• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tricks with brussel sprouts

SobaAddict70

7 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Halved sprouts, blanched...fried facedown till darkened. Toss w sweet chili sauce. 

I always feel I have to cut that with touch of generic plain vinegar. You? BS top of shopping list for tomorrow. 

Our new favorite way to do them is to slice them (small ones in thirds, large ones in fourths), sauté them in ghee, sprinkle with pepper and drizzle with saba.  Salt if needed.  I grew up on them steamed and then split and sautéed in butter, but I like this MUCH more.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

I like to make a salad of cooked Brussels sprouts, raw apple (peeled), blue or gorgonzola cheese, raw celery, and oil/vinegar dressing (with onion & garlic in the dressing).

I like that combo but add Dijon mustard as I think it is great with cruciferous vegetables. I do not peel the apple   (tart like Granny)  and toss in some dried cranberries as well. We like well toasted nuts sprinkled over. Unless the celery is stellar it does not get to play along.

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Our new favorite way to do them is to slice them (small ones in thirds, large ones in fourths), sauté them in ghee, sprinkle with pepper and drizzle with saba.  Salt if needed.  I grew up on them steamed and then split and sautéed in butter, but I like this MUCH more.  

Saba?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

56 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Saba?

I was digging through my under counter corner cupboard a couple of days ago and realized just how many bottles of Saba I have accumulated! I'm going to make some rum and raisin bonbons over the next few days and adding some saba gives a nice raisiny flavor to the filling. But my absolute favorite use is as one of the ingredients for deglazing the pan after cooking a duck breast. 

• Like 5

There's a restaurant in Memphis that periodically has a Brussels sprout side dish I absolutely love. It's a combo of raw shredded sprouts, sprouts shredded and sauteed with burnt ends in a barbecue-ish spice, and topped with crispy-fried whole leaves. I could eat a plateful of it, to the exclusion of all else.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 12/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, kayb said:

There's a restaurant in Memphis that periodically has a Brussels sprout side dish I absolutely love. It's a combo of raw shredded sprouts, sprouts shredded and sauteed with burnt ends in a barbecue-ish spice, and topped with crispy-fried whole leaves. I could eat a plateful of it, to the exclusion of all else.

I think this was the inspiration for last night's dinner. Shredded brussels sprouts, sauteed in olive oil and a bit of butter along with a bit of chopped onion and coins of Farmer John's Louisiana Style hot sausage (the tube steak du jour). I was going for a hash brown / latke sort of consistency, and didn't get that, but the sprouts cooked down and browned admirably.

20201211_060801.jpg

It may not look like much (in fact, I know it doesn't) but it was delicious. I'll be doing it again. Thanks for the idea, kayb!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

As mentioned above my favorite Brussels sprout recipe is to boil whole for 5 minutes.  However I have a new Ankarsrum slicing attachment to play with and a bag of Brussels sprouts.  I might be open to a new preparation.

Ideas for sliced Brussels sprouts?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

These recently braised with guanciale were pretty spectacular

536785208_ScreenShot2021-01-29at6_43_20PM.thumb.png.4c258b61b5d7996d66f9d71026ddde80.png

No guanciale here but I could come up with duck fat.

However the Brussels sprouts in your picture do not look sliced?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

37 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As mentioned above my favorite Brussels sprout recipe is to boil whole for 5 minutes.  However I have a new Ankarsrum slicing attachment to play with and a bag of Brussels sprouts.  I might be open to a new preparation.

Ideas for sliced Brussels sprouts?

Blanched and combined with chopped cranzins and sauteed red onion that were simmered for a few minutes in chicken stock. Salt it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

A crowd pleasing buffet offering is steamed sprouts in a very Dijon mustardy vinaigrette.     

Yes, I always noticed people rushing for the Brussels sprouts before the pigs in blankets on the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yes, I always noticed people rushing for the Brussels sprouts before the pigs in blankets on the buffet.

Yuk it up, but at a going away party for young adults, it was 18-20 year old guys who wolfed the sprouts, several saying that they always thought they hated them but these were mind-changing.    (Dressing = egg yolk, Dijon, minced garlic, s/p, half canola/half olive oil, Meyer lemon juice.)    But then, we didn't offer pigs-in-blankets so there was no direct competition.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

27 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Yuk it up, but at a going away party for young adults, it was 18-20 year old guys who wolfed the sprouts, several saying that they always thought they hated them but these were mind-changing.    (Dressing = egg yolk, Dijon, minced garlic, s/p, half canola/half olive oil, Meyer lemon juice.)    But then, we didn't offer pigs-in-blankets so there was no direct competition.

Nor are you mentioning how drunk they (or you) were.

Didn't I already mention elsewhere how Jacques likes to make Brussels sprouts - sliced on his Ankarsrum with a knife?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=374394013829550

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?