• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butternut Squash

Pumpkin Lover

I live in a dorm room and I've kept some squashes under my bed. They're currently wrapped up in plastic bags, and I just opened one of the bags to check on my oldest squash, bought about a month ago. It smelled very strongly... like dirt. Like the smell I last smelled when I forgot to wash out a container that had held tuna and turned fungus-y on me.

So I'm wonderin' - does squash get old and moldy? Even after only a month after purchase? And how should I properly store it? I hope that all I'm smelling is fresh farm dirt, but if there are buggers in my squash, then... no soup for me. :sad: - Jayanthi

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

Butternut squash are "Summer" squash, Pumpkins are "Winter" squash. Basically you can store one easily over the winter, the other not so much. To store them well they do well when bedded down on something soft (like straw) in a place where air can circulate around them.

It could be that you have the wrong type of squash and the wrong storage conditions. After prolonged storage Butternuts often go wrinkly, especially if they are not of the first water. I would cut one open and see how they are going. If they are on the turn, start making soup.

I live in a dorm room and I've kept some squashes under my bed.

:blink: This may be the most bizarre sentence I've ever read. :blink:

Dude, you're in college. Keep a couple of coeds under there, or at least a bag of weed!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Butternut squash are "Summer" squash, Pumpkins are "Winter" squash.

Tilt.

Butternut squash are "winter" squash, thus, long keepers. But don't store them in plastic, as others have pointed out.

If they HAVE gone funky on you, it's a perfect opportunity to try butterCUP squash instead. Like candy. Only better.

Butternut squash are "winter" squash, thus, long keepers. But don't store them in plastic, as others have pointed out.

If they HAVE gone funky on you, it's a perfect opportunity to try butterCUP squash instead. Like candy. Only better.

Yup, it's the plastic that's doing it - and they are winter squash, along with buttercup, which I also think are tastier, sweeter.

Dude, you're in college. Keep a couple of coeds under there, or at least a bag of weed!

Heh heh heh. I think my boyfriend might have a problem w/that. ;-)

My bed is pretty high, and I store a lot of stuff underneath it. It's dark, and I like to think it's cool down there. Is that a good condition for 'em?

They haven't gone soggy yet, so I think I'll wash them off, squeeze them to see how they are, and just use them up ASAP.

Kate, we do have a kitchen in our dorm - it's really great.

Kristin, I have an obsession with butternut squash. I had butternut squash soup twice last year, and became obsessed, so about a month ago, I roasted some squash and veggies and threw the lot in a blender. I froze some for my fam and man, and it was a hit. I'm looking for more time (soon, I hope) to make a huge batch for myself.

::crosses fingers and prepares to wash squash:: - Jayanthi

*EDIT AND UPDATE*

Eh. I had three two pound squashes and all were smelly. They didn't set me back too much, so I'm not sad.

I bought the squashes at my local greenmarket, one that's set up right outside 115th and Broadway (NYC). This particular greenmarket hasn't had the squash for a few weeks, however. Anyone got a good connection w/a greenmarket that's still selling this squash? I ran away with a four-pounder when I first bought squash, and it was perfect for mah soup.

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

Butternut squash are "Summer" squash, Pumpkins are "Winter" squash.

Tilt.

Quite right, Butternuts are winter squash, they jumped into the summer squash cmp in my head because they don't store very well in comparison to other pumpkins. In the UK supermarket butternuts store for about three weeks.

Here's a most excellent thing to do w/butternut or acorn squash--totally brainless and is pretty much a meal in itself:

Cut (either in half lengthwise, or just cut off the top and a thin slice off the bottom (so it can sit upright in a baking dish) 'em, scoop out the guts, put a little oil or butter on there, and bake until fairly tender.

Pull 'em out, then stuff them with the following mixture:

Cottage cheese

Gruyere, Emmenthal, or other good melting cheese

Chopped onion

Chopped apple (tart is best--granny smith or something)

Raisins

Cinnamon

Stick them back in the oven until everything is warm and sweet. Mmmmmmm.

Edited by agnolottigirl (log)

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I live in a dorm room and I've kept some squashes under my bed. They're currently wrapped up in plastic bags, and I just opened one of the bags to check on my oldest squash, bought about a month ago. It smelled very strongly...

thank god it wasn't a durian :wacko:

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"