• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tricks with brussel sprouts

SobaAddict70

Variation on Jim's version: core & parboil whole sprouts, saute with a BUNCH of garlic and breadcrumbs in oil, then a healthy squeeze of lemon when done.

Delish--and this is from somebody who wouldn't eat these things until a year ago!

Sue

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

• 2 years later...

I mentioned on another thread that I like to roast them on a baking sheet, whole if small, half if large, tossed with bacon drippings, chopped up bacon and cubed apples.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Simmered in chicken broth until barely tender, then sauteed with butter, shallots, and pine nuts.

I can't do this any more because my daughter is highly allergic to pine nuts (!!! what a strange allergy) so we don't bring them into the house any more.

Brussels sprouts were one of my favorite vegetables as a child. I perceived them as "baby cabbages" and ate them by carefully peeling off each leaf.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Here are the Roasted Brussels with Bacon, Bacon Grease and Apple

gallery_2_2104_47700.jpg

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Jason, they look good. They really do. But you'll never ever convince me that brussel sprouts are worth putting in my mouth. I can't do it. I just can't. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You've been traumatized Marlene. I feel sorry for you, I really do.

you'll never ever convince me that brussel sprouts are worth putting in my mouth.  I can't do it.  I just can't. :biggrin:

That's what Dave the Cook used to say about beets ... "life is too short to eat things that taste like dirt" ...and I won't try okra, based on the same idea ... never ever ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 13 years later...

Bumping this up to get some updated info, please!  I love Brussels Sprouts.  I like them steamed until almost done and then quick sauteed in butter in a very hot pan.  Jessica only likes them roasted - like every restaurant in the world is doing them now.  I like them like that, too, but seem to have a hard time getting the right results.  In trying to get a good char on them, mine usually end up too mushy.  Can y'all please help me by giving me VERY precise directions for ending up with crisp/tender, charred sprouts?  Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Bumping this up to get some updated info, please!  I love Brussels Sprouts.  I like them steamed until almost done and then quick sauteed in butter in a very hot pan.  Jessica only likes them roasted - like every restaurant in the world is doing them now.  I like them like that, too, but seem to have a hard time getting the right results.  In trying to get a good char on them, mine usually end up too mushy.  Can y'all please help me by giving me VERY precise directions for ending up with crisp/tender, charred sprouts?  Thanks!!!

I halve the raw sprouts...place face down in a oiled pan add some bacon fat ..cook till face is charred...then add a few tbsp water or broth or orange juice and cover for a minute or so to steam them. You’ll get a feel for how long is enough. Occasionally I overshoot. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I halve the raw sprouts...place face down in a oiled pan add some bacon fat ..cook till face is charred...then add a few tbsp water or broth or orange juice and cover for a minute or so to steam them. You’ll get a feel for how long is enough. Occasionally I overshoot. 

Thanks so much!  I'm assuming that you are talking about doing in a pan on top of the stove.  Do you think I can do them in the oven (I'm doing a lot of them)?  If so, what temp?  I keep seeing 400F.  Does that sound right to you?

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thanks so much!  I'm assuming that you are talking about doing in a pan on top of the stove.  Do you think I can do them in the oven (I'm doing a lot of them)?  If so, what temp?  I keep seeing 400F.  Does that sound right to you?

Yes in a pan on the stove.

I’ve done whole sprouts in the oven at 400 and they Overcooked half the time. IIRC it was like 10 minutes. I’d do a few experiments if I did it again.  I think I’d put 5 oiled sprouts on a sheet pan and test them at 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 minutes or something like that. 

• Thanks 1

@Kim Shook So I just did the experiment. But differently

400 f oven and a pre heated sheet pan

2 halved biggish sprouts and two whole sprouts. At 7 min the halved sprouts were nicely browned and at 185 f. At 9 min they were more browned and at 200 f. They were still just a little crunchy and real tasty and bright green.  Perfect. 

The whole sprouts got to 175 f at 9 min and had no browning and were undercooked   

So I’d do halved big sprouts , oiled, face down in a hot pan in 400 f oven for 9 min. Maybe use bacon fat next time....

• Like 1

There is a restaurant in Memphis, Catherine and Mary's, that does the best Brussels sprouts I have ever had In My Life. I wish to God I could recreate it.

1. Some of the sprouts are halved and sauteed.

2. Some of the sprouts are julienned and raw, or if cooked at all, barely blanched.

3. Some whole sprout leaves are deep fried and crunchy.

4. The whole thing is tossed with shredded burnt ends, and dressed in an oh-so-slightly-sweet, barbecue-y viniagrette.

I'm not sure but what it's the best thing on the menu. Their dishes are designed for sharing. I do not share the sprouts, and make it known to the table that if they want some, we need to order two orders.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

24 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Kim Shook So I just did the experiment. But differently

400 f oven and a pre heated sheet pan

2 halved biggish sprouts and two whole sprouts. At 7 min the halved sprouts were nicely browned and at 185 f. At 9 min they were more browned and at 200 f. They were still just a little crunchy and real tasty and bright green.  Perfect. 

The whole sprouts got to 175 f at 9 min and had no browning and were undercooked   

So I’d do halved big sprouts , oiled, face down in a hot pan in 400 f oven for 9 min. Maybe use bacon fat next time....

How incredibly kind of you!!!!  Thank you so much - that is exactly how I'll do them tomorrow.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

How incredibly kind of you!!!!  Thank you so much - that is exactly how I'll do them tomorrow.  

They needed salt. 🙂

• Thanks 1

@gfweb - since you're up anyway (😊), one more question - I am basically copying your sous vide pork loin that you made 2/3/2019 for my in laws tomorrow night.  You say that the sauce is 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 chix stock.  Do you remember approximately how much of each?  Thank you, again!!!

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@gfweb - since you're up anyway (😊), one more question - I am basically copying your sous vide pork loin that you made 2/3/2019 for my in laws tomorrow night.  You say that the sauce is 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 chix stock.  Do you remember approximately how much of each?  Thank you, again!!!

That’s a tough one. I make it by feel, I’ve done it so often. 

1:1 is about right. With a tsp Dijon and some garlic minced in the sauce pan. And salt. Sometimes I sautée apple slices till they break down a little and add that. 

Id shoot for about a cup of sauce for 4 people so 1/2 cup each. I thicken with corn starch to get it so it coats a spoon but isn’t viscous. 

Apologies for the imprecision. I cook like a grandmother at times. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

That’s a tough one. I make it by feel, I’ve done it so often. 

1:1 is about right. With a tsp Dijon and some garlic minced in the sauce pan. And salt. Sometimes I sautée apple slices till they break down a little and add that. 

Id shoot for about a cup of sauce for 4 people so 1/2 cup each. I thicken with corn starch to get it so it coats a spoon but isn’t viscous. 

Apologies for the imprecision. I cook like a grandmother at times. 🙂

Thank you SO much!  I just showed Mr. Kim the picture of the pork that you made in February and said, "That's what I'm hoping to have for dinner tomorrow night."  He said, "I hope so, too!".  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Cut the sprouts in half.  Follow the directions in the CSO instruction manual.  Personally I prefer my Brussels' sprouts left whole, simply blanched about four minutes in a vast excess of unsalted cooking water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I like them simply oven roasted. Halved first, mixed with olive oil and salt and a little paprika. Ten minutes on a cookie sheet flat side down, then another 10 to 15 minutes flipped over until partly charred but still with a bit of a bite. Sometimes I finish them lightly in the serving dish with a mix of dijon and maple syrup, but not too sweet. Also fun to roast them in bacon fat and then finish with a little vinegar and Steen's Cane Syrup.

The trick to getting a char on them and not letting them get mushy I guess is finding the right heat setting. I think I usually do them around 400F, or maybe a little bit hotter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some years back I converted a resistant college guy by tossing steamed whole brussels sprouts in a rich, garlicky and mustardy vinaigrette.    He begged for the recipe to give his mother.   

Now I prefer to char olive oiled sprouts in a very hot cast iron pan.   

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.