• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

27 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

@andiesenji  Thank you so much for posting that recipe!!!!  Its good to know it can be used with other squashes, as I found an abnormally large Hubbard in my garden and was pondering what to do with it.    The recipe sounds simply delicious!   Thank you!

I forgot to add that when we had the Halloween block parties, this was a soup served in mugs.  We used a ladle and CANNING FUNNELS which made filling the mugs much neater with fewer spills.

I was congratulated for the idea by several moms, who often served soups to their families in mugs.  And by the owner of a daycare center who said she had a canning funnel but never thought to use it for anything except canning.

When I was catering, I used them all the time to fill bowls neatly with everything from soup to nuts - especially with dry things that bounce.  

P.S.  Hubbard is especially good for soups.  Roasting it first so it caramelizes a bit, produces a much richer flavor.  I used to grow some monsters - I had a band saw to cut them, sometimes cutting across so I had large "wheels" that I grilled on the barbecue instead of in the oven.

andiesenji

andiesenji

20 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

@andiesenji  Thank you so much for posting that recipe!!!!  Its good to know it can be used with other squashes, as I found an abnormally large Hubbard in my garden and was pondering what to do with it.    The recipe sounds simply delicious!   Thank you!

I forgot to add that when we had the Halloween block parties, this was a soup served in mugs.  We used a ladle and CANNING FUNNELS which made filling the mugs much neater with fewer spills.

I was congratulated for the idea by several moms, who often served soups to their families in mugs.  And by the owner of a daycare center who said she had a canning funnel but never thought to use it for anything except canning.

When I was catering, I used them all the time to fill bowls neatly with everything from soup to nuts - especially with dry things that bounce.