• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

no 3 york place

Gary should be getting a research fee for all the times Jay's followed him somewhere.

well he did pay his fair share despite not drinking, and it really is cruelty to leave a southern reviewer to his own devices up north !

it was a very good lunch, everybody apart from Jay got home much later and drunker than expected!

you don't win friends with salad

Gary should be getting a research fee for all the times Jay's followed him somewhere.

well he did pay his fair share despite not drinking, and it really is cruelty to leave a southern reviewer to his own devices up north !

it was a very good lunch, everybody apart from Jay got home much later and drunker than expected!

Speak for your bloody self Marshall :shock::wink: Thom and I behaved particularly well, I thought.

I am intrigued though Jay. The review refers to four friends and you? Now I know that Marshall is a greedy bugger - but not even he actually constitutes two whole people- but then again.

Incidentally- Gary re Jay's review- did you "read it vicariously?" :biggrin::wink:

A fine lunch, I particularly liked the poached oysters and caviar- but wasn't as keen as Jay with the accompanying pasta. My wood pigeon was excellent though and the sarladaise potatoes horribly bad, but horribly good. I'll ignore the fact that Gary didn't believe me when I said how they were cooked and had to check with the MD. You'll know better next time :wink:

I am intrigued though Jay. The review refers to four friends and you? Now I know that Marshall is a greedy bugger - but not even he actually constitutes two whole people- but then again.

Just looked at it. It starts in the third person plural - 'these men', 'they order' - and half way through para one, swaps to first person plural - 'we managed...' becoming inclusive. I was both part of the four friends at the beginning, and the narrator of their exploits, further on. Here endeth the lesson (in how to write the over-wrought)

Edited by jayrayner (log)

Jay

I may be mistaken, but I do think the intro paragraph above the article itself refered to 'Jay and four friends'.

So, it's either a lowly sub editor's fault, or Mr Rayner brought along Rodney, the invisible friend he has had since childhood who makes him do bad things...

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

'Standfirsts'! That's the technical term I was looking for.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

• 5 months later...

Change is afoot at Number 3.

where Senderens leads, leeds follows!

despite having a good following for their modern french cuisine the market in leeds (ex- anthony's) seems to be heading towards more casual dining and after five years the owners chef Martel & maitre d' Denis have decided on a reinvention.

So the tasting menu, table cloths, amuses, pre-desserts and huge wine list will go ( :sad: ) and in its place a 10 choice starters/mains menu with starters under £10, mains under £20 and Desserts £5. The wine list will be a more concise 15 whites/15 reds. It will also be open 7 days a week.

The aim is to keep the quality and standards (and indeed many of the old favourites will appear as specials) but make the restaurant more accessible to the goodly folk of leeds.

given the restaurant is basically in an upmarket modern brasserie format anyway with a central banquette this idea looks emminently sensible to me, number 3 always deserved greater recognition and hopefully this is one way they will achieve it.

(and 1st september is a friday, wonder where i can go for lunch :laugh: )

• 3 months later...

(and  1st september is a friday, wonder where i can go for lunch  :laugh: )

well i didn't wait for friday had a quick couple of courses today.

to the unitiated not a lot has changed, there are no table cloths (proper napkins though) but other than that it still has the same feel as the No3 of old, the staff remain the same too.

menu is not casual dining but is simpler than before and attractively priced. the most expensive main i think was steak & bearnaise at £15 there's a good level of choice and the menu is not at all dumbed down, it's just the prices are more accessible.

sad to see the old wine list go but there's still plenty of choice and for the serious oenophiles there's a 'fonds du cave' with a few of denis's specials that he was loath to sell on! i was particularly taken with the cheapest wine on the list, their house white a ugni blanc blend that was really drinkable and excellent value at £3 a 175ml glass.

after a selection of sliced fresh breads & butter, i had a goats cheese & roasted red onion tart, this dish looked excellent, a small rectangle of filo, three circles of cheese with the roasted onions underneath, set around was an artfully arranged selection of sald leaves with pine kernals and reduced balsamic dressing.

My main was a veal escalope, with pomme puree, caper & parsley dressing again very good about £14 i think.

Didn't have a dessert but many of the old no3 favourites were present and correct at £5 a throw.

i think it will work well in leeds there are many places at this price point such as living room/restaurant bar & grill etc but they don't match the execution, creativity and personal touches that you get at number 3.

and it's now open 7 days a week!

• 3 years later...

Tried to go for lunch here today, (it has always been good value) but very disappointed to discover that it has closed and there is a sign advertising "fully furnished restaurant to let". A great loss to the Leeds food scene in my view.

Simon

I recommend googling "surpluswine" and you may discover something of a tale about York Place and fine wine sales to the public that apparently didn't materialise. The story was covered by You and Yours on R4 and also hit the local press as well as the forum on winepages.