• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tricks with brussel sprouts

SobaAddict70

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Nor are you mentioning how drunk they (or you) were.

Annual thank you lunch at husband's business.     No booze.    Diet Coke as wild as it got.  

But, seriously, I've never had a good pig in blanket.   I know they are a specialty of yours.    How about a delicious recipe?   Maybe start a new thread rather than muddle this one.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

I have a real problem persuading my Chinese friends that Brussel sprouts even exist. I even went out of my way to take a picture of one when I was in the UK in 2019. They all think I Photoshopped it and it's really a full size cabbage.

1220412987_brusselsprout.thumb.jpg.c4d27c973d9aec37b2d6bcae5b2acb70.jpg

Anyway, when I'm in places which have them (i.e. not China), my favourite treatment is to simply half them and stir fry them with garlic and ginger, a splash of Shaoxing wine and a drop of Zhengjiang black vinegar.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 hours ago, weinoo said:

Didn't I already mention elsewhere how Jacques likes to make Brussels sprouts - sliced on his Ankarsrum with a knife?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=374394013829550

And Howard Johnson's served melted ice cream.  Jacques and his capitalist cronies scarred my childhood.  Why should I trust him with my Brussels sprouts?

In the end I briefly blanched them whole as I almost invariably do.  Delicious.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, weinoo said:

Didn't I already mention elsewhere how Jacques likes to make Brussels sprouts - sliced on his Ankarsrum with a knife?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=374394013829550

I’ll eat Brussels sprouts just about any way.  Love them.   
My most common method of prep is cut in half and roasted in the oven  but shredding them and cooking stove top is a close second 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Annual thank you lunch at husband's business.     No booze.    Diet Coke as wild as it got.  

But, seriously, I've never had a good pig in blanket.   I know they are a specialty of yours.    How about a delicious recipe?   Maybe start a new thread rather than muddle this one.

Yeah - wink wink on the no booze. And probably no other intoxicating substances either. There certainly weren't at any annual lunches I attended in the Bay Area wink wink.

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And Howard Johnson's served melted ice cream.  Jacques and his capitalist cronies scarred my childhood.  Why should I trust him with my Brussels sprouts?

In the end I briefly blanched them whole as I almost invariably do.  Delicious.

I think the reasons you're scarred are many and varied.  New Jersey might be one. And you ought complain about the franchisee, not Jacques.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 5 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 6:10 AM, scubadoo97 said:

I’ll eat Brussels sprouts just about any way.  Love them.   
My most common method of prep is cut in half and roasted in the oven  but shredding them and cooking stove top is a close second 

Steamed, cut in half if they are huge, is how we like them. No reason for us to do anything else,

On 12/6/2020 at 8:58 AM, gfweb said:

Halved sprouts, blanched...fried facedown till darkened. Toss w sweet chili sauce. 

I tried this cooking method a few days ago. Let's just say I'm going back to my half then throw into the the pan and fry the everloving shit out of them method. Maybe I left them in the water too long but the texture and flavour were not to my liking.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I may be repeating myself but halved or quartered depending on size. Today tossed with fish sauce and olive oil - roasted 400F. Good off the sheet pan but tossed with a dressing of sharp mustard, lemon juice, cherry brine, coarse black pepper, garlic, and bitter orange marmalade & dried cranberries - quite noteworthy.

• Like 3