• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pork roasts

mikeczyz

I've got a pork roast from flying pigs farm coming in a few days. every cookbook i own seems to advocate a different approach from brining or just a salt rub to nothing, high heat, low heat....i'm confused! so many choices! i guess i'd like to hear a few experiences from others and see what successful or unsuccessful methods they've been used in the past.

thanks

mike

I've got a pork roast from flying pigs farm coming in a few days.  every cookbook i own seems to advocate a different approach from brining or just a salt rub to nothing, high heat, low heat....i'm confused!  so many choices!  i guess i'd like to hear a few experiences from others and see what successful or unsuccessful methods they've been used in the past. 

thanks

mike

What cut is it? Loin, shoulder, fresh ham? Makes a big difference.

I'd braise it slowly in a little stock (is that redundant?) or, better yet, put it on the smoker.

Add some sweet potatoes and mac and cheese and you'll be in 'hog heaven'...

Stop Family Violence

I'd braise it slowly in a little stock (is that redundant?) or, better yet, put it on the smoker.

Add some sweet potatoes and mac and cheese and you'll be in 'hog heaven'...

sweet potatoes sound good. i was already thinking sweet potatoes or a butternut squash element. will be making a apple-onion marmalade straight out of chez panisse fruits. pork came in a few minutes ago. TONS of marbling. i've never seen pork like this. sure beats my local supermarket.

mike

maybe a cabbage dish with the pork? i know its a cliche, but it tastes good!

A well marbled piece of pork cries out for a long, slow cook. If you don't have a smoker, I would suggest putting it in one of those Reynold's baking bags and giving it a go at 225 for a good long time. Season it liberally with salt and pepper and maybe poke some garilic in there. Sage and rosemary are welcome additions. Maybe pour a little white wine or beer into the bag. You want it to get to the "pulled pork" stage where all of the fat has rendered and the collagen has broken down to gelatin.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

A well marbled piece of pork cries out for a long, slow cook. If you don't have a smoker, I would suggest putting it in one of those Reynold's baking bags and giving it a go at 225 for a good long time. Season it liberally with salt and pepper and maybe poke some garilic in there. Sage and rosemary are welcome additions. Maybe pour a little white wine or beer into the bag. You want it to get to the "pulled pork" stage where all of the fat has rendered and the collagen has broken down to gelatin.

could you put some potatoes or other root vegetables in the bag along with the pork? it seems to me that the root veggies might absorb some of the pork 'juices'.

mike

You can add veggies if you wish. I have done that. You just have to really like pork fat. :biggrin:

(BTW... I do!)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Czech cooking has many excellent recipes for pork roast. I married into a Czeh family so it was manditory I learn to cook Czech. From a rubbing of salt, pepper, and caraway to being braised and topped with a carrot, celery, parsnip and sour cream gravey; it can be dangerously unhealthy but very delicious.

-- Jason