• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Recommendations

It often seems to me that wine recommendations in cookbooks are added as an afterthought. Do you believe that it is more useful to the reader to include specific recommendations for individual recipes or is more effective to include a more general chapter about food and wine matching?

I don't really feel qualified to write about wine, and so I rarely suggest a pairing, not unless one has particularly struck me. Also, much of the food I write about is from Islamic countries and doesn't benefit from being accompanied by wine. Southwest France is a great exception, but that book was very long and, again, I could only parrot the suggestions of an expert advisor.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.