• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinosaur BBQ (NYC)

phaelon56

very interesting. Would be fun if the timing is right....

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

In!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I live just around the corner from the new location so I've been watching developments. The sign is up in front and there are workmen there every time I go by. Haven't been able to get a good peek inside, but they are definitely working long hours to get things together.

I'd love to join in on an egullet visit there. Hadn't heard of the place before but I'm hoping it will be a nice neighborhood hangout. We've been getting a few more places in the area in the last few years (Toast, Radio Perfecto, Pisticci, Blue Angel). But pickings north of Columbia are still a lot slimmer than south of it.

Mary

Hadn't heard of the place before but I'm hoping it will be a nice neighborhood hangout. We've been getting a few more places in the area in the last few years (Toast, Radio Perfecto, Pisticci, Blue Angel). But pickings north of Columbia are still a lot slimmer than south of it.

Mary

If it's anything like the Syracuse and Rochester location it will fit the bill. They typically have a relaxed but pleasantly rowdy atmosphere with biker bar / roadhouse ambiance, above average barbecue (certainly for the Northeast it's way above average) and live blues/roots music most nights.

First pics of the new Dino location are up. There will be plenty of bike parking (as in "hogs" not ten speeds  :biggrin:  )

Dino construction pics

Thanks for the link to the pictures. When I looked at the site the other day they weren't up yet.

When I drove by today it looked like they had put up the front door. But they are digging up the street in front, so its hard to get a good look.

From everyone's description and the website, it seems like this will be similar to the Rodeo Bar, but with BBQ. Does that sound like a good description.

Mary

From everyone's description and the website, it seems like this will be similar to the Rodeo Bar, but with BBQ. Does that sound like a good description?

I haven't been to the Rodeo Bar but looked at their website and read the reviews of it at Citysearch (it seems split down the middle between those who love it and those who hate it but no one raves about the service).

Dino will be more of a roadhouse blues bar atmosphere and will not really have much if any of the faux-Western trappings. Expect the BBQ to be way above average for what one customarily gets in the Northeast. Have you been to Hogs and Heifers? Picture that place in a much larger setting with decent food and no girls dancing on the bar. I think that's a closer fit than comparisons to the Rodeo Bar but in their two existing locations Dino has managed to come up with a character that is all their own. It really is focused on the food more than anything else, thus their self-description as a "honky-tonk rib joint".

I haven't tried Daisy May's, Blue Smoke or Pearson's but I suspect that most will find Dino's 'cue to usually be on par with the best of what those places offer. Although I have heard that Blue Smoke has truly outstanding ribs.

I haven't been to the Rodeo Bar but looked at their website and read the reviews of it at Citysearch (it seems split down the middle between those who love it and those who hate it but no one raves about the service).

Dino will be more of a roadhouse blues bar atmosphere and will not really have much if any of the faux-Western trappings. Expect the BBQ to be way above average for what one customarily gets in the Northeast.  Have you been to Hogs and Heifers? Picture that place in a much larger setting with decent food and no girls dancing on the bar.  I think that's a closer fit than comparisons to the Rodeo Bar but in their two existing locations Dino has managed to come up with a character that is all their own. It really is focused on the food more than anything else, thus their self-description as a "honky-tonk rib joint".

I haven't tried Daisy May's, Blue Smoke or Pearson's but I suspect that most will find Dino's 'cue to usually be on par with the best of what those places offer.  Although I have heard that Blue Smoke has truly outstanding ribs.

Sounds good, looking forward to the opening.

Mary

i'm a transplanted texan who is up at columbia every week, so count me in!

btw, if anyone can post the actual location (i couldn't find it on the website) that would be great; i'd love to walk by one of these days.

Edited by Jammin (log)

i'm a transplanted texan who is up at columbia every week, so count me in!

btw, if anyone can post the actual location (i couldn't find it on the website) that would be great; i'd love to walk by one of these days.

Its on 12th Avenue just north of the Cotton Club and south of Fairway. Basically its under Riverside Drive.

Mary

wow.  that's 20 blocks north of columbia.  whoever said they'll be pulling in lots of the students had to be referring to the grad students.

Its actually not that far from Columbia. The north side of the campus is on 120th and the nearest cross street to Dinosaur is probably 125th. Its a ten minute walk from the west side of campus.

Granted it is closer to the area that grad students live in, especially International House. But its not that far. Remember these are not midtown blocks.

Mary

Am I right in remembering that Columbia is doing some sort of campus expansion project that will bring the edge of their active property even closer to the new Dino location? Not that it really matters - they'l do just fine evene without the student business. There's a Fairway Grocery that opened not long ago right in that general area and the onwers of Dino are pretty shrewd about locations. Both their Syracuse and Rochester places opened in what seemed unlikely spots at the time but both have worked out nicely to say the least.

One of the advantages of being up there should be more availability of nearby parkign and they'll also be able to set aside a substantial amount of space directly in front of or adjacent ot the restaurant for motorcycle parking. In Syracuse it's a treat to go there just to see the amazing bikes.

• 3 weeks later...

November 9th is now the target opening date but it's still subkect to change. Some additional progress pics have been posted on their web site and I'm still planning to organize some sort of eGullet group visit as soon as they can arrange it for us.

Some additional progress pics have been posted on their web site and I'm still planning to organize some sort of eGullet group visit as soon as they can arrange it for us.

Count in two people who used to make near weekly trips to the Dinosaur when in school at Syracuse University.

• 4 weeks later...
wow.  that's 20 blocks north of columbia.  whoever said they'll be pulling in lots of the students had to be referring to the grad students.

Its actually not that far from Columbia. The north side of the campus is on 120th and the nearest cross street to Dinosaur is probably 125th. Its a ten minute walk from the west side of campus.

Granted it is closer to the area that grad students live in, especially International House. But its not that far. Remember these are not midtown blocks.

Mary

It's not at all far. Back in the days when I had slept not a wink finishing a paper, I was known to take the bus or subway from Broadway and Tieman to 116 to hand in said paper. Point: It's really easy to get to this place from CU without walking. My guess is they'll get lots of kids, grad and undergrad alike. It will give those columbia/barnard undergrads the chance to feel like they're really slummin' it--barbecue in Harlem, trekking north of 120th?! Oh my WORD! :biggrin::shock::raz:

It's as easy as a subway/bus ride away.

Back to the pics and a bit off topic, didn't know that was the original cotton club. It's not, is it?

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

It will give those columbia/barnard undergrads the chance to feel like they're really slummin' it--barbecue in Harlem, trekking north of 120th?! Oh my WORD!  :biggrin:  :shock:  :raz: 

Hey, as a Columba undergrad and a Texas ex-pat, I resent that. :raz: I would never call eating BBQ in any neighborhood "slummin' it" :biggrin:

Well, at least it's not in Morningside Park. That's truly "forbidden" territory. Truth be told, the only place up there where you run the risk of injury or--GULP--death is at Ollie's!!!! The smell alone could kill :biggrin: Don't punish me for getting off topic a bit! :blush::wink:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

FYI - last year the city was offering tax abatements for businesses moving into the area that Dinosaur is now occupying...coincidence?

"Your girlfriend is a vegetarian, tell her she should eat rabbit...they're vegetarians too" Ali