• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

no 3 york place

well all this talk of no3 and quite frankly depressing work meant the thought of sandwiches was dismissed as the tractor beam of number 3 pulled me in yet again :biggrin:

set lunch was partaken

poached hens egg, black pudding, smoked bacon, sauted potato warm salad looked great. 4 decent chunks of diagonally sliced pud ontop of the potatoes ouef poche in the middle with salad leaves on top and a nice sprinklingof rock salt.

v good.

main was excellent too roast fillet of cod, smoke bacon and pea rissotto, wild mushrooms, veloute of thyme. This dish reminded me of my favourite french cooking, must be the veloute, always a personal fave. A decent sized chunk of fish with interesting and well seasoned mushrooms, on a bed of the risotto with a really good veloute, with chives by the look of it but hey, not time to be picky :biggrin:

a thoroughly enjoyable lunch with the company of denis and the chatty staff.

menu changes again first week july if you are thinking of a trip, got to keep it interesting for the many regulars apparently!

gary

you don't win friends with salad

It was wet enough for the animals to be gathering two by two in leeds this lunchtime. I was going to get wet the question was would i get wet walking to prets and back or make a pleasant diversion to no3?

after a short deliberation i found myself in my usual spot in the corner on the banquette.

amuse today was a horseradish and something cold veloute which had a reasonable kick but was probably not quite the thing for a cold day, heinz tommy soup probably more appropriate :biggrin: but it was something different to try.

starter, well the black pudding/poached egg/smoked bacon was on again it seemed foolish not to, so i did. it was again very good and polished off in probably record time, the slight hangover from last night responding well to the runny yolk and reconstituted pigs blood!

main was my 'usual' the pot roast chicken, not adventurous but on a miserable day who can pass up chicken, almost robuchon like mashed potato and a thyme jus, not me :biggrin:

cheers

gary

• 1 month later...

Whilst Mrs Marshall squeezed in an extra half hour of getting ready, Scott, Sam and myself blew the froth off a few at the slightly adventurous hour of 6pm given I knew what was likely to follow!

As usual I treated them to the full GM tour of leeds, living room, all bar one then restaurant du jour, or nuit which for tonight was Number 3 york place.

We arrived sometime after 8pm and had the usual pol roger nv whilst deliberating over the menu. In the end Sarah went for Red Mullet & Saffron Soup with Gruyère Cheese, Rouille & Croûtons, Sam the Terrine of Foie Gras, Confit & Smoked Chicken, Apricot Chutney, toasted Brioche , Scott had Confit Rabbit Leg & Poached Loin, Carrot & Tarragon Salad, Sauterne Jelly and I had the Cannelloni of Duck & Wild Mushrooms, Caramelised Baby Onions, Broad Beans & Peas, Jus Roti . It must be said the duck was a whopping portion, a perfect cylinder cut on the diagonal at the ends, stuffed with shredded duck and mushrooms, scott remarked it looked main course sized, which I agreed, but still forgot to save him anything but the last morsel, even worse after he had diligently shared his poached rabbit beforehand!

To drink was a personal favourite St aubin 1er cru ‘les frionnes’ Hubert lamy.

Scott and I then proceeded to the fish section and had Roast Fillet of Sea Bass, Herb Risotto, Deep Fried Calamari, Smoked Bacon, Vermouth Cream, Sauce Lie-de-Vin . With a couple of glasses of Chablis (1er cru mont de tonnerre I think) that denis had recommended earlier that he thought would go well with the fish. It was a lovely dish full of comforting flavours from the risotto, the tube of deep fried calamari and the cream sauce. Oh and the sea bass wasn’t bad either!

Mains were Roast Canon & Braised Leg of Lamb, Saffron Pomme Mousseline, Asparagus, Broad Beans & Tomato, Jus Roti for Sam.

Braised Pig’s Trotter stuffed with Black Pudding, Veal Sweetbreads & Chicken, Buttered Spinach, Pomme Purée, Essence of Morels for scott, officially the richest dish known to man!

sarah the Breast of Barbary Duck Roasted with Maple Syrup, Pistachio & Duck Ravioli, Sweet Potato Purée, Puy Lentils, Sweet & Sour Sauce.

I had Breasts of Quail “En Papilotte” with Foie Gras, Smoked Bacon & Sage, Pomme Sarladaise, Jus of Thyme , My quail were two delicate parcels wrapped in savoy cabbage, the potato was a highlight, a galette of goose fat cooked potatoes on top of some great puree,mmm.

With this lot we had an old bottle of chateau musar that denis had tracked down, a 1989. I’ve not enjoyed the most recent ‘97’s so this was good to try again, a real beast that needed some time to open and threw off a lot of sediment but a good wine and considering you can pay £47 in leeds for 97 musar the £45 charged here seemed fair!

We shared a cheese plate, there is a full menu but I just asked them to make up a selection and we had a glass of '98 port each with those.

Although we were quite full by this point It seemed foolish not to have an assiette of deserts for the table, the highlight for me the pear tatin, I do remember being talked out of having a tarte tatin to myself also, but after my rambling eulogy of how good the small portion on the tasting plate was denis did the decent thing and gave me the remainder of what was left from the kitchen! Denis brought some desert wine to accompany these too.

I remember calva’s for scott and I (roger groult) a glenfiddich for sam and espresso’s but by then it was past 1am and we thought it time to leave the staff to enjoy their Friday night out, so we headed back to the hotel bar to ensure we’d need a hair of the dog tomorrow morning before our trip to anthony’s.

Fully deserves a star in February, consistently good cooking, great wine list, great service and a frequently changing menu make this a must try destination.

cheers

gary

Red Mullet & Saffron Soup with Gruyère Cheese,

Rouille & Croûtons

£ 4.95

Terrine of Foie Gras, Confit & Smoked Chicken,

Apricot Chutney, toasted Brioche

£ 9.95

Cannelloni of Duck & Wild Mushrooms,

Caramelised Baby Onions, Broad Beans & Peas, Jus Roti

£7.95

Risotto of English Lobster

£11.95

Confit Rabbit Leg & Poached Loin,

Carrot & Tarragon Salad, Sauterne Jelly

£ 8.95

Roast Sea Scallops, Tiger Prawn Tortellini,

Caramelised Salsify, Fennel Purée, Ginger Cream

£ 13.95

Terrine of Provençale Vegetables, Goat’s Cheese Cream,

Aged Balsamic Vinegar

£6.95

Roast Fillet of Sea Bass, Herb Risotto, Deep Fried Calamari,

Smoked Bacon, Vermouth Cream, Sauce Lie-de-Vin

£ 19.95

Confit Escalope of Salmon, Ratatouille, Spinach, Tomato Butter Sauce

£ 13.95

Pan Fried Fillets of John Dory, Fricassée of Summer Vegetables,

Pomme Fondant, Velouté of Rosemary

£17.95

Fillet of Beef, Roast Vine Tomatoes, Red Onion Purée, Red Wine Sauce

£18.95

Roast Canon & Braised Leg of Lamb, Saffron Pomme Mousseline, Asparagus, Broad Beans & Tomato, Jus Roti £16.95

Braised Pig’s Trotter stuffed with Black Pudding, Veal Sweetbreads & Chicken,

Buttered Spinach, Pomme Purée, Essence of Morels

£ 17.95

Breasts of Quail “En Papilotte” with Foie Gras,

Smoked Bacon & Sage, Pomme Sarladaise, Jus of Thyme

£13.95

Breast of Barbary Duck Roasted with Maple Syrup, Pistachio &

Duck Ravioli, Sweet Potato Purée, Puy Lentils, Sweet & Sour Sauce

£ 15.95

Side Order: Panaché de Légumes or Pomme Purée £ 3.95

Hot Strawberry Soufflé with Strawberry Ice cream

£ 6.95

Crème Brûlée scented with Star Anise,

Roast Spiced Pineapple, Pineapple Sorbet

£ 6.95

Tarte Tatin of Pears, Ginger Ice cream, Caramel sauce

£6.95

Trio of Chocolate

Dark Chocolate & Coffee Fondant, White Chocolate & Lavender Sorbet,

Dark Chocolate & Orange Delice

£ 6.95

Pyramid of Raspberry Sorbet & Nougat Glacé

£ 6.95

Assiette of Desserts

£ 12.95

Selection of English & French Farmhouse Cheeses

£ 7.95

• 2 weeks later...

I will be travelling over to Leeds - York area the 3rd of August for 3 weeks. I can see York Place will be must do... Any other suggestions and might there be an Egullet get together during that time? It would be fun to meet some limey gulleters.

Cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to visit No 3 York Place last week with my wife and we had an excellent meal. It was not perfect but there are some really good features.

The minuses were the Tiger Prawn Tortellini accompanying the Scallops and the Pistachio & Duck Ravioli with the Barbary Duck. In both cases the pasta was not quite right, a little too thick and tough.

The pluses, the Lobster ravioli which was sublime and the wine list which is extensive as one would expect and includes a good selection of half bottles enabling us to have a Sancerre and Chateauneuf-du-Pape, the excellent Vieux Telegraphe 1999 which was perfectly presented in ideal glasses..

Overall I would concur with Gary that this must be in the running come February.

David

Chateauneuf-du-Pape, the excellent Vieux Telegraphe 1999 which was perfectly presented in ideal glasses..

glad you enjoyed it david

i had an interesting wine the other week at no3, it was 'vieux telegram', the sister wine but apparently made with de-classified 'telegraph' juice in this particular vintage.

anyway being very useful here as i can't remember the vintage :blink: , but if you're interested i'm sure denis will know what year it is.

gary

• 3 weeks later...

went in last night for dinner with my friend for fine food and to catch up on news - and was very satisfied on both counts.

Had the duck canneloni and Foie gras terrine as starters, and both of us went for the sea bass as mains. All the food was good, but think the sea bass was my favourite - sweet succulent flesh and well crisped skin - which I can never do. Wimps that we were - we could only find room to share a dessert of milk chocolate souffle on the basis that it would go well with our coffees!

However, the main point of this note is to bow down to all those who can manage three full courses from the alc. The food was delicious but I was completely stuffed about halfway through my main course, but felt it was only right and proper to continue! Clearly I need more practice at this gluttony lark :wink: .... good job I have the Blue Bicycle booked for this weekend

cheers

Yin

Edited by YKL (log)

Clearly I need more practice at this gluttony lark :wink: .... good job I have the Blue Bicycle booked for this weekend

It is a path well worth persuing!

when you can do two tasting menus in a day you know you've made it :wink:

enjoy the blue bike, i was quite pleasantly suprised. Not a 'gourmet' restaurant by any stretch of the imagination but certainly worth a try.

cheers

gary

• 2 weeks later...

However, the main point of this note is to bow down to all those who can manage three full courses from the alc.  The food was delicious but I was completely stuffed about halfway through my main course, but felt it was only right and proper to continue!  Clearly I need more practice at this gluttony lark  :wink: .... good job I have the Blue Bicycle booked for this weekend

cheers

Yin

Had a discussion with a friend recently as to whether portion size may be a problem at No3 York Place. The key question is will these large portions which render a three course meal something of a feat hinder the star. Does a red book inspector want to be stuff? Somehow I doubt it.

David

Had a discussion with a friend recently as to whether portion size may be a problem at No3 York Place. The key question is will these large portions which render a three course meal something of a feat hinder the star. Does a red book inspector want to be stuff? Somehow I doubt it.

David

i would say they are cooking more for the local market than the whims of michelin. A full restaurant pays the bills not a star and that has been the first priority.

the main complaint about anthony's appears to be that the portions are too small, i suspect no3 are just making sure no-one can complain that they've not had 'a good feed'

there's plenty of folk up here who still equate quantity with quality :biggrin:

for the record, i favour both!

cheers

gary

when idly surfing i came across the following starter on the new ALC at no3 ....

'Crispy Pig’s Trotter stuffed with Ham Hock & Chicken, Seared Foie Gras, Celeriac Remoulade, Fried Quail’s Egg, Purée of Granny Smiths'

it wasn't a hard decision to decide a visit was in order :biggrin:

the dish was 3 discs of the trotter which had been pan fried, the celeriac in the centre with a generous rectangle of foie on top, with the fried quails egg on top of that. The granny smiths puree was in little blobs around the plate, but was not very appley.

for main i was dull and had

Roast Breast of Corn Fed Chicken, Cannelloni of Chicken Confit, Asparagus, Broad Beans & Peas, Jus of Thyme

it was the usual well executed dish nothing wrong but i felt the chicken breast lacked seasoning,however the canneloni was excellent.

despite being empty when i arrived the restuarant was almost full when i left which was good to see.

cheers

gary

I had the first meal I'd had in ages at No 3 on saturday past. I hadn't actually been since the old days of Simon Gueller. I used to be quite a fan but toward the end of his reign we'd had a pretty average but shockingly expensive meal there and just never seemed to find the urge to back. Anyway recent chat on here persuaded me to drag myself away from Anthony's and give it a go again.

It was good :biggrin:

The amuse was a small cup of gazpacho, which was a little shocking to the palate initially because of a heavy vinegar kick at hte back of the throat - I thought this was a little overpowering but it did mellow towards the end of the dish. I'm not the reatest fan of cold soup but it wasn't bad all in, having just a hint of the classic heinz tomato soup at the end.

My starter was "Carpaccio of English Beef Fillet with Foie Gras, Pommery Mustard Cream, Salad of Herbs" The carpaccio was gorgeous - properly melt in the mouth. The foie seemed to lack a little depth though (maybe too cold?) The mustard cream was a lovely thing though. The salad of herbs was probably a little too strong for the delicacy of the rest though as I found myself taking a slurp of wine after every mouthful to clear my tongue a little (and that was obviously the only reason :wink: ). Overall though a really good dish. My wifes "Seared Sea Scallops with Jerusalem Artichoke Purée, Asparagus Salad, Truffle Vinaigrette" was superb. The scallops and that great resistance and then give that I love - beautifully cooked.

My reason for not having the pigs trotter for starter was that I then had an exuse to go for "Braised Pig’s Trotter stuffed with Black Pudding, Veal Sweetbreads & Chicken Pomme Purée, Essence of Morels £ 17.95" I think somebody else described this dish as rich. Ooof - it was a belt buster. The trotter itself was fantastic, full of unctious flavours. The pomme puree was less of a hit, reminding me of school dinner mashed spuds - not a good memory. My wife had "Fillet of Beef, Gratin Dauphinoise, Buttered Spinach, Fricassée of Wild Mushrooms, Red Wine Sauce £18.95". This was gorgeous. Loveley tender, aged beef and a great sauce. The gratin was one of the best I have ever had - Its making me hungry even thinking about it - so creamy.

By this time my wife was beginning to struggle so pre dessert that she could scoff down was a surprise. The details are a little hazy but it was some kind of creamy/thick banana thing with a butterscotch topping. I gulped it down in seconds - I could have eaten a whole bowful - gorgeous.

After that my wife could only manage half her "Champagne Jelly with Red Fruits, Passion Fruit Sauce". This wasn't bad, but the jelly lacked any interest where it didn't surround the fruit.

I however, was feeling braver. The " Assiette of Desserts " wasn't going to stop me. 6 little puds on a plate, one of each on the menu plus ice cream:

Hot Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Ice Cream & Chocolate Sauce,

Crème Brûlée, Compote of Granny Smiths, Blackberry Jus,

Champagne Jelly with Red Fruits, Passion Fruit Sauce,

Iced Banana Parfait with Bitter Chocolate Sorbet & Caramel sauce,

Baked Lemon Tart with a Hot Orange Soufflé,

Out of those, the Souffle was great as was the lemon tart. The creme brulee and ice cream good but not great and the other two a bit disappointing. ( I was very stuffed by this point though and it would have taken something special to keep me going).

We finished a fine meal with coffee and homemade chocs in the bar, although many of the chocs went uneaten the ones sampled were good.

Wine was the 1989 Chateau Musar as recommended by someone who eats here only rarely :biggrin: . It was good but I agree it kicks off serious sediment - the last glass had to be left half drunk :shock: .

Many have mentioned the portion sizes and I certainly don't think they were small but I was only in physical pain because I went for the assiete of desserts. Its do-able comfortably normally. Seasoning was nearly all spot on too.

A good meal then and at £170 for two possibly slightly more than Anthony's. A's remains my favourite for the moment though.

Cheers

P

Edited by Plutocrat (log)
Gordon Wallace

Wine was the 1989 Chateau Musar as recommended by someone who eats here only rarely :biggrin: . It was good but I agree it kicks off serious sediment - the last glass had to be left half drunk :shock: .

Many have mentioned the portion sizes and I certainly don't think they were small but I was only in physical pain because I went for the assiete of desserts. Its do-able comfortably normally. Seasoning was nearly all spot on too.

A good meal then and at £170 for two possibly slightly more than Anthony's. A's remains my favourite for the moment though.

think the last 'portion size' debate with regards number 3 was that they had swung the other way, they were almost too big! (nb not a complaint i have).

and anyway, if you're too full it just means you need a large calva  :biggrin:

it's hard to compare anthony's and no3, both ostensibly 'fine dining' but very different beasts bit like merchant house and hibiscus. Depends what mood i'm in what i would go for, sometimes you want 'the how on earth did he make that' and others 'foie, bits of pigs, pomme puree and big sauces' trip  :biggrin:

cheers

gary

Regarding the portion size I did mean that they were on the large size. I think someone had said that 3 courses on the ALC was a bit of a feat. I thought that they were large but so long as you avoid the tasting pud its comfortably done. (Likewise, I have never been accused of anorexia :biggrin: )

Regarding the comparisons between Anthony's and No.3 I know they shouldn't be compared but when they are two of the three fine dining restaurants locally to you its difficult not to put them side by side as an overall experience. I go through phases regarding what I fancy for my dinner and its great to have such a choice. But man is by gender a list maker and ranker of things :biggrin:

Either one at the mo. is a great choice - I'll need to try the degustation double header when Anthony's is available. Amighty feat of endurance that would be :wacko:

P

Gordon Wallace

• 4 months later...

Cue: violin strings....

It's quite hard working in Leeds, any hint of a bad day, or celebration of a good day, or maybe just a friday and the welcoming arms of Anthony's or Number 3 York Place are mere minutes away.

When i read of 'quail ravioli' on the number 3 website and tarte tatin the desire to book became overpowering so i rang to reserve a table, although despite having the no3 card in my hand i actually rang anthony's the numbers are eerily similar no3 245 9922, anthonys 245 5922!

I knew what i was having to start before i set foot in the restaurant, having seen the menu on the web and shared a bottle of very nice alsacian riesling with denis a few nights previously, Ravioli of Quail, Creamed Savoy Cabbage, Fried Quail’s Egg, Velouté of Thyme. It's pretty much self-explanatory. A large ravioli on the savoy cabbage with a dinky (and runny- key in my opinion) fried egg. Eggs/ ravioli/veloute, just three of my favourite words if the fourth had been tarragon they we would have been really cooking but that wouldn't be appropriate in this dish!

I was indecisive over the main course, (menu attached) but Poached Escalope of Turbot, Crab Ravioli, Sauté Potatoes, asparagus, Shellfish Velouté won out. I hadn't realised that i'd done it again and had another ravioli! the turbot was good and meaty, quite a skill for a fish. the crab ravioli atop good and the saute'd potatoes almost confitted certainly very unctous there may well have been duck/goose fat in there somewhere, the 4 trimmed asparagus arranged compass like and competently cooked.

a little yoghurt/honey/fruit shot kept us amused waiting for the tarte tatin. My friend had a mouthful and was momentarily lost for words. Then uttered 'that's the best tarte tatin i've ever had'. I think it might be a notch below a fantastic banana one i've had before, which was an individual dish, this was a slice, but it was, to paraphrase my hero 'quite historic'.

Wines are a particular strength here as co-owner denis is a sommelier by trade, we enjoyed a 98' sauzet bourgogne and a 98 domaine d'arlot cote d'nuits village. i messed up the desert wine by ordering a red when i wanted a white by mistake but just goes to show i don't know everything. Yet.

still highly recommended and still to my mind a text book 1 star restaurant. Hopefully leeds will be the story of next years michelin as both no 3 and anthony's get the star they both deserve.

cheers

gary

Ravioli of Quail, Creamed Savoy Cabbage,

Fried Quail’s Egg, Velouté of Thyme

£8.95

Terrine of Foie Gras & Duck Confit,

Spicy Pear Chutney, Toasted Brioche

£11.95

Velouté of Smoked Haddock

£4.95

Pan Fried Sea Scallops with Tiger Prawn Tempura, Pumpkin Purée, Sweet & Sour Sauce

£12.95

Risotto of English Lobster

£12.95

Carpaccio of Beef, Parmesan & White Truffle Oil

£7.95

Terrine of Rabbit, Leeks & Foie gras,

Pickled Onions, Horseradish Cream

£9.95

Poached Escalope of Turbot, Crab Ravioli,

Sauté Potatoes, Asparagus, Shellfish Velouté

£20.95

Steamed Fillet of Sea Bass Farci,

Buttered Spinach, Tomato Butter Sauce

£18.95

Navarin of Roast Fish, Buttered Noodles, Root Vegetables,

New Potatoes, Red Wine & Five Spice Sauce

£14.95

Roast Fillet of Beef, Ballotine of Braised Beef Shin,

Mushroom Farce, Root Vegetables, Red Wine Sauce

£19.95

Braised Pig’s Trotter stuffed with Black Pudding,

Veal Sweetbreads & Chicken, Pomme Purée, Essence of Morels

£ 17.95

Roast Saddle of Venison, Pumpkin Fondant, Celeriac Purée, Chocolate & Raspberry Sauce

£16.95

Pot Roast Breast of Corn Fed Chicken,

Confit Chicken Leg & Mushroom Pie, Braised Leeks,

Fricassée of Wild Mushrooms, Velouté of Thyme

£ 13.95

Squab Pigeon roasted with Honey, Foie gras Parfait,

Pomme fondant, Buttered Savoy Cabbage, Jus Roti

£19.95

Feuillantine of Caramelised Pear, Ginger Cream,

Lime Sorbet, Caramel Syrup

£6.95

Hot Mango Soufflé with Pineapple Sorbet & Mango Sauce

£6.95

Pyramid of Nougat Glacé & Passion Fruit Sorbet

£6.95

Trio of Chocolate

£6.95

Tarte Tatin of Cox’s Apples, Vanila Ice cream, Caramel Sauce

£6.95

Assiette of Desserts

£ 12.95

£ 7.95

Caw, why do I have to live in bleedin' London?! Why can't I live in a PROPER food town like Leeds!

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 2 months later...

What with Holidays, drains on resources such as the star, l'enclume (and mrs marshall trying to restrict my restaurant spending mad.gif ) and colleagues wanting to go for beers in all bar one, keeping me away from my trips to no 3 i felt the need for a visit to catch up with denis and see what's new on their ALC.

Although there were potentially more exciting things on the starters, in the interests of financial prudence i had the roast chicken soup with tarragon oil, a veritable bargain at £4.95. Those of you lucky (?) enough to have dined with me will know that i will almost always order anything tarragon related, it's like human cat nip for me! ( and if you aren't fortunate to have cats you will have no idea of what i'm talking about, if you have cats you'll know exactly what i'm talking about!). Suffice to say it was a 'proper' soup made from a roux base with a creamy texture and droplets of highly flavoured tarragon oil.

For the main course i was torn between the loin of Loin of Rabbit with a Cinnamon Brioche Crust, Fricassée of Frog’s Legs, Buttered Noodles, Carrot Purée,

Velouté of Pommery Mustard or the Canon of Local Lamb Poached & Roasted, Crushed New Potatoes, Young Vegetables, Jus Roti, Sauce Polaise.

As denis rightly mentioned you don't normally get rabbit and frogs legs in north yorkshire so i went for the rabbit, i will return for the lamb, as paloise is a bearnaise, made with mint rather than tarragon- don't get me started on butter based sauces!

The rabbit came in three sections of loin perfectly wrapped in breadcrumbs with two decent sized deep fried frogs legs and a textbook pommery mustard sauce sauce, with the carrot puree, althought it tasted great, from an aesthetic point of view i'd have gone for a more neutral coloured base, but hey you can't go wrong with pomme (puree) though to be fair that is available as a side dish, and is robuchon-esque in quality.

with a curry for dinner tonight i passed on desert but was pleased to see black forest gateaux making its return!

full menu below.

cheers

gary

Roast Chicken Soup with Tarragon Oil

£4.95

Ravioli of Goat’s Cheese, Confit Tomato,

Aubergine Caviar, Balsamic Vinegar

£8.95

Chicken Liver & Foie Gras Parfait,

Black Grape Compote, Toasted Brioche

£10.95

Roast Breasts of Wood Pigeon with Wild Mushroom Risotto,

Fried Quail’s Egg, Wild Mushroom Velouté

£9.95

Pan Fried Sea Scallops with Curried Calamari,

Carrot Purée, Cumin Caramel

£12.95

Ballotine of Duck Foie Gras, Carpaccio of Smoked Goose,

Apple Remoulade, Fig Purée, Pain d’épices

£11.95

Scottish Langoustines 3 ways

£14.95

Roast fillet of Sea Bass, Lasagne of Crab, Braised Fennel,

Ginger Cream, Red Wine Reduction

£20.95

Steamed Fillet of Salmon with a Marinière of Shellfish,

Calamari, Young Vegetables & Basil

£14.95

Halibut Roasted on the Bone, Garlic & Potato Purée,

Caramelised Salsify, Wild Mushrooms, Wild Mushroom Velouté

£17.95

Roast Fillet of Beef with Braised Ox Cheek,

White Onion Purée, Paris Brown Mushrooms, Red Wine Sauce

£19.95

Belly Pork braised with 5 Spices, Buttered Spinach, Seared Foie Gras,

Jerusalem Artichoke Purée, Baby Onions, Truffle Jus

£ 16.95

Canon of Local Lamb Poached & Roasted, Crushed New Potatoes,

Young Vegetables, Jus Roti, Sauce Polaise

£18.95

Loin of Rabbit with a Cinnamon Brioche Crust,

Fricassée of Frog’s Legs, Buttered Noodles, Carrot Purée,

Velouté of Pommery Mustard

£18.95

Roast Breast of Gressingham Duck

with a Salad of Duck Confit &Young Leafs, Sweet Potato Fondant,

Buttered Savoy Cabbage, Sweet & Sour Sauce

£17.95

Crème Brûlée scented with Ginger,

Rhubarb Compote, Strawberry Sorbet & Jus

£6.95

Hot Pistachio Soufflé with Pistachio Ice Cream & Chocolate Sauce

£6.95

Iced Lemon Chiboust with Lemon Curd,

Orange Tuile, Citrus Fruit Marmalade & Sauce Suzette

£6.95

Black Forest Gateau, Cherry Sorbet, Cherry Syrup

£6.95

Cox’s Apple Roasted in Caramel,

Iced Vanilla Parfait, Sablé Biscuit, Caramel Ice Cream

£6.95

Assiette of Desserts

£ 12.95

£ 7.95

• 4 weeks later...

i really shouldn't have done given lunch at middlethorpe/races the day before but given a dull day i needed cheering up so i headed off to no3.

although i toyed with the idea of some ALC dishes i was in comfort food mode so went for the white onion soup which was very good and my 'usual' pot roast chicken jus roti and pomme puree.

it was just what the doctor ordered, the restaurant was full and buzzing by the time i left and i'll be back soom to try the new ALC which denis hopes will be up and running by the weekend.

as an aside i sent a friend of mine to no3 for his wedding anniversary, his mrs had been watching hell's kitchen and wanted to go to a top place! as they are muslim i warned denis that they wouldn't be drinking and would probably stick to fish/veggie.

Not only did they take this in their stride they remade stocks & sauces with no alcohol in them especially for them as virtually everything they make has alcohol in it somewhere. A good example of the professionalism of this restaurant.

cheers

gary

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

• 2 months later...

I have the set lunch regularly at no3, it is well priced and well executed. Last week i had a very good fishcake, well two actually perfectly spherical and evenly coated balls with a tomato butter sauce. Simple but made and cooked with care and precision.

To follow was duck Confit with Celeriac Dauphinoise, Buttered Savoy Cabbage and a Port Wine Sauce. It was all textbook and given the size of the leg it must have been swimming near some sort of nuclear power plant, For £14.50 this is good value given this also included a decent gaspacho amuse and as much freshly baked bread and butter as you can eat, in my case a fair bit!

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

• 2 months later...