• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic: Tips and Troubleshooting, Selecting, Storing, Recipes, Safety

Kim WB

My initial reaction to your question was to think "how is it being stored?".  Garlic lasts a long time in a cool dry place. Maybe that would be a place to start addressing the dilemma.

She keeps the garlic heads/cloves in a bowl on the counter in the kitchen.  Often there are other items in the bowl, such as bananas, pears, citrus, and so forth.  Sometimes (usually) the garlic finds its way to the bottom of the pile.

I have one of these garlic jars that I never use.  Do you think that storing the garlic in such a jar will extend it's usefulness?

... Shel

That definitely sounds like a place the garlic might deteriorate quickly. Either the special use garlic storage jar or just a little bowl - but stored in the pantry (cook dry AND dark) might be an easy solution. Let us know if it works :)

That definitely sounds like a place the garlic might deteriorate quickly. Either the special use garlic storage jar or just a little bowl - but stored in the pantry (cook dry AND dark) might be an easy solution. Let us know if it works :)

The pantry idea won't work at her place, but I'll see if I can dig up my jar.  If not, maybe I'll press something similar into service or just buy a little one for her place.  Don't know why I didn't think of that ... well, maybe because the way I buy and use garlic there's not been  a need to use the storage jar at my place.  Thanks!

... Shel

She keeps the garlic heads/cloves in a bowl on the counter in the kitchen.  Often there are other items in the bowl, such as bananas, pears, citrus, and so forth.  Sometimes (usually) the garlic finds its way to the bottom of the pile.

I have one of these garlic jars that I never use.  Do you think that storing the garlic in such a jar will extend it's usefulness?

I have one of those jars and use it all the time and it works quite well. I keep the whole bulb in there and just break off what I need. I store it in a kitchen cupboard.

yes.  don't bother with it in the first place, and get one of those fz packs of garlic from TJ's   from Israel

lasts fz almost forever.

Not my style of using garlic.  I like to be able to choose how I use it - minced, grated, pulverized into a paste, chopped, chunks, crushed ... etc.  I also like to choose the type of garlic I'm using ...

... Shel

I have one of those jars and use it all the time and it works quite well. I keep the whole bulb in there and just break off what I need. I store it in a kitchen cupboard.

Good to know.  I'll look for my jar after the weekend ... right now I'm heading into the kitchen to make potato salad (Mmmmm!)

• Like 1

... Shel