• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chanoodle

mjc

Two friends and I were near chinatown on sunday night and I remember reading about this place and thought to stop in for a light snack, as we had spent the entire day eating.

We had the wonton noodle soup which came in big bowl and was only 1.99. The wontons were filled with shrimp and my friends really liked it, but to me it was nothing special. Then we ordered the snails in the special house sauce, which were present every table. They were very good. The special house sauce was a sweet brown sauce with spicy peppers and some other flavor that kept it from being too sweet. We also had some sautted water spinach which was good. Finally we had an order of the two sausage fried rice they wrote about in the times. I agree that this was the best friend rice I’ve had in a long time, perhaps ever.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

• 3 months later...

In the Wednesday, January 21 New York Times, Eric Asimov gave a rave review of Chanoodle (link here; you may need to scroll down to the appropriate spot). I'm not familiar with this establishment. Are any of you? Do you concur with Asimov's very high opinion of it?

Michael aka "Pan"

I don't know how I missed the earlier post. I'll merge the two threads. [Edit: Done] Anyone else have any opinions about the place?

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I see that they open at 8:30 am. What would you get there at that hour?

Congee, and the fried dough accompaniments, along with soy milk and a few other random things, are popular Chinese breakfast items, as Pan is sort of implying above.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.