• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Managing fat content

Hi Paula,

Thanks for doing a Q&A!

It's been two decades since The Cooking of South-West France appeared (a work of art, by the way!). In it you discuss methods for managing the healthful qualities of what is normally characterized as heavy, fatty food -- certainly not a cuisine someone on a diet would instinctively turn to anyway. From degreasing techniques to temperature control to selection of which fats and oils to use, you present a great case for managing the fat content of these dishes.

Is there anything you would change or update in these techniques and fat selections today?

Andrew (not on a diet, just curious)

Hi Andrew: Thanks for your very generous remarks about my SouthWest French cookbook. I'm just starting a revision of it. When it's republished it will have color photographs. I plan to update some of the recipes, drop some and add new ones, but I'll probably leave the fats chapter pretty much as is. After all, the people of the SouthWest live longer than anywhere in France!

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Hi Andrew: Thanks for your very generous remarks about my SouthWest French cookbook. I'm just starting a revision of it. When it's republished it will have color photographs. I plan to update some of the recipes, drop some and add new ones, but I'll probably leave the fats chapter pretty much as is. After all, the people of the SouthWest live longer than anywhere in France!

This is great news!! I will be patiently awaiting the re-release. It is great to hear that there will be photos and that the fats section will remain unchanged.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog