce, so that gives me something to compare directly, but all I can say is both restaurants are capable of cooking a nice bit of skate. The main course in Margot's was of course several times bigger than the 'tasting menu' piece, and Judy was a bit concerned that I seemed to be finding it hard to finish. I did manage a nice poached pear with plum compote for afters though.