• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Los Angeles (and environs)

SWoodyWhite

I've mentioned elsewhere that, after living my entire life (50 years so far) in the Los Angeles area, the last 20 in Long Beach, I'll be moving within a month to Delaware. For this reason, my partner and I have been talking about the places we haven't been, which we might want to visit before we leave.

He, for instance, has never been to Universal Studios. Heck, the only time I've gone there was soon after they opened, long before they even included Bruce the Shark as part of the tram ride, so that counts as something we both haven't "done." I've suggested we go to Musso and Frank's, as much because a friend of ours loves the place as because it's a classic Los Angeles restaurant.

There's no way we'd be able to fit every suggestion into our schedule, not with packing and getting two dogs fixed and everything else that we have to get done. But, hypothetically, what places "should" we try to work in, the sort of places that long-time residents seem to never get around to trying? I'm not talking tourist traps (although Universal Studios certainly counts as such); I'm talking about Classic Los Angeles.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Another native [northern] Californian here. I'm trying to make an effort to see all of the missions, they're a unique part of our history.

One last trip up to Yosemite, perhaps? Hearts Castle? A fall drive up to Big Sur/ the Santa Barbara coast?

PS Believe it or not, I've never, ever been to Disneyland!

Looks like Food Zealot's link covers the waterfront. OTOH, are there places today that will be considered classics tomorrow? Spago, etc. Also, hope you go to the Watts Towers if you've never been.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

SWoody, I wish you the best. My partner and I did something similar last winter except that instead of moving from one side of the country to another, we simply moved from the bottom half of the state to the top half of the state. It was still far away enough to incorporate the nostalgia factor as we started heading to all the places we know we would never go again (I mean, when/if I head to SoCal, it ain't gonna be to go to Disneyland...)

Coincidentally, we DID go to Musso & Frank's as I had never been there (I ordered the classic martini, steak, and caesar salad...) We also went to L'Orangerie. Knowing I was moving to another exceptional culinary city, I was not too concerned about missing too much in the way of food. Then it dawned on me - no more great Mexican food, Fatburger, or Versailles!

So, my last few weeks in L.A. were spent at museums (Getty, Norton Simon, LACMA, and Bowers), walking Melrose, Hollywood Boulevard, and Belmont Shore, seeing a movie at they Egyptian, having fresh oysters at the Redondo Beach Harbor, and eating tons and tons of Versailles' Cuban pork and Rubio's fish tacos.

Best of luck to you!

Best of luck with your big move. Wow!

How about Taylor's? Along the same lines as Musso & Frank's, but a little off the beaten path.

Matsuhisa would be a good spot to bis farwell to that great LA sushi.

I would have to have a goodbye drink at Shutters, too.

In terms of classics of tomorrow, I think Campanile will rate--so good, year after year, and with a distinct point of view.

If you haven't yet had the opportunity to do so, you should take LA's own rail system to some of the places you mentioned. Take the Blue Line up from Long Beach and then you've got easy connections to Universal Studios, Musso's in Hollywood, Langers and Phillipes. You'll have a great time and you can let all those folks elsewhere know that we really do have transit in LA. If you're a transit-phobe or neo-phyte, PM me and I'll talk you through the details.

Other thoughts:

I'd get some great Korean food.

Go to some of the classic places here that have their role in the US food revolution. Besides Spago, I'd think about Michel Richard for pastry (is he still around?), Angeli Cafe for Evan Kleiman fare, La Brea Bakery next to and part of Campanile (Nancy Silverton rules!), and one of the Milliken/Feniger places.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

SWoody: So you're in Long Beach? Me too. So, keeping things close to home in order to save you on travel time, hope you've done Open Sesame for Chicken Schwarma (in the Shore); Taco Loco for tripas tacos (recommendation courtesy of Russ Parsons) on Magnolia betw. Anaheim and PCH; Aroma di Roma for coffee/panini/gelato (I'll be happy to meet you there anytime before you go) on Second St betw. Pomona and Santa Ana. And go feed the koi at the Japanese Garden at Cal State LB. They are awesome.

Hope we run into each other before you depart!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Another native [northern] Californian here. I'm trying to make an effort to see all of the missions, they're a unique part of our history.

One last trip up to Yosemite, perhaps? Hearts Castle? A fall drive up to Big Sur/ the Santa Barbara coast?

PS Believe it or not, I've never, ever been to Disneyland!

I'm lucky, because when I was growing up my father made a point of exploring the state with the family on every vacation. I've been to most every mission, as a result, along with trips to the vineyards of Napa and the gold mines of the Sierra Nevada. I've even climbed Mount Lassen.

Disneyland? Been there, done that, ever since the first year it opened! The Witch in the Snow White dark ride scared the heck out of me (I'm made of stearner stuff now).

Strangely, it wasn't until Bruce and I joined together that I made it to Hearst's Castle. It was a side-trip during a political conference. A member of Log Cabin, who worked there, gave us a more personalized tour than many guests get. We went to the Getty Museum for a similar reason: the board of a theater company Bruce was serving upon held a weekend retreat there, and a tour was part of the package.

Unfortunately, we're not in a position right now for any long trips until the BIG one, mainly because of the dogs. Moving the three we owned was going to be hard enough, but a couple of weeks ago a pair of enchanting mutt pups were abandoned in our neighborhood and the family grew! That's why we want to make sure the new family members get fixed before we move - we simply want the work done by a vet we trust.

Now, what else? I'm highly familiar with the Blue Line light rail system, and the Red Line subway, since I used them daily to get to work before I retired. The Watts Towers were a regular landmark on my commute. We've also made the mistake of going to the Music Center for theater, expecting the Red Line to still be running when we got out. It wasn't. Fortunately, we had the cash for cab fare to the Blue Line connection home!

Mexican food? I'm already looking up sources for tomatillos on the East Coast, so I can make my own salsa verde. I do know I'm going to miss the avocado tree in our back yard, even if most of the fruit was eaten by the dogs, contributing to their glossy coats. And I will miss the jacaranda trees exploding with purple blossoms.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far!

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

The Watts Towers were a regular landmark on my commute.

Sounds like you've done most everything. The Towers, however, are more than a drive by thing. You should actually get out and go on the tour which explains all about em and take some photos. They may not be there forever.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I know I always like a nice dinner at the Queen Mary and then strolling around the decks holding hands with my wife...its kinda touristy but really is a nice evening.

Are the Avatar's still down? Can't seem to upload one

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective