• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Bumping this up to get some updated info, please!  I love Brussels Sprouts.  I like them steamed until almost done and then quick sauteed in butter in a very hot pan.  Jessica only likes them roasted - like every restaurant in the world is doing them now.  I like them like that, too, but seem to have a hard time getting the right results.  In trying to get a good char on them, mine usually end up too mushy.  Can y'all please help me by giving me VERY precise directions for ending up with crisp/tender, charred sprouts?  Thanks!!!

I halve the raw sprouts...place face down in a oiled pan add some bacon fat ..cook till face is charred...then add a few tbsp water or broth or orange juice and cover for a minute or so to steam them. You’ll get a feel for how long is enough. Occasionally I overshoot. 

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Bumping this up to get some updated info, please!  I love Brussels Sprouts.  I like them steamed until almost done and then quick sauteed in butter in a very hot pan.  Jessica only likes them roasted - like every restaurant in the world is doing them now.  I like them like that, too, but seem to have a hard time getting the right results.  In trying to get a good char on them, mine usually end up too mushy.  Can y'all please help me by giving me VERY precise directions for ending up with crisp/tender, charred sprouts?  Thanks!!!

I halve the raw sprouts...place face down in a oiled pan...cook till face is charred...then add a few tbsp water or broth or orange juice and cover for a minute or so to steam them. You’ll get a feel for how long is enough. Occasionally I overshoot.