• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Table Dancing: The Moody Foodie

Fat Guy

I'll stand corrected but I think the term 'foodie' was created in the '80's (Paul Levy), and was always supposed to be slightly disparaging. In the same way that calling yourself a yuppie (SP?) was really.

I don't like the term, but it's come into common usage to describe someone with a particular interest in food. As such I tend to use it often, cringing as I type. I might describe myself as 'a bit of a foodie', although I'm in honesty more of a Gourmet, using the term as Brillant-Savarin did. But then again sometimes I'm a foodie of the base kind, almost a food slut. I always feel dirty afterwards, but sated. I suppose there will always be a difficulty in choosing a term to describe someone with a hobby interest in food, the food industry would call us customers I guess.

To continue the connection with a sex, maybe a Foodologist, like a Sexologist? No that wont work. Gastrodity? Certainly describes some of the less successful attempts I've made in the kitchen.

I think tonight, Matthew, I'll be an epicure...

I think tonight, Matthew, I'll be an epicure...

Epicure?

Sounds like an elixir they used to sell on radio shows back in the '30's.

Or the latest RonCo hair removal product.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What about "gastronome?"

Then we'd have to have Gastroelves and Gastrohobbits, even Gastrorcs! And there would be one gas ring to rule us all- and I can't face a life of one pot cooking, even if it does save on the washing up.

How about Gastronaut, to boldly go in search of new dishes...or Gastrojedi, the Flavour is strong in this one Master Luke?

Or how about Epiquestrian, I don't ride 'em I eat 'em mush?