• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for aspiring writers?

We recently had a fabulous eGCI class on food writing by David Leite. It mostly covered the business as far as getting into publications are concerned. Do you have any recommendations for the aspiring food writer that is well underway with a book?

Nay, I'm not published enough to warrant an agent. Would working on journal or magazine publications first be an easier "in" to the publishing industry?

We are thrilled that you are here and so accessible to us

Thanks, Caroline. I actually think David Leite's forum was so good and complete, I would have very little to add. Publication in newspapers and/or magazines is certainly an excellent entree, but I think the key to being published in book form is a good strong original idea framed in a consise well-written proposal accompanying samples of recipes or stories.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.