Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tricks with brussel sprouts


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Nor are you mentioning how drunk they (or you) were.

 

Annual thank you lunch at husband's business.     No booze.    Diet Coke as wild as it got.  

But, seriously, I've never had a good pig in blanket.   I know they are a specialty of yours.    How about a delicious recipe?   Maybe start a new thread rather than muddle this one.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a real problem persuading my Chinese friends that Brussel sprouts even exist. I even went out of my way to take a picture of one when I was in the UK in 2019. They all think I Photoshopped it and it's really a full size cabbage.

 

1220412987_brusselsprout.thumb.jpg.c4d27c973d9aec37b2d6bcae5b2acb70.jpg

 

Anyway, when I'm in places which have them (i.e. not China), my favourite treatment is to simply half them and stir fry them with garlic and ginger, a splash of Shaoxing wine and a drop of Zhengjiang black vinegar.

 

  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, weinoo said:

Nor are you mentioning how drunk they (or you) were.

 

Didn't I already mention elsewhere how Jacques likes to make Brussels sprouts - sliced on his Ankarsrum with a knife?

 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=374394013829550

 

And Howard Johnson's served melted ice cream.  Jacques and his capitalist cronies scarred my childhood.  Why should I trust him with my Brussels sprouts?

 

In the end I briefly blanched them whole as I almost invariably do.  Delicious.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, weinoo said:

Nor are you mentioning how drunk they (or you) were.

 

Didn't I already mention elsewhere how Jacques likes to make Brussels sprouts - sliced on his Ankarsrum with a knife?

 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=374394013829550


 

I’ll eat Brussels sprouts just about any way.  Love them.   
My most common method of prep is cut in half and roasted in the oven  but shredding them and cooking stove top is a close second 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Annual thank you lunch at husband's business.     No booze.    Diet Coke as wild as it got.  

But, seriously, I've never had a good pig in blanket.   I know they are a specialty of yours.    How about a delicious recipe?   Maybe start a new thread rather than muddle this one.

 

Yeah - wink wink on the no booze. And probably no other intoxicating substances either. There certainly weren't at any annual lunches I attended in the Bay Area wink wink.

 

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

And Howard Johnson's served melted ice cream.  Jacques and his capitalist cronies scarred my childhood.  Why should I trust him with my Brussels sprouts?

 

In the end I briefly blanched them whole as I almost invariably do.  Delicious.

 

 

 

I think the reasons you're scarred are many and varied.  New Jersey might be one. And you ought complain about the franchisee, not Jacques.

 

  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...