• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I think I have found My Holy Grail

tryska

I went by the bookstore yesterday on a whim and saw this book sitting on the shelf:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

I was thrilled to find it, especially for myself, because it has recipes for all sorts of things, alongside recipes for making tamarind pulp, or garam masala.

i haven't tried any yet, but after I move i intend on breaking in the new kitchen with a complete meal from this book.

Edited by tryska (log)

Checked out the link my dear, I am not familiar with the book but Neelam Batra whose 1000 reciepe book they are pushing as a cmpanion book is a known author.

However, my experience in life has been to go for quality over quantity. 1000 reciepes for under 10 bucks!

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

i know.

mysteriously i could find no author for this book - judging what i know of my mother's cooking, the quantities look right - they even have several biryani recipes in there - from the extravagant to the simpler. suffice to say i'm fairly impressed in theorynot practice, yet.

Hi,

They have a full series of these books - 1000 Chinese, low-fat, vegetarian etc. No author mentioned for any of them as far as I know. I remember borrowing the Indian version from the library a long time ago - still have the recipes I wrote down from that book. As is the case with so many recipes that I have collected over the years, I have yet to try any of them. The book has a good cross-section of recipes, but I also remember finding some incorrect ones. Perhaps they have revised that edition, I don't know.

Suman