• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food of The Gilmore Girls

corvus

Yes they have a chef or something write the food part - but the show in general is written very well. They certainly have very snappy conversations and lots of "people" mentioned that I have never heard of and actually looked a couple of them up and it made more sense to me after I knew who the person was - good show

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bump this back up.

For those of you who have watched ( and loved :wub:0 this show as much as I have, just wanted to let you know. The final episode will air on May 15th. I am assuming ( although I haven't read as such) that there is one more episode before that one this coming Tuesday , May 8th as well.

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Bummer.... but thanks for the heads up so that I make sure I don't miss the last two episodes. I wonder if the food stuff will be prominent in the last two episodes b/c they'll have a lot of things to wrap up, etc.

I was already looking forward to all the CA/SF food angles if Rorie got married and moved to SF.

:sad::sad::sad:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

There's some information about the series finale on TV Squad.

The show had a good run -- seven seasons -- and looking back I think the food references in those seven years were about more than just clever writing. Rather, they reflected the fact that food culture has gone mainstream in the US. I think as we see more food references in general on mainstream shows, Gilmore Girls will be seen as part of a progression, rather than as the anomaly we may have thought it was back in 2003 when this topic started.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I didn't realize this show ran for 7 years. I have never seen it before but it will start being broadcast in Japan later this month. I guess I will have a new show to be addicted to...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I didn't realize this show ran for 7 years. I have never seen it before but it will start being broadcast in Japan later this month. I guess I will have a new show to be addicted to...

I've loved Gilmore Girls since the time I caught a brief part of it -- the toaster was broken, and Lorelei was beside herself at the thought of eating cold Pop Tarts. :laugh:

Season Six was disappointing -- Lorelei ate escargot, instead of playing with them and making snail trail jokes. And Rory drank tea.

I'm going to miss this show. I always loved the main characters eating whatever and whenever they wanted, without a comment about their weight or waistlines. The only time I remember nutrition being discussed was when Lorelei knew she was pregnant because she ate an apple.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

• 2 weeks later...

How fitting, and touching, that the series finale concludes with a private 5am breakfast at Luke's diner for Rory and Lorelai. You know it's good stuff if I get teary. I'll miss the show. It had its ups and downs quality-wise, and sadly it ended on a down-ish year, but it was still some of the best writing (and acting) on television. I just went back through this topic and was amazed at some of the vocabulary used on the show: "Alain Ducasse," "bouquet garni" -- you just don't get that on CSI: Miami.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)