• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sichuan Peppercorn

jhlurie

I can't believe that we are still talking about food at midnight.

And Mr. Perlow, please fix the time for posting records. I think the time is not matching my watch.

Thanks!

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Qing:
If you want to fix the time of your posts, here is the way to do it:
1) From any forum page, click on "My Controls" (near the upper-right corner, above the Google search bar)...

2)On the controls page, click on "Board Settings" in the Options section (far left side, down toward the bottom of the column)

3) From the Board settings page, select the correct time zone for your location.

(You can also click on the Board Settings like from this Personal Message area, I think.)

Thank you all!!!

Let's enjoy life, now!

• 2 weeks later...
I may have located a source for Sichuan peppercorns - Buffalo Creek Spices.  They sell spices in relatively large bulk volumes (pound), and they have the following:

PepperCorns

Whole, Sichuan-Sold by the pound

for $8.01/pound.  Shipping is a reasonable $4.00.

Has anyone tried this source??

I purchased a pound from Buffalo Creek and received them last week. Good "buzz" and numbing taste. I would suggest that people consider this as a source if you have no other options. (a pound is a LOT of peppercorns! :wink: )

I purchased a pound from Buffalo Creek and received them last week.  Good "buzz" and numbing taste.  I would suggest that people consider this as a source if you have no other options. (a pound is a LOT of peppercorns!  :wink: )

Wow, I think this is the best price for these I have seen yet. I might have to give them a try. Thanks for the tip.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

What is the best way to store these for maximum flavor protection? Is refrigerating or freezing ok?

Elie

edit to fix typo

I think it does not need to be freezed or refigerated. Like other kinds of spices, you'd better wrap it well, keep it in dry condition, and finish it as soon as possible.

Storing time is the most important consideration.

Let's enjoy life, now!

I think it does not need to be freezed or refigerated. Like other kinds of spices, you'd better wrap it well, keep it in dry condition, and finish it as soon as possible.

Storing time is the most important consideration.

While I will agree that storing time is important, ALL spices suffer from two distinct forms of flavor degradation. The first is the loss of some of the volatile essential oils that give the spice its flavor and the second is the slow process of oxidation mediated by the moisture in the air.

The best approach for storage of nearly all aromatic spices is the same - package them well to seal out the air and moisture and then keep that package as cold as possible. Small, glass jars with TIGHT fitting lids that are kept in the coldest part of the storage freezer will prolong the life of most aromatic spices ten-fold.

Vince

Edited by Vince (log)

The best approach for storage of nearly all aromatic spices is the same - package them well to seal out the air and moisture and then keep that package as cold as possible. Small, glass jars with TIGHT fitting lids that are kept in the coldest part of the storage freezer will prolong the life of most aromatic spices ten-fold.

I do that to many of my spices and spice mixes, since I ordered a whole pound of these peppercorns I wanted to be sure this is ok to do. Thanks.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved my package from Buffalo Creek last week. They are very good, I could smell them before I even opened the box. They have a great spicy/numbing effect once you bite into them.

However, I was walking through the spice isle in my local mega Asian store today where before I was told that I cannot buy Sichuan peppercorns because of the FDA ban and lord and behold, they have them now. They even have two brands both made in China and both very fragrant. Although, nowhere on the bag does it say Sichuan peppercorns, only "dried peppercorns". So, what's the story? Is tha ban lifted (I heard rumors of that)? Or did the store simply decide to start selling them again under a new name???

Anyone has info on this?

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I recieved my package from Buffalo Creek last week. They are very good, I could smell them before I even opened the box. They have a great spicy/numbing effect once you bite into them.

However, I was walking through the spice isle in my local mega Asian store today where before I was told that I cannot buy Sichuan peppercorns because of the FDA ban and lord and behold, they have them now. They even have two brands both made in China and both very fragrant. Although, nowhere on the bag does it say Sichuan peppercorns, only "dried peppercorns". So, what's the story? Is tha ban lifted (I heard rumors of that)? Or did the store simply decide to start selling them again under a new name???

Anyone has info on this?

Elie

Thanks for the feedback on Buffalo Creek.

BTW, what part of the US do you live? I have yet to find any Sichuan Peppercorns in any of the local Asian markets here in the the Northern Virginia area. But perhaps it is time to look again.

Thanks for the feedback on Buffalo Creek.

BTW, what part of the US do you live?  I have yet to find any Sichuan Peppercorns in any of the local Asian markets here in the the Northern Virginia area.  But perhaps it is time to look again.

I'm in Houston, Tx.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I'm in Houston, Tx.

I found them at Hong Kong Market, on Bellaire and Boon. It is at least a 30 minute drive from Spec's on smith street.

I wish I had checked there before paying extra for the ones I got online. I just did not think they would have them.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

...I was walking through the spice isle in my local mega Asian store today where before I was told that I cannot buy Sichuan peppercorns because of the FDA ban and lord and behold, they have them now. They even have two brands both made in China and both very fragrant. Although, nowhere on the bag does it say Sichuan peppercorns, only "dried peppercorns". So, what's the story? Is tha ban lifted (I heard rumors of that)? Or did the store simply decide to start selling them again under a new name???

Anyone has info on this?

Elie

Adriana's Caravan has a little blurb in the product description fo Szechuan Peppercorns that as of September 2004 they were allowed to legally sell them online. It looks like, yes, the ban is kinda sorta lifted. The price you paid for them at Buffalo Creek Spices seems to be the best I've seen online though I'm sure they're cheaper in your local Asian Market. Sorry about that!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Adriana's Caravan has a little blurb in the product description fo Szechuan Peppercorns that as of September 2004 they were allowed to legally sell them online.  It looks like, yes, the ban is kinda sorta lifted.  The price you paid for them at Buffalo Creek Spices seems to be the best I've seen online though I'm sure they're cheaper in your local Asian Market.  Sorry about that!

So --- who's an expert on the quality of the 'heat treated' as compared to 'unheated'? The last ones I bought, a few months ago -- in NYC's KamMan were in a plain store filled package. No name -- just a price hand written on the plastic. They were VERY good! No explanation as to their 'treatment'.

Quotes from last week's (April 28) Chicago Tribune  link (needs login) :

In mid-January, the federal government revised the ban to allow heat-treated Sichuan peppercorns into the country.

Fuchsia Dunlop, author of "Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking," experimented at her London home with heating the peppercorns to 140 degrees to see if the flavor was affected. She also tried steaming them.

"In both cases there was a slight loss of aroma and sensation (with of course a slight toasted flavor developing in the overheated pepper), but the pepper still 'worked' -- i.e., made my lips and tongue tingle for some time," she reported via e-mail.

Just tested the peppercorns that arrived today from CMC - numbed the tip of my tongue and my lips for about five minutes. I think we have some live ones here....

So --- who's an expert on the quality of the  'heat treated' as compared to 'unheated'?  The last ones I bought, a few months ago -- in NYC's KamMan were in a plain  store filled package. No name -- just a price hand written on the plastic. They were VERY good! No explanation as to their 'treatment'.

jo-mel,

See the quotes above your quote for some answers to your question (which I found by scrolling back a couple pages in this discussion). I'd consider Fuschia an expert and according to her, the loss in flavor & "zip" is minimal.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum, and this thread is what brought me here. About 6 months ago I was looking for Sichuan peppercorns in stores (not much of a selection here in Colorado) and on the net and was unable to find them, so I gave up. A month ago my sister was scheduled to go to China for business, so I asked her to bring some back for me. While dining in a restaurant, the dish she was eating clearly included the peppercorns, so she asked the waitress to write down the chinese symbols for them so she could find them the next day while shopping. Instead, the nice woman produced a rather large plastic bag full of them and gave them to her! So, as of a week or two ago I have a large amount of EXTREMELY fragrant and strong peppercorns in my pantry. If anyone lives in Colorado (Denver or North) and would like some, or would like me to send some to them through the mail, I would gladly part with some of my stash, as it's more than I will use before they lose their zing.

I'm new to the forum, and this thread is what brought me here.  If anyone lives in Colorado (Denver or North) and would like some, or would like me to send some to them through the mail, I would gladly part with some of my stash, as it's more than I will use before they lose their zing.

Aileen,

What a grand entrance to the forum! And a unique way of endearing yourself to Sechuan peppercorn starved eGulleteers. :wink::biggrin::laugh:

Welcome aboard and hope to see you post often!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 8 months later...

Just got back from my local Vietnamese/Asian market with an interesting find - a bag of "Dehydrated Prickly Ash," $1.79 for a 4 ounce bag.

Looks like Szechuan peppercorn, smells like szechuan peppercorn, works like szechuan peppercorn - yow!

I don't know how or why it's labelled as 'prickly ash,' as it doen't seem anything like any prickly ash in a quick google search. Doesn't matter, I've got my first batch of s-p in many years, no mail-order required!

I'm a very happy camper with a very weirded-out tongue right now.

Just got back from my local Vietnamese/Asian market with an interesting find - a bag of "Dehydrated Prickly Ash," $1.79 for a 4 ounce bag.

Looks like Szechuan peppercorn, smells like szechuan peppercorn, works like szechuan peppercorn - yow!

I don't know how or why it's labelled as 'prickly ash,' as it doen't seem anything like any prickly ash in a quick google search. Doesn't matter, I've got my first batch of s-p in many years, no mail-order required!

I'm a very happy camper with a very weirded-out tongue right now.

"Prickly ash" is correct... in English! Both Szechuan/Sichuan peppercorns and Japanese sansho are from related plants that are sometimes called prickly ash because of their thorns. See the authorative reference, Gernot Katzer's Spice Page.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

"Prickly ash" is correct... in English! Both Szechuan/Sichuan peppercorns and Japanese sansho are from related plants that are sometimes called prickly ash because of their thorns.  See the authorative reference, Gernot Katzer's Spice Page.

Suzy,

Thanks, excellent link! It may have been mentioned before in the many pages of this thread, but I don't recall seeing it previously (apologies to anyone if I missed your earlier link.)

So it appears that there are several plants that can legitimately be called Szechuan peppercorn, but this bag of 'prickly ash' is definitely the real deal.

I guess this is another option when shopping for the elusive (and possibly banned?) s-p - I bought it 'cuz I happened to see something that looked right, without knowing or caring about the name on the bag. Score!

So it appears that there are several plants that can legitimately be called Szechuan peppercorn, but this bag of 'prickly ash' is definitely the real deal.

I guess this is another option when shopping for the elusive (and possibly banned?) s-p - I bought it 'cuz I happened to see something that looked right, without knowing or caring about the name on the bag. Score!

Actually, Sichuan peppercorns aren't banned any more, as long as they're treated to destroy any possible citrus canker first. (I'm still working off the stash I have from before the ban, so I don't know if there's any difference in flavor!)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs