• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

no 3 york place

that's quite a difficult one. We had lunch at anthony's yesterday and my wife thinks they are both quite similar, i think they are almost chalk and cheese!

As a rough generalisation, anthony's is a definite foodie place, go to try something you've never had before and to eat at what i think will become a very significant restaurant in the uk.

no3 is more a classic restaurant, refined french comfort food, better wine list than anthonys and a great overall experience.

to give you broad terms of reference anthony's is like the fat duck in whilst no3 is ramsay royal hospital road.

both are currently unstarred but i don't think that will last for long.

if you want to meet up let me know, and i'd book quickly as both are becoming really popular

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

Gary,

Can I ask:

1.  How many of you shared the one bottle of champers, one bottle of white and one of red?; and

2.  Which industry you work in?

I'm clearly in the wrong one!

there were five of us.

i thought we were quite restrained :biggrin:

gary

anthony's is a definite foodie place, go to try something you've never had before and to eat at what i think will become a very significant restaurant in the uk.

no3 is more a classic restaurant, refined french comfort food, better wine list than anthonys and a great overall experience.

bugger - anthony's is closed on monday nights

no 3 now booked

cheers, tony

This thread has been torturing and delighting me over recent weeks so finally got to No 3 York Place on Friday with a friend, and had a very civilised evening indeed (starting with champagne on a bank holiday weekend usually does that!)

We'd decided to eat early to take advantage of the early bird type deal, so at £18.50 for three courses - this was stunning value - in fact it was practically free! Food was as impressively executed as I'd been led to believe - our starters were the veloute of cauliflower and ham hock terrine with celeriac remoulade.

Then onto loin of beef with pomme puree, and chicken on spinach and truffle oil risotto. Must have been good because even the waiter commented on very clean plates (well, shopping does give you an appetite!)

The lovely waiting staff gave us a bit of rest before we asked for dessert of chocolate souffle with milk ice cream and vanilla cream with red fruits. Again - marvellous but why didn't anyone tell me that the portions were so generous?! Despite the lightness of the souffle, could only manage the top 2 inches ... And this despite my long standing belief that humans have a separate stomach for desserts so there should always be enough room.

in fact the only part I didn't think was such a hit was the raspberry cream pre-dessert. But only because the texture was a little too reminiscent of blancmange for my tastes.

We had intended to eat early and then head off elsewhere for the evening, but ended up spending pretty much all evening there. All quite marvellous and intend to be heading back soon. In fact, I commented to my friend that in future, if I had a bad day at work and a(nother) crap drive home up the M42 and M1, then I might not be able to resist scuttling through the door for just a simple course or two off the ALC. Any excuse eh?!

• 1 month later...

A not unproductive day for a change in what’s been very difficult times saw the opportunity to head off to Number 3.

I knew the Menu had changed so it was in the back of my mind to get myself there and have a sample. Usually I head for the set lunch but once seated I checked the new menu and once I saw ‘egg yolk ravioli’ unfortunately for the wallet and waist it was going to be ALC.

An amuse of gazpacho started the meal, it was nicely spicy and a decent palette livener.

The Ravioli came promptly and looked great, a single large ravioli on crushed potatoes with peeled asparagus tips and a really sharp hollandaise over the top. The moment of truth was upon us, would it be a runny egg yolk…..

Yes it was!

How do they cook the pasta and not overcook the egg? well I know now but it will take a large bribe (ok then, a pint) for me to tell you, but it was an excellent display of the kitchen’s technique. – I won’t be at all surprised to see them regain their Michelin star this time round.

Although there were several interesting dishes on the main courses, I do have a fondness for their chicken preparations and also tarragon. As the dish came with both a tarragon veloute and tarragon risotto it was a done deal, and good value I thought at £13.95. Nothing disappointed the plating looked very sophisticated and ‘French’, with tender carved veg garnish.

Didn’t have time/room for pud but they have been updated today too, so I’ll leave you with the menu and the thought that with a bit of planning it’s only 2 hours and £19 away from londinium. Or 10 minutes walk from my office!

A la carte Menu

(Updated 17.05.04)

Lunch & Dinner Monday-Friday

Dinner on Saturday

Red Mullet & Saffron Soup with Gruyère Cheese, Rouille & Croûtons £ 4.95

Terrine of Duck Foie Gras, Sauterne Jelly, Black Grape Chutney, toasted Brioche £ 9.95

Ravioli of Poached Hens Egg, Buttered Asparagus, Crushed New Potatoes, Hollandaise Sauce £6.95

Poached Oysters with Sea Scallop Mousseline, Cucumber, Avruga Caviar Cream £10.95

Ballotine of Rabbit, Smoked Bacon & Wild Mushrooms, Pickled Globe Artichokes, Essence of Cepes £ 9.95

Sea Scallops Roasted with Sesame Seeds, Crispy Pork Belly, Asian Salad, Sweet & Sour Sauce £ 13.95

Terrine of Smoked Salmon, Curry Butter, Minted Yoghurt, New Potato Salad £7.95

Roast Fillet of Cod with Braised Ox Tail, Root Vegetables, Herb Gnocchi £ 15.95

Pan Fried Fillet of Red Mullet, Crushed New Potatoes, Aubergine Caviar, Sauce Vierge £ 14.95

Roast Tranche of Halibut, Wild Mushroom Ravioli, Garlic Pomme Purée, Caramelised Salsify, White Truffle Cream £17.95

Fillet of Beef, Young Spinach, Fricassée of Wild Mushrooms, Foie Gras Cromesquis, Red Wine Sauce £18.95

Herb Roast Saddle of Lamb, Rillette of Confit Lamb Shoulder, Tomato Farci, Smoked Aubergine Purée, Jus Roti £18.95

Pork “Three Ways”

Belly Braised with Spices, Roast Fillet & Braised Trotter filled with Black Pudding & Ham Hock, Pomme Purée, Savoy Cabbage, Honey & Clove Sauce £ 17.95

Pot roast Breast of Corn fed Chicken, Confit Chicken & Tarragon Risotto, Fricassée of Young Vegetables, Tarragon Velouté £13.95

Breast of Barbary Duck Roasted with Crushed Black Peppercorns & Honey, Cider Potato, Beetroot Purée, Choux Farci, Port Wine Sauce £ 15.95

Side Order: Panaché de Légumes or Pomme Purée £ 3.95

Lemon Three Ways (Hot Lemon Soufflé, Lemon Meringue Pie & Iced Lemon Chiboust Parfait)

£ 6.95

Hot Apricot Soufflé with Almond Ice Cream, Apricot & Cointreau Jellys £ 6.95

Crème Brûlée with Rhubarb Compote, Strawberry Sorbet & Strawberry Jus £6.95

Warm Fondant of Dark Chocolate & Coffee, Milk Ice cream, Espresso Syrup £ 6.95

Pyramid of Passion Fruit Sorbet & Nougat Glacé £ 6.95

Assiette of Desserts

£ 12.95

Selection of English & French Farmhouse Cheeses

£ 7.95

All prices include VAT 10% service charge will be added to your bill!

Smokers are quite welcome to use the bar area during food service!

Many Thanks!

Gary

Based on your extensive experience of No 3 how long do you think this menu will run for?

There are things on here that shout eat me! eat me! just how soon do I have to get down there?

David

Re - the egg yolk miracle,

very clever I am sure, but does it actually add anything to the dish, over say having a poached or fried egg instead?

Of course, it would be a bit gastropub brunch, but hey, I like brunchy things.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

:wink: Went for Dinner on Saturday.

Overall very impressed, perhaps moreso than on last 2 visits (When it was still Guellers I think)

Dont get up to Leeds very often but was looking forwards to meal here, after a long (successful) day at the races.

was only around 60% full when we arrived at 9pm, and I don't think more than one party came after us, I find this surprising, was expecting it to be more busy.

Found the amuse (tomato gaspatchp) a little acidic, perhaps too much vinegar (white wine I think), this was the only disappointment. Excellent bread, I find it much better to only have an option of two breads and have them excecuted very well, than 5-6 of lesser quality.

With the luck day at Haydock, decided to go for the 1997 Engel Grand Echeaux. This was at a pretty good 100% mark up on retail, and overall I thought the wine well priced, although some mark ups were higher than others. Took Denis' advice here, I was torn between this and the Vougout, but was not disappointed. Excellent wine, served in good stems (rare to have suitable glasses for a Grand Cru Burg).

Starter I took the egg ravioli, was very good, I assume the egg is poached first? Didn't ask, the potato and asparagus were good, only disappointment was the pasta which I found slightly thick, parhaps needed due to the egg inside? Or maybe comparisons with the pasta on the lobester ravioli at Gordon Ramsay RHR are not fair. My wife took the scallops with pork belly, a huge portion, three great juicy scallops sat on a big chunk of tender belly. I had to help out with 1/3rd of it! oh well! :smile:

Mains again large portions, I went for the trio or Pork. Remember the stuffed trotters from last time, but a much smaller porton (being one of the trio)worked well, as I find the skin heavy going after a while, but worked well, with very good black pudding. The belly and loin also perfectly cooked, despite the lack of veg (a little mash under the belly, and savoy cabbage under the loin) the quantity and richness almost stopped me finishing.

The wifes steak was perfectly cooked (it isnt very often that a rare steak somes out still good and pink in the centre, the way it does in France). The fois gras 'ball' worked well and was neither too rich or overpowering.

Couldnt manage desert, this is an absolute first for me, but thought the port and desert wine tastings were a great idea!.

Long chat with Denis at the end about our impending trip to Burgundy was very informative, he is an absolute asset to the place.

One complaint is the table spacing, although the room shape may demand it, and I have been to places with lots less room, the tables meant that we could overhear every word of the couple next to us. It seems Hell's Kitchen has given people a new vocabulary of food complaints that are applied completly arbitrarily! The couple complained throughout (baby carrots are salty! there were only 3 tiny (0.3mm thick carrots). Everyone wants to play at being GR!

Overall a great meal, will go back

Re - the egg yolk miracle,

very clever I am sure, but does it actually add anything to the dish, over say having a poached or fried egg instead?

Of course, it would be a bit gastropub brunch, but hey, I like brunchy things.

well the interest lies in the technique for me and of course my love of butter sauces and eggs!

winteringham fields have long had a egg yolk ravioli but from memory the ravioli is two fine sheets of pasta with a separated egg yolk sandwiched between, the no3 version is an enclosed ravioli.

if any gastropub can compete with this level of technique i'd like to go!

cheers

gary

lovely report and well done on your sucess at the races...makes me sad i have to put my trip to leeds back...

do you think hell's kitchen will make lots of people start demanding fried eggs in posh restaurants?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

:wink: Went for Dinner on Saturday.

Overall very impressed, perhaps moreso than on last 2 visits (When it was still Guellers I think)

Dont get up to Leeds very often but was looking forwards to meal here, after a long (successful) day at the races.

was only around 60% full when we arrived at 9pm, and I don't think more than one party came after us, I find this surprising, was expecting it to be more busy.

Found the amuse (tomato gaspatchp) a little acidic, perhaps too much vinegar (white wine I think), this was the only disappointment. Excellent bread, I find it much better to only have an option of two breads and have them excecuted very well, than 5-6 of lesser quality.

With the luck day at Haydock, decided to go for the 1997 Engel Grand Echeaux. This was at a pretty good 100% mark up on retail, and overall I thought the wine well priced, although some mark ups were higher than others. Took Denis' advice here, I was torn between this and the Vougout, but was not disappointed. Excellent wine, served in good stems (rare to have suitable glasses for a Grand Cru Burg).

Starter I took the egg ravioli, was very good, I assume the egg is poached first? Didn't ask, the potato and asparagus were good, only disappointment was the pasta which I found slightly thick, parhaps needed due to the egg inside? Or maybe comparisons with the pasta on the lobester ravioli at Gordon Ramsay RHR are not fair. My wife took the scallops with pork belly, a huge portion, three great juicy scallops sat on a big chunk of tender belly. I had to help out with 1/3rd of it! oh well! :smile:

Mains again large portions, I went for the trio or Pork. Remember the stuffed trotters from last time, but a much smaller porton (being one of the trio)worked well, as I find the skin heavy going after a while, but worked well, with very good black pudding. The belly and loin also perfectly cooked, despite the lack of veg (a little mash under the belly, and savoy cabbage under the loin) the quantity and richness almost stopped me finishing.

The wifes steak was perfectly cooked (it isnt very often that a rare steak somes out still good and pink in the centre, the way it does in France). The fois gras 'ball' worked well and was neither too rich or overpowering.

Couldnt manage desert, this is an absolute first for me, but thought the port and desert wine tastings were a great idea!.

Long chat with Denis at the end about our impending trip to Burgundy was very informative, he is an absolute asset to the place.

One complaint is the table spacing, although the room shape may demand it, and I have been to places with lots less room, the tables meant that we could overhear every word of the couple next to us. It seems Hell's Kitchen has given people a new vocabulary of food complaints that are applied completly arbitrarily! The couple complained throughout (baby carrots are salty! there were only 3 tiny (0.3mm thick carrots). Everyone wants to play at being GR!

Overall a great meal, will go back

glad you enjoyed it.

My trip also reminded me just how good it is here and how much i enjoy it. Think i'll have to stump up for the alc more often rather than the set lunch :sad:

wine service is a particular strong point here, denis knows his stuff and as you say they have the appropriate glasses which is a strong point. I also enjoy the particularly good array of digestifs too :wacko:

i think the ravioli is a little thicker than usual to protect the egg yolk, if it were a different filling i think you'd find it as RHR.

i think you're right about hell's kitchen though, no way would diners have sent back half of the dishes if they were in rhr, claridges etc and i suspect restaurateurs will now have to put up with a whole load of uniformed comment- as if egullet wasn't bad enough :wink:

the veg i had on friday was soo al dente/buttery/salty i kept it on the table after i'd finished and munched away on the leftovers :biggrin:

cheers

gary

The ravioli with egg yolk (surrounded by spinach, ricotta) is a claasic old school Bologna dish - often served with flecks of black truffle. You only need to cook it for a couple of minutes, so the yolk is cooked enough, but still runny.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

If the pasta is thin enough, and fresh enough, you should only need a minute or two (and so wouldn't need to freeze it); which is enough to raise the egg yolk temperature high enough to 'cook' it (think custard) without actually setting it.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

i think you're right about hell's kitchen though, no way would diners have sent back half of the dishes if they were in rhr, claridges etc and i suspect restaurateurs will now have to put up with a whole load of uniformed comment- as if egullet wasn't bad enough :wink:

Yes Gary,but we also get to tell guests to " fuck off you pleb"" :biggrin:

Basildog,

When I sell out of Krug 88, shall we go to Leeds on a fact-finding, Porsche-burning, belt-buying, selfless expense account pilgrimage of culinary and vinous faith? Perhaps in mid-October or even mid November, or what-the-hell mid August?

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

a warm yarkshire welcome awaits padstow's finest :biggrin:

then at least you might be able to put into context my drunken ramblings comparing black pig/anthony's and ripley's/no 3.

gary

What is it, Gary? Do you not compare family?

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall