• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Eats in Western Burbs?

mark922

I just started working in the western Burbs recently and I'm looking for dining suggestions. I've found most of the obvious places in Naperville, like Samba Room, Heaven on Seven, Sullivan's.

What I'm looking for is good deli food, Vietnamese, Greek, and sushi. Actually, I'd love any suggestions.

I just started working in the western Burbs recently and I'm looking for dining suggestions.  I've found most of the obvious places in Naperville, like Samba Room, Heaven on Seven, Sullivan's.

What I'm looking for is good deli food, Vietnamese, Greek, and sushi.  Actually, I'd love any suggestions.

Is there really nowhere to eat in the Western suburbs?

Well, I did manage to find the worst Chinese food in Naperville, if not in fact in the entire State of Illinois.

China Buffet

720 E Ogden Ave

Naperville, IL 60563

Tel: (630)-548-3388

I should have known to walk out when I entered the place and they collected the cost of the meal ($6.50) up front.

The hot and sour soup tasted of warm melted Vaseline with chunks of tofu floating in it. I managed two bites and set it aside. The fried rice looked and tasted like Vigo's yellow rice mix with some chopped onion and frozen peas and carrots.

The entrees were all rather bland and oily. The potstickers had never made it into a wok and the skins were thick and gummy. Also, for reasons I can not begin to fathom, they had two different kinds of potatos and onion rings on the buffet. The onion rings appeared to be the most popular item with the regulars.

Help!!!!

Sushi - we like Sushi House in Wheaton (there's also one in downtown Naperville) or Sakura on Ogden Ave in Iroqois shopping center.

For Vietnamese you'll have to go further north into Wheaton and Carol Stream.

Luong Loi on Main St just north of the RR tracks in Wheaton.

Nha Y is on St Charles Rd - go east on St. Charles Rd from Schmale Rd and it is on the right.

Nha Y is better in my opinion with an extensive menu. Luong Loi is part chinese/ part vietnamese so some of the items suffer like the cha gio egg rolls which contain cabbage - blah. Luong Loi does have excellent pho though.

I'm a Warrenvillian of long standing, and I haven't responded until now because I'm still scratching my head. Why the western burbs are so short of interesting restaurants continues to puzzle me.

Then I remembered Sweet Willie's review of Tallgrass. Gimme a click

For us along the 88/59 corridor Lockport is not the five day ride in a covered wagon through cornfields that it is for our Chicago/Northern Burbs cityslicker eGulls. When I have, er, cash flow...I'm going!

Meson Sabika on Aurora Ave. in Naperville is a decent tapas/Spanish place, but I haven't eaten there in a couple of years.

Good luck. And please...if you find something, let us know!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Meson Sabika on Aurora Ave. in Naperville is a decent tapas/Spanish place, but I haven't eaten there in a couple of years.

My office is in the same building as the Northfield outpost of Meson Sabika. Their food has always been darned good and pretty consistent. That said, about 2 years ago the owner moved Chef Randy from Northfield to their Naperville location and the Northfield location dipped slightly in quality of food and service. I guess the good news is that if Chef Randy's still at that location it's probably very good...maybe as good as their Northfield location used to be.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

My friends Tony G and Dickson D have uncovered tons of interesting places in the far western suburbs, before I list them, let me note a few places I know myself:

- "Internationa Mall" - This is a small food court next to the Diho market in Westmont (Ogden and 83). On the weekends, they offer some really interesting Taiwain style Chinese food, including fresh donuts to dip in hot soy milk.

- Sabri Nehari - On Roosevelt in Lombard - Pakistani food is Indian food with tons more meat. Sabri does all the tandoor meats and breads better than you used to get on the buffet as well as traditional dishes such as nehari, a rich, spicy beef stew.

OK, here's some of what the experts suggest:

- ByBy's - In W. Chicago - run by a family from San Luis Potosi, and they feature an amazingly wide range of Mexican food, featuring primarily quesadillas, tacos, and huaraches. Look to the wall menu for the most interesting items.

- Fabulous Noodles - Lisle - Traditional Chinese noodle shop

- Luong Loi - Wheaton - Vietnamese place, perhaps not Argyle, but still considered good

- Susan's Place - Naperville - What Luong Loi is to Chicago Vietamese, Susan's is to Chicago Polish, perhaps not the best but good enough.

- Indian - Naperville has a wide range of Indian places that seem to change ownership and style with some frequency. Just try a few like Mayurt, Cuisine of India and Bhartmela/Hunan Inn.

Edited by Vital Information (log)

Vital: Thank you. I love the food court at the Diho market too. Otherwise, these are mostly new to me, and mostly unknown.

I especially appreciate the mention of Bybys, which should be within a five minute drive. I knew that (duh!) there must be good Mexican in West Chicago, but I didn't know where to find it. And I'll definitely be checking out Loung Loi.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Vital:  Thank you. I love the food court at the Diho market too.  Otherwise, these are mostly new to me, and mostly unknown.

Note, the food court is in the building NEXT to Diho, and I believe the food court has no affiliation with Diho.

As to Diho, I have heard but have not verified myself, that the Diho is Westmont is much better than the Diho in Skokie. Regardless, the Diho in Westmont is a pretty interesting store for a variety of Asian food.

- Indian - Naperville has a wide range of Indian places that seem to change ownership and style with some frequency.  Just try a few like Mayurt, Cuisine of India and Bhartmela/Hunan Inn.

I have been to Cuisine of India a number of times. I always enjoy my meal, which, since I go at lunch, is always the buffet. Of late, however, the quality seems ot have dropped off just a bit. They used to bring chicken tandoori hot straight to the table. It suffers a bit from its move to the buffet line. Also, they used to have cauliflower mandarin at least every other time I went, which is one of my favorite dishes. I haven't seen that in a couple of months now. Still, it is good enough to bring me back.

I tried Sakura last night. It was very tasty, but I like the fish just a wee bit colder. Also, I'm used to bigger pieces as well. But then, I've been spoiled. My current house (we're building one in Plainfield) is about 10 minutes away from Sushi Kusi Toyo, on Waukegan Road just north of Everett Road in Lake Forest. Hands down, Sushi Kushi is the best sushi I've ever eaten anywhere.

On the Greek front, I went to the Greek Isles Lombard location, 300 22nd Street. It's as good as the Halsted Street location.

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally got to Luong Loi last night for dinner. Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed it so much I went back for lunch today!

Last night I got a bowl of pho, after starting out with the beef lemongrass skewers. Both were truly excellent, although I had to ask for extra lime for the pho, and I was disappointed that they had no fresh mint. On the other hand, the Thai basil was fresh, fragrant and filled in nicely. The broth was aromatic, not too salty and had a wonderful note of five-spice powder.

At lunch today, I got the spring rolls and found them to be as good as any I've ever had. The first bite bought me back to the Little Saigon area of Houston, where I first discovered Vietnamese food many years ago. For the main meal I had the Bun Thit Nuong, barbecued pork with rice noodles. The dish was prepared with all the right accompaniments: fresh cucumber, shredded carrot, bean sprouts, lettuce, and chopped peanuts. The dipping sauce was very tasty, a good belnd of fish sauce, vinegar, and a hint of pepper that was easily supplemented with Sriracha chile sauce.

I can easily see myself becoming a regular.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I finally got to Luong Loi last night for dinner. Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed it so much I went back for lunch today!

Be still my heart: good Vietnamese just down the road in Wheaton! And I'm determined to get to ByBy's, which is even closer.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

never knew there was Vietnamese in Wheaton! Do they have bahn mi (a new craving of mine) for lunch? Diho Westmont is far bigger than Diho Skokie and its still the best place to get Chinese groceries (though with a number of openings in Naperville there are options in a pinch). Has anyone tried the new Taiwanese bakery in Iriquois?

Okay, as to the question, the best sushi in Naperville is probably Sushi House downtown. However, Yamado on Ogden Ave is pretty good and has a great $1 sushi special on Tuesday night and Saturday (but cash only!). The other food there is unremarkable, so just fill up on the sushi. For American food, I have had many fine meals at Branmor's in Warrenville and have often taken friends, have yet to hear a complaint. There are some decent Indian places, but my favorite was in Iriquois (the name escapes me) and it seemed to have closed down last time I was there.

• 1 year later...

I realize that this thread is ancient, but it took us quite a while to find good "ethnic" food out here, so I'll post in case it helps anybody. Most of these we hit for take-out as we have ayoung child and no babysitter, so I'm speaking to the food here, not the ambiance:

Chinese-Lee's Chinese Garden on rt 59 in Naperville (just south of Diehl). Good pot stickers, won ton soup, mongolian beef, general tso's chicken, fried rice, etc.

Deli-J.P. Schmaltz's on (or just off?) Ogden in Naperville. In the strip mall with the TGI Friday's (and ironically right next to Honeybaked Ham). As far as I know, it's the only deli out this way. I get a bit peeved when they boast about everything being flown in from New York, or the bagels/conned beef being from the North Shore, etc (what exactly do they make?) but they still put together a darned good corned beef/chopped liver sandwich-gimme some mustard, an onion roll, and a pickle and I'm set!

Indian-Haven't explored this genre fully, but we've been pretty happy with Sizzle India. Can't remember where they are, but it's in Naperville.

Greek-I don't have much to go with here, but the Papagus at the Oakbrook mall is pretty yummy-just with there was something more authentic and less "chainy"

Spanish/Tapas-Maison Sabika is it as far as I know. Not bad, but can't hold a candle to Cafe Iberico in the city.

I think that's all I have to offer for now, but based on what I've read on this board tonight, I'm going to be checking out Bobak's on 75th in Naperville for Polish food very soon.

I realize that this thread is ancient, but it took us quite a while to find good "ethnic" food out here, so I'll post in case it helps anybody. . .

Well, it's not ancient anymore :biggrin:

Thanks for the update, happycook23. It's much appreciated.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Glad to see this thread since I live in Naperville and have the same problem finding good restaurants. On Washington, however, there is a French restaurant going in where Carzz used to be. I believe it is called Bistro Margot. As soon as it opens, I'll check it out and report back. Catch 35 (I think that's the correct name) also on Washington is less then a year old and we've eaten there several times. It's been very good on those occasions but it is pricey. Don't bother with Rizzo's on Jefferson (also new). Oh, and I just remembered, Jade Garden in Hinsdale is good and you can byob.

jb

Aloha - when I go to my hometown of Naperville twice a year this is what I eat. I like the Catch 35

quite a bit although it's expensive. Try Hugo's Frog Bar (yes, I know there's one in Chicago too) but

the prices are terrific - especially for lunch. They have a great soup (clam chowder) for only $1.00

for a huge bowl, lots of sliced potato and bacon chunks, salads for $1.00 and those little sirloin burgers for I think $1.00 or you can get a little platter. The prime rib steak sandwich is killer along

with their french fries. I like to buy food from Casey's up off Washington & Gartner (?) across from

the Mid-American bank meatloaf to just heat at home with some of their baked potatoes or they have a nice deli with Boar's Head meats. I always buy to eat when I am there sausages and then

buy some to take home (freeZe). I liked the Heaven on Seven and I really really enjoyed 10 West

as the food philosophy stayed the same after the departure of Patrick Cassata. Nicky's on Ogden

and Loomis (?) has some great gyros (also chicken gyros) and some tasty corned beef sandwiches.

I also like Bar Loui's they have a great cheeseburger and other good food at not too expensive

prices (I know they have other area locations). There is always the good ole Lantern on Washington

and Chicago Ave. if you can take the cigarette smoke, their chili was always good/still is, we carried

out one night. I also really like the Tango, the empanadas were really good with the corn relish and

the steaks were fabulous with their chimmichurri sauce which is different that lots of places in that

it is not totally green but clear with lots of garlic some carrots and the usual cilantro and parsley.

I would have guessed that China Buffet would be totally gross - just driving by and seeing the scum

build up on the windows gives me the creeps making me never wonder what it was like inside.......

I do like the Tong's restaurant in that sad looking shopping center at the corner of Naperville Rd.

and Ogden Ave. They have some great Szchewan food, killer hot and sour soup in addition to

cantonese fare. If you carry out be sure to check your order before leaving! It is always good

I like their egg foo young, something I never think of eaeting anywhere else. This is just a short

list of places we go when we visit, next time will be in October/November, too cold for my tastes

but what can you do? Enjoy your dining - a hui hou :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I apologize if someone already mentioned this, but with so many posts to read and having this great tip I MUST bypass the messages and reply:

the Sushi House at the riverwalk in Naperville. It's fabulous!!!!

here's a link to the website: http://www.mysushihouse.com/index.asp

Yes they are a chain, but an amazing chain. My husband and I eat there one a week.

Ok rant done.

There's a yummy in my tummy.

I graduated from Naperville Central in 1972--I think the best place to eat there then was Burger King. 

Gonna have to go visit my brother and find some of these places!

You might be right about Burger King.......Cock Robin was pretty awful, they did put in a lovely

park where it used to be. Burger King was a good place to quench the munchies from sitting on

the bridge all day......I graduated from Central in 1974, a year early. :wink: a hui hou......

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

• 1 year later...