• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tricks with brussel sprouts

SobaAddict70

22 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Some years back I converted a resistant college guy by tossing steamed whole brussels sprouts in a rich, garlicky and mustardy vinaigrette.   

Yes those cruciferous veggies seem to engage in natural partnership with a sharp mustard. I'll except broccoli. 

On 5/30/2019 at 5:46 PM, heidih said:

Yes those cruciferous veggies seem to engage in natural partnership with a sharp mustard. I'll except broccoli. 

I always include mustard (Dijon) in my broccoli salad. I like the way they play off each other.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I always include mustard (Dijon) in my broccoli salad. I like the way they play off each other.

Oh yes - when raw I use it in such salads. And yes Dijon.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:35 AM, chromedome said:

You make a good distinction.    Indicating Dijon, Coleman's or French's actually takes less time than typing "mustard".

eGullet member #80.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Interesting! I wonder if it makes them palatable - perhaps with enough ranch dressing.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Interesting! I wonder if it makes them palatable - perhaps with enough ranch dressing.

Well, I always find sprouts palatable, if cooked correctly - i.e. not boiled.  In fact, I love sprouts and miss them here where they are unknown. In fact, none of my friends beleive me when I describe them, so on my trip back to the UK this summer I bought some just to photograph one. Didn't work. Everyone is convinced I photoshopped a big cabbage onto my hand to make it look small.

1923582554_brusslssprout.thumb.JPG.83b0fb073c0e8e4e35cbfe9ae5927404.JPG

I have never had ranch dressing, whatever it might be, in my life so cannot comment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Well, I always find sprouts palatable, if cooked correctly - i.e. not boiled.  In fact, I love sprouts and miss them here where they are unknown. In fact, none of my friends beleive me when I describe them, so on my trip back to the UK this summer I bought some just to photograph one. Didn't work. Everyone is convinced I photoshopped a big cabbage onto my hand to make it look small.

1923582554_brusslssprout.thumb.JPG.83b0fb073c0e8e4e35cbfe9ae5927404.JPG

I have never had ranch dressing, whatever it might be, in my life so cannot comment.

Ranch dressing is a creamy mixture of buttermilk, some sort of allium, herbs and spices then usually mixed with mayo. It seems to be traditionally served with battered and fried stuff that you'd find as pub grub. There is a thread going right now where people are trying to make the Momofuku version of ranch which is apparently heads and tails above the traditional. 

I am just starring to develop a tolerance for Brussels sprouts in my old age - I guess I grew up with the boiled version as well and the ones I've been enjoying have not been prepared that way!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ranch dressing is a creamy mixture of buttermilk, some sort of allium, herbs and spices then usually mixed with mayo. It seems to be traditionally served with battered and fried stuff that you'd find as pub grub. There is a thread going right now where people are trying to make the Momofuku version of ranch which is apparently heads and tails above the traditional. 

I was joking when I said I didn't know what ranch dressing is, but not joking when I said I've never eaten it or even seen it. Not many ranches round the UK or China, I guess. Anyway it sounds horrible!

One of the very few things my mother can cook well is Brussel sprouts. I was only ever served foul smelling , boiled sprouts at school, as I recall. Sprouts and water should only meet in the irrigation and washing part of the process of delivery to my gullet..

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Shredded BS sauteed with chopped dried cranberries and onions in a splash of chicken stock

Halved and browned BS tossed with maple syrup/bacon/chicken stock...or...dijon, orange marmalade

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Outside of roasting, I like to shred them with a knife and braise with a little butter and  a small amount of diced onion.  Sometimes finishing with a splash of vinegar 

This is one of my favorite ways to cook them.  I saute the leaves in butter getting just a little brown on them. Then sprinkle some nutmeg on them. When they are done, I drizzle a few drops of lemon.

Sometimes, when I'm feeling lazy, I shred them instead of cutting the leaves off.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TicTac said:

The fact that one needs 'tricks' to make these little green devils taste good.....

Just 'sayin ;)

No tricks, just treats

love every way from raw, roasted, fried, grilled, whole, halved or shredded 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've changed my BS cooking method. The browning followed by steaming/poaching  was too variable in doneness, often over-cooked and a PITA in any event.

Now I halve the sprout and blanch in salty water for 2 minutes...pat dry...then face down in a HOT pan with a slick of oil till browned enough. Its faster and gives cooked but crisp bright green sprouts with blackened faces. Very reproducible too.

You can toss them in whatever topping afterwards

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Last night a friend convinced me to reevaluate roast Brussels sprouts.  I halved them and roasted at 250C with steam for 9 minutes.  They were OK.  However I still prefer simply boiling Brussels sprouts for 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I enjoy roasted as has been the trend but also confess to loving them simply boiled My odd preference is lukewarm with a tangy mayo the side. Usually just Dijon as mustard is their cousin.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Just now, Dante said:

My favourite way it to boil them for a few minutes, then melt some Gorgonzola in a pan and saute them in it. 

Sounds good! Will you come clean my pan though? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Sounds good! Will you come clean my pan though? 

lol oddly, I've never had trouble cleaning my pan after, but I do usually let it soak a bit first. 

• Haha 1