• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon & McPhail

John von Pey

Last weekend I've been offered a bottle of Gordon & McPhail rum from 1974. Because of it's price (120 euro for a bottle) I decided to search for some information first. But I can't find any, not even on the site of Gordon and McPhail.

On this forum, the rum is mentioned three times, but no specific information.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Thanks,

John

John - I've been trying to track down info, too, but haven't been able to find much yet. I did come across an Austrian online retailer offering two GM bottlings, one of which sounds like the one you've been offered. If you can understand a bit of German, check the site at

http://port-morant.potstill.org/produkte/rum

Cheers,

Jay

Where there's a still, there's a way.

Thanks for the information. It seems to be the same rum, produced in 1974 by G & M. But it's 20 euro's a bottle cheaper. Makes me think...

I wrote to G & M, but haven't yet received any information about this rum.

so the search continues :smile:

John..... Interesting question..... I wish people would say what country they were writing from before one can give an answer. Where you are determins were you want to buy it your rum. Are you in Peru or New Zealand.or Australia.or Eupope or the States.......I live in Toronto, Canada and bought this G+M -1974 rum here at our province run licquor store.(LCBO). I also had writen to Scotland, but never recieved an answer.....IF in England this forum has a couple a Spirits Agents that can respond and get it for you..... The same for Germany and Belgium (or is it Holand).

The story in Ontario, was that the LCBO were buying a few dozen cases of single malt scotch and took on a sample case (half case of six), of the rum to make up a skid. This was never listed and it was not noticed for a while amonst the bottles of domestic rums. After I had found it and told a few people it sold out in two weeks. (It had not even got listed on there computer catalogue.).....Price arround $80.00 Canadian.

So here is a suggestion find out who has shippments of G+M single malt scotches.... and maybe they have a half case of the rum...... I doubt that you find it on multi listings or where there is a high inventory the most you will find is a half case...........

................And where are you located anyway.

Good luck .....John .....still rumsearching.

John..... Interesting  question..... I wish people would say what country they were writing from before one can give an answer.

This bottle was offered to me in Amsterdam, at a shop called "Cave Rokin". I myself live in Sittard, in the southern part of The Netherlands, close to the German and the Belgium border.

After next week I have a week-long holliday, and plan to visit Cologne. To be more specific: the Koelner Rum kontor. They claim to have about 300 rums in stock, so this visit must be worthwile :smile:

After next week I have a week-long holliday, and plan to visit Cologne. To be more specific: the Koelner Rum kontor. They claim to have about 300 rums in stock, so this visit must be worthwile  :smile:

John - While you'e in Cologne, you should also visit the Cadenhead's shop. Check their site, www.cadenheads.de, for their address and opening hours. They carry a nice selection of their own 46% abv "Green Label" and caskstrength "Dated Distillation" rums. The Rum Kontor also carries their rums, but they're a bit cheaper at the Cadenhead's shop. If you visit, please be sure to say hello to Markus (the proprietor) for me.

To John Reekie - What are your impressions of the GM '74 Demerara? And for future reference, I'm near Frankfurt, Germany.

Cheers,

Jay

John - While you'e in Cologne, you should also visit the Cadenhead's shop. 

If you visit, please be sure to say hello to Markus (the proprietor) for me.

Hello Jay,

Thanks for the information. But there is a Cadenhead shop in Amsterdam too, so that isn't on my "must visit" list.

Thanks for the information. But there is a Cadenhead shop in Amsterdam too, so that isn't on my "must visit" list.

Hi, John - Yep, I remembered the new shop right after I posted. Haven't been there yet but I'm looking forward to it the next time I'm in Amsterdam. If you're ever in the market for Cadenhead's rums, though, it pays to phone or email around. Each shop has the same current bottlings, but their stocks of older bottlings vary between stores.

Cheers,

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Jay.....Sorry I missed your line back on 11 th October. Its good to know you near Frankfurt . anyway I have not opened the bottle as yet as I am waiting for a very special celebration, which will be in july 2004. It was quite expensive at a Canadian Licquor Store, it was $185.00 Canadian.

They recently carried a small shipment of Bristol Spirits Monymusk 23yr old for $126.00 Canadian.( which happened to be the top of the line of Bristol Spirits)

Always rumsearching .....John

They recently carried a small shipment of Bristol Spirits Monymusk 23yr old for $126.00 Canadian.( which happened to be the top of the line of Bristol Spirits)

Always rumsearching .....John

There also is a Moneymusk 25 years old... Ask CTQM about that

John

• 2 weeks later...

Monymusk 21/23/25 all comes from the same batch of casks, that were distilled in 1976. The 25yo was bottled in 2001 so when that runs out and if there are more casks available then I presume we will be looking at a 28yo+

Whether you get the 23 or 25yo I thik depends on what bottle size you go for. I think that there could be stocks of the 23yo still in 75cl butam not sure about this point.

Personally I have had very few rums that benefit from being aged over 25 years but I am sure that there are some. Similarly to whisky, I was speaking to someone who knows about it who said that most whiskies over 20yo picked up too much wood flavours (or were beginning to) and masked the whisky.