• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is Booty Food?

Suvir Saran

well my mind first went to the pirates booty collection of styrofoam snacks.

then i remembered that red beans and rice apparently are notorious for putting a backside on someone. i think i might have got that from Sir Mix-a-lot in Baby got Back tho.

Edited by tryska (log)

Oh, if the origination is from "Pirate's Booty" then it's clear. The word "booty" in this case means plundered treasure.

---------------------------

From The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

1. Plunder taken from an enemy in time of war.

2. Goods or property seized by force or piracy.

3. A valuable prize, award, or gain.

Great thread! Fascinating term--I've never heard it, and am delighted to find it does indeed refer to precisely what I initially thought! Ironically, Suvir, for me Indian food is "booty food"--most specifically curries! There's just something about a good curry that, well, um, I can't get into it here.:wub: I am, after all, a respectable married woman now. But just ask Col. Klink about the Indian feast I prepared for him, early on in our dating life...

On the other hand, "traditional" booty foods don't do a lot for me--like chocolate. But I do see a mango recipe on the link you give, mcdowell, and agree whole-heartedly with that one!

'Fess up, everybody--what are your "booty foods"? But then, I'd be surprised if this hasn't already been discussed somewhere on this list.

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

Great thread!  Fascinating term--I've never heard it, and am delighted to find it does indeed refer to precisely what I initially thought!  Ironically, Suvir, for me Indian food is "booty food"--most specifically curries!  There's just something about a good curry that, well, um, I can't get into it here.:wub:  I am, after all, a respectable married woman now.  But just ask Col. Klink about the Indian feast I prepared for him, early on in our dating life...

On the other hand, "traditional" booty foods don't do a lot for me--like chocolate.  But I do see a mango recipe on the link you give, mcdowell, and agree whole-heartedly with that one!

'Fess up, everybody--what are your "booty foods"?  But then, I'd be surprised if this hasn't already been discussed somewhere on this list.

Batgrrrl

Indian food as Booty Food? :blink::rolleyes::shock::unsure::wacko::raz:

Really? How so? I am sure you can find ways of getting into details without really stirring the pot on eGullet too much. Please tell.

What was the menu of this Indian feast? How did he enjoy it?

Indian food as Booty Food? :blink:  :rolleyes:  :shock:  :unsure:  :wacko:  :raz:

Really? How so?  I am sure you can find ways of getting into details without really stirring the pot on eGullet too much.  Please tell.

What was the menu of this Indian feast?  How did he enjoy it?

Now I'm really blushing!!! :wub: I don't know that I can explain it--I guess I'd say, the nature of "booty food" is that it fundamentally hits us in a very primal way, "below the belt" if I may borrow a phrase from boxing to imply something complete different! Indian food is just plain sexy to me--the rich pungency of the curries and creamy sauces... :wub::wub::wub: Okay, I'd better stop, I've got papers to grade! This is not helping!

But before I go, the menu I believe involved a lamb curry and a creamy coconut curry with prawns, as well as a lentil dish.

And now all of egullet knows far more about me than is really necessary!

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

Thanks for the definition. This was new to me. I guess I need an Old Fogey's dictionary.

Also new to me is Jacqui Malouf being called a "comedian" in the article. Who knew? :blink:

Glad to see she has moved beyond the Flay-man and is married now.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Lard?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Also new to me is Jacqui Malouf being called a "comedian" in the article.  Who knew? :blink:

Glad to see she has moved beyond the Flay-man and is married now.

It was her book that I was referring to.

I saw excerpts from it yesterday... and I wondered if many would associate with what she calls booty food.

The book has amazing photographs. And I am partial here... maybe my association with the photographer has me blind.

I'd say, the nature of "booty food" is that it fundamentally hits us in a very primal way, "below the belt" if I may borrow a phrase from boxing to imply something complete different!  Indian food is just plain sexy to me--the rich pungency of the curries and creamy sauces...

I'm with you, Batgrrrl. Indian food does it for me too, pretty much every time.

I've also been known to get it up over well cooked southern food, especially after a really long drought from Chicken Fried Steak and fried Okra... my girlfriend reeled me in with her cornbread.. man. :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

A special dinner is being held in Seattle at Union Bay Cafe to promote the book and offers a matched dinner. Monday, Jan 26. I've seen the price listed as $75 and $90. $170 per couple...

"Booty food — Co-author Jacqui Malouf ("Booty Food: A Date by Date, Nibble by Nibble, Course by Course Guide to Cultivating Love and Passion Through Food" and Union Bay Chef Mark Manley create an "erotic" dinner from recipes from the book. "

erm what you feed your booty call?

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.